So I am trying to play the so "My Dearest" but it need the tuning mentioned in the title and I I am not really sure if I did correctly.
I have a tuner so basically what I did is raise the low E string half step higher but I remember that to drop to D i needed to hold the 7th fret.
So I am confused about how to tune a guitar correctly.
That is not at all how you tune to drop D, I have no idea what you're talking about. Tuning E up to F is raising it half a step, dropping E to D is dropping it down a whole step. If you have a chromatic tuner (one that shows you the note you're playing) just tune the E string up still it says F, and tune it down till it says D. Couldn't be simpler.
Quote by Jimjambanx
That is not at all how you tune to drop D, I have no idea what you're talking about.

What he means is the 7th fret on the low E string when tuned to drop D is an A. His thinking is correct. =]

Quote by den.stre9
I have a tuner so basically what I did is raise the low E string half step higher but I remember that to drop to D i needed to hold the 7th fret.

You're right. Don't overthink it. Raise the low E string up a half step. When you tune that string to F, the 4th fret will be the same as your A string instead of the 7th.
Quote by soweli
What he means is the 7th fret on the low E string when tuned to drop D is an A. His thinking is correct

He really could have explained that better, and even then that's not really an ideal way of tuning, as depending on if you have a cheap guitar, intonation won't be very good around the 7th to 9th fret.
I'm confused because I don't know what you're even trying to tube to. Are you trying to get to drop d or not? If you're going to drop d, you need to tune that low string down, not up. If you're going for FADGBe, why are you even thinking about drop d? Just tune the low string to F.

And in general, don't use "guitar tuners", that tell you string numbers rather than notes. Learn the notes of the open strings, and use a chromatic tuner.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by den.stre9
So I am trying to play the so "My Dearest" but it need the tuning mentioned in the title and I I am not really sure if I did correctly.
Let me see if I can add to the confusion and fun here.

Tuning F, A, D, G, B, e, makes the bottom 3 strings an open D minor chord, 1st inversion.

For "drop D", all you have to do is, tune the E-6 down one full tone (2 frets worth), How you know you've got that correct, is by picking the E-6, (ostensibly now D-6), along with the D-4, and listen for the octave to come into focus. Recognizing the octave sound is pretty much unavoidable.

FWIW, I never use Drop D as such. I either use a 5 string capo (*), (a capo which leaves the E-6 string open) , on the 2nd fret and play in"drop E". Or, you can tune the guitar down one full tone, (D, G, C, F, A, d), and when the capo is placed on the 2nd fret, you are in drop D tuning. This is even better than tuning drop D manually, as the chord shapes and fingerings, don't change.

(*) 5 string capos are oftentimes called, "drop D capos".