Look at this guitar:

OK, so this is a Gibson Government Series II Les Paul. From what I have found, no one has them stocked, and Ebay has a few copies, but I'd need to pay an arm and a leg. I'm sure that because of this, no one is selling these for retail price.

Nevertheless, I was hoping someone knew a place that sells that or any other guitar in the Government Series that is for sale for retail or less (used is fine).

Side Note: Where is everyone getting that pickguard? They're not on the Gibson website.
Honestly the last time I saw these guitars was 1-2 years ago and Gibson probably doesn't even make them anymore (hence why you are having trouble finding one).

Your best bet is to keep an eye out on ebay or local classifieds (depending on where you live).

Is there really anything special that you need the Govt model for? I mean to me it just looks like a studio with a different paintjob and guard.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Those Gibsons were a limited run and are not in production anymore. The pickguard was part of the standard equipment, I didn't think there was anything special about their specs- the appeal was that they used materials that had been seized in the government raids and released wince they settled their beef with the Feds and paid their fines.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Is there really anything special that you need the Govt model for? I mean to me it just looks like a studio with a different paintjob and guard.

Part because I need a guitar with a budget of $1,000 or less, and part because I really like the idea of it, the paint job, and pick guard. It just looks so awesome!

But otherwise, I guess you're right, I'd need to find another guitar. I'd thought about getting one of the Fender Strat, Tele, or Jazzmaster blacktop models, but I wasn't really sure.
Lots of good axes to be had in the $700-1000 range, from makers like Fender, Epiphone, Reverend, Godin, Electra, G&L, Agile and many, many more. ESPECIALLY if you're willing to shop used.

What are you looking to play?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I was looking for something like Les Paul specifically for the double humbuckers. I use the neck pickup more often then the bridge so I can get a nice, warm sounds. I often cover Explosions in the Sky, so a good neck pickup with a warm sound that can handle a LOT of reverb for atmospheric sounds while leading would work best. The bridge is not something I'm worrying of too much. However, I need something that can still push the amp for distortion. Like I said, I'd been thinking of getting a Fender with Blacktop pickups, they certainly have a nice sound, but I can't be sure. There is also the Fender Telecaster FMT. I love the look and sound.

By the way, I play in a christian band at my church. So, we don't use too much distortion, but I still need pickups that can pull more out. I can buy a used guitar just fine, but I'm VERY picky about how it looks. SO far, the Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster, Les Paul, and SG body styles are my favourite.

My gear is in my profile. ANything else I need to mention?
The Electra Omega and Omega Prime are nifty LPclones, and in your price range.

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/guitars

As far as I know the government series was a very limited run maybe 200 guitars and they sold out very quickly then started apearing on ebay for 5 times the original price. I'm sure the craze for them has died down a little but still not worth what you would have to pay for them.

Why not a used les paul studio? Basicly the same guitar but they can be found easily for $500. You might even be able to get a standard in your price range if you look.
This is one of my favorite guitars...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Peavey-Patriot-Guitar-w-Hardshell-Case-/161755113140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a95b26b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Patriot-guitar-solid-wood-Body-/291509342773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43df4f9235

That Super Ferrite pickup (single coil) is excellent, and the neck pickup mine has sounds gorgeous. I play it with both pickups most of the time, chimes like a bell. I use it on the neck pickup a lot too for just what you want, a nice warm sound. Not expensive, plays like it was made for me, super nice neck, well built, I found mine in a pawn shop and knew I wanted it in 30 seconds. usually not very expensive either, most people don't realize what a really nice guitar it is.

This Hamer is nice too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-XT-Series-Sunburst-A-T-Electric-Guitar-Pre-owned-Free-Shipping-/371296163248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672f9d5b0

I never owned one but have played several, same guitar Martin Barre used with Jethro Tull for about 15 years. Missed a chance to buy one a few years ago, had it on lay away and jobs ran out, had to let it go...a little adjusting on the neck pickup and it can sound really nice.

Any pickup can be tweaked for tone, raise the bass end and lower the treble and and you get a full, warm sound without too much treble. Do the opposite and you can get a good bite out of a neck pickup. Not many people know it, but Johnny Winter almost always used the neck pickup. I never realized it till I watched a few videos, pickup switch was always in the neck position and Johnny sounded like he was using the bridge pickup. Same thing, just tweak the pickup a little.

A lot of single pickup guitars with the pickup halfway between bridge and neck will get a sound real similar to what you want too. I had to change the tone capacitor in my Harmony Bobkat to get a brighter sound, for what you're describing you probably would have liked it the way it was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-Harmony-H-14-Bobkat-Electric-Guitar-Leather-Shoulder-Strap-C-/191620532394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9d7948aa

Be aware though, that guitar has a neck like a baseball bat...but a single pickup in that position might do what you want too. If you're OK with used, check around at pawn shops. Never know what you can find and you can play it to check it out before thinking about buying, and many pawn shops will make a deal if you hand them cash. I've never paid sticker price at a pawn shop.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Electra Omega and Omega Prime are nifty LPclones, and in your price range.

http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/guitars

I second this recommendation. My Omega Prime is damn near the best guitar I've ever played.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You may want to look around for a used Gibson "Goth" series guitar. They had a similar kind of color/finish. Definitely not identical to the gov series, as the goths don't have the block inlays. But, it might be close enough for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The Gov.Series may be hard to find..limited run..and..Be Willing To Pay For It Too!
I also would look into Gibson "Goth" Series..if you really have to have a blacked out paul!
Good Luck!