I bought a Randall Diavlo RD20H last year with matching cab and it sounds great, but I just need a bit more out of it. It does metal rythym playing great and has a great sound to it, but needs an extra little push when doing any single note runs or soloing. It doesn't seem to give that edge or bite that you get out of a mesa or a 6505. I'm already buying a v30 for the cab and I was thinking changing some tubes or get an od and eq. I've debated selling it for a 6505 but the 20w works much better for my living situation than 60w, so I'd rather try and get this one that extra inch that it needs to be great. So any suggestions?

Ps: my guitar is a schecter c-1 classic. I know its not the biggest metal guitar but it gets the sound I want when playing through a 6505 so it works because its great for the other genres I play as well. I hated the emg loaded guitar I owned.
Last edited by Johnsonr520 at Jul 7, 2015,
get an od. either a cheaper tubescreamer clone or a boss sd1. that'll let you see if it'll do what you want without breaking the bank.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a green rhino of pedal that helped but it didn't get it quite there. So I sold that to look for a different one. I was thinking a full-time ocd possibly
A hotter humbucker is also an option. The JB that comes in the C-1 Classic is pretty hot, but there a lot of other pickups out there that will hit your preamp harder.

A boost pedal is always a good idea. I like the Bad Monkey.

What tubes do you have in the preamp of the RD20? If they are Sovtek 12ax7wa tubes, you can definitely improve the tone by putting in something more musical.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Get an MXR Eq. I was pretty astonished what power and crunch you can get out of your amp just by pushing certain frequencies a little bit.
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
Quote by ThunderPunk

What tubes do you have in the preamp of the RD20? If they are Sovtek 12ax7wa tubes, you can definitely improve the tone by putting in something more musical.

It comes stock with Ruby tubes in it. I was thinking of getting some high gain gold pin jj tubes. Would that help?

And I'll try a mxr 10 band as well. I'll probably go buy the 10 band, an ocd, and a v30 tomorrow and hope that would do it. Id do tubes as a last resort.
Ruby rebrands tubes, so you'll have to look a bit closer to figure exactly what tube they are. They could be sovteks or shuguang/chinese. Chinese tubes tend to be higher gain. I don't know if JJ high gain tubes would be any more aggressive than the ruby tubes (if the ruby tubes are chinese).

JJ tubes tend to give a darker and thicker type of distortion. In my experience that is.

As for a speaker, you may want to consider a WGS Reaper.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Ruby rebrands tubes, so you'll have to look a bit closer to figure exactly what tube they are. They could be sovteks or shuguang/chinese. Chinese tubes tend to be higher gain. I don't know if JJ high gain tubes would be any more aggressive than the ruby tubes (if the ruby tubes are chinese).

JJ tubes tend to give a darker and thicker type of distortion. In my experience that is.

As for a speaker, you may want to consider a WGS Reaper.

It has the chinese rubys so i wont worry about that for now. And im pretty sold on the warehouse speakers after looking them up. What a solid deal compared to v30s! But after looking, it seems like the veteran 30s might be a better fit, why do you suggest the reapers?
Quote by Johnsonr520
I had a green rhino of pedal that helped but it didn't get it quite there. So I sold that to look for a different one. I was thinking a full-time ocd possibly

ah ok. you could possibly try pedals which are known to have more boost on tap than a tubescreamer (though maybe the rhino already has more compared to a TS? I haven't tried it).

did you increase the gain on the pedal a little as well?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Johnsonr520
It has the chinese rubys so i wont worry about that for now. And im pretty sold on the warehouse speakers after looking them up. What a solid deal compared to v30s! But after looking, it seems like the veteran 30s might be a better fit, why do you suggest the reapers?

I suggest the Reaper because it is a lower wattage speaker. You'll be able to drive it a bit harder and get more out of it. The mids aren't as harsh, the highs are smoother, and the low end (in my opinion at least) is a bit fuller. The Vintage 30 has more aggressive spike to it - especially in the upper-mids, which isn't a bad thing in a mix. But if you only have one speaker to work with, I'd opt for something a bit more musical and less 'stab your eardrums to death'. I love Vintage 30 speakers, but on their own they can be a bit overwhelming.

As always, there is plenty of disagreement on speakers. A Veteran 30 would sound just fine in your amp. I just think the Reaper is a better stand alone speaker in a lower wattage amp. If you had a 2x12 combo - I'd say mix a Veteran and Reaper - the mix very well.

Look up some reviews on Youtube and decide for yourself. The Reaper is a G12H30 clone.
I had one of those. they are great little amps.
to get it to scream all you need is a tube screamer.
as for tubes I loaded mine with jj everything with a 5157 in the PI and it ripped.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right