Im thinking of buying a fender mustang III because of the fact that its loud and it has built-in effects. I know that tube amps are better but i cant afford buying effect pedals should i buy the mustang?
You should follow the directions in this thread so we can help you properly - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Who told you tube amps are *better*? And why did no one tell Dimebag or Andy Summers or Alex Lifeson or - well, I'm sure you get the point.

What you like, what you want to sound like is the thing to aim for.

In the last year I've bought modelling amps by Fender, Line 6 and Vox and returned them all for a variety of reasons.

I finally settled on a Blackstar ID:15TVP. I don't know how they do it (and don't care much either) but the thing is bloody brilliant for what I need and sounds amazing. Cool effects and editing facilities just pour more sugar on an already sweet deal.

Buy what you like best within your budget.
Last edited by dubware at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by dubware
Who told you tube amps are *better*? And why did no one tell Dimebag or Andy Summers or Alex Lifeson or - well, I'm sure you get the point.

In the last year I've bought modelling amps by Fender, Line 6 and Vox and returned them all for a variety of reasons.

I finally settled on a Blackstar ID:15TVP. I don't know how they do it (and don't care much either) but the thing is bloody brilliant for what I need and sounds amazing. Cool effects and editing facilities just pour more sugar on an already sweet deal.

Honestly you can't really consider those 2 purely solid state users considering the many years they used tube amps (and the fact that they do today). Summers has used Mesa Boogie amps (Mk IIc +), Fenders (twins), Marshalls and the like (and is reputed is only use the JC120 on Synchronicity anyway). Lifeson's classic riffs and shit from the older albums are all Marshall and the newer (post 2003) stuff is all done on HK tube amps.

Dimebag sure, but that's what I would consider an 'acquired taste' if you dig his sound. AND guess what? He went tube before he died as well (Krank).

I get your point but the last two aren't really a great example IMO.

Quote by dubware

That I can agree with though.

Quote by Spambot_2
You should follow the directions in this thread so we can help you properly - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

This is what you need to do for us TS if you want help.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jul 7, 2015,
If you want a lot of versatility for practice then a modeling unit is good to have. But you aren't going to end up with 20 amps in 1, it's 20 simulations in 1 (or how ever many sims the mustang has). It can help you find what tones you like and how to get them, and what effects you would use in the future. Then you can buy a standalone amp and single stomp boxes in the future when you know exactly what you want.
Who says you can't afford effects pedals?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=joyo

Seriously, though, you will quickly outgrow any sort of perceived notion of a good tone coming from most modeling amps.
You can find great used tube amps all the time that probably are right around the price of that Mustang III. There are plenty of other amps that are just as loud, if not louder, than the Mustang.
My tube amp is only 15 watts, and if I turn it up anywhere near 12 o'clock on the master volume, I can blow the windows out of my neighbor's house.
Also, we need to know more about what you want.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly you can't really consider those 2 purely solid state users

I didn't say they were - just trying to make the point that valve driven amps are far from the only route available.

I have never used a piece of modeling gear or software that wasn’t a huge letdown. Obviously tube amps aren’t perfect, but even the worst tube amps are still better than ****īng around with modelers.
Quote by jpnyc
I have never used a piece of modeling gear or software that wasn’t a huge letdown. Obviously tube amps aren’t perfect, but even the worst tube amps are still better than ****īng around with modelers.

No, they arent.
Bad tube amps are better than bad modelers, but not good modelers. The amp TS asked about is quite good.

But do what spambot recommended TS
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Look at Jet City.
If you're absolutely sold on a modeler, you could search for a Vox Valvetronix. They have a single tube in the power stage.
We really need a little more from you.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Vyper Tube 60
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ best choice
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you don't know what tube amp you need then spend more time modelling until you know what you want. Its the whole point of modelling.

See Line 6 Amplifi or Peavy for example.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Is this going to be your first amp? If yes, a modeling amp is a great choice. I would say better than buying a tube amp + cheap effect pedals. Modeling amps sound decent for practicing and give you a lot of different kind of tones. It gets you familiar with different kind of tones and will help you with future amp purchases, because by using a modeling amp you'll learn what kind of amp tones you like and what kind of effects you need. The amp models get close enough to give you an idea of how the different amps will sound like (of course the real thing will sound better).

It's also a good choice if your current amp is a generic starter pack amp.

But yeah, it would help if you told us your budget, favorite bands and current gear, and also if you want to gig with it or just play in your bedroom.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
[quote="But yeah, it would help if you told us your budget, favorite bands and current gear, and also if you want to gig with it or just play in your bedroom.[/QUOTE"]

My budget is arround 250 dollars i play blues but i also love grunge and hard rock like nirvana and AC/DC and i want an amp that i can gig with. I have a semi acoustic Fender CD-60 CE all mahogany and im gonna buy my first electric guitar this summer (epiphone sheraton ii)
TS - where are you located?

Quote by jpnyc

I'm sorry you had bad experiences. You certainly are entitled to your opinion and generally I'm inclined to agree with most things you say but this comment here does not make sense to me. So you'd rather have the worst sounding tube amp out there over something like an Axe Fx or Line 6 Vetta? I've played a lot of amps now and honestly, my Vypyr Tube 60 is still one of my favorites.