Why the **** do they exist?

I'm 23 and mine are starting to cause problems. Two of them are impacted and they are starting to push up against my other teeth and make my mouth sore, although the wisdom teeth themselves don't seem to hurt or have cavities or anything. It's starting to get annoying though, as the pain is becoming more of an every day thing as opposed to just a few times a month.

What are your experiences with wisdom teeth, and, more importantly, how much did it cost you to have them removed?
They're an evolutionary throwback from when we were exclusively carnivores. We just never grew out of it, but give 'em a couple thousand years and it'll be the way of the vestigial tails we used to have.

I'm 23 and I don't even know if I have wisdom teeth. Like, nothing has happened back there, at all.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Got them all taken out a few years ago. Took like 20 minutes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by EpiExplorer at #33489561
They're an evolutionary throwback from when we were exclusively carnivores. We just never grew out of it, but give 'em a couple thousand years and it'll be the way of the vestigial tails we used to have.

Oh, man, are you that dweeb who throws facts into casual conversation about mundane things?

*with a voice that sounds like you're pinching your nostrils shut*

"Did you know that [...]?"

That's how I imagine Eastwinn is IRL.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Oh, man, are you that dweeb who throws facts into casual conversation about mundane things?

*with a voice that sounds like you're pinching your nostrils shut*

"Did you know that [...]?"

That's how I imagine Eastwinn is IRL.

Only to numbskulls like you, chrisp mangina
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
>have wisdom teeth come through
>achy jaws
>THE FLAP THING HAPPENS
>pain + infection
>I do not feel wiser
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
wisdom teeth granted my doctors and i the wisdom of "i have cancer" so i think they are pretty great

whenever you guys tell your wisdom teeth stories remember: mine caused the tumour in my neck to hemorrhage and push my trachea into the shape of a C & such so it could have been worse :^)
My experience?

All 4 had to come out plus two extra teeth to get the bottom ones out since my jaw is small. 6 teeth at once and the sedation was wearing off by the end of it. Fuuuuuuuuu....

I looked like a chipmunk and I ran out of pain meds fast. Glad that's over with.
Quote by Thrashtastic15 at #33489679
wisdom teeth granted my doctors and i the wisdom of "i have cancer" so i think they are pretty great

whenever you guys tell your wisdom teeth stories remember: mine caused the tumour in my neck to hemorrhage and push my trachea into the shape of a C & such so it could have been worse :^)

woah

#traChea

Quote by EpiExplorer

I'm 23 and I don't even know if I have wisdom teeth. Like, nothing has happened back there, at all.

Unlikely. In what way would extra molars have helped eat meat?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
They wouldn't, because way back when, we only ate fruit, nuts, and insects. Nuts are hard to bite through (huehuehue).

We started eating meat around the time of the Neanderthals and even now our physiology is closer to that of a pure herbivore than that of a true omnivore.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I didn't actually read that when I responded to it, but damn, it seems that the case is even worse than I thought because it's not even a "fact," just a supposition that was probably published on the Internet.

Confession: I am also "that guy." MendiWinn22 out.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Banjocal
They wouldn't, because way back when, we only ate fruit, nuts, and insects. Nuts are hard to bite through (huehuehue).

We started eating meat around the time of the Neanderthals and even now our physiology is closer to that of a pure herbivore than that of a true omnivore.

Actually, primates have been opportunistic omnivores for a very long time. There are only a small number of examples of species that are fully herbivorous(and only one that is an obligate carnivore).
Quote by Diemon Dave
In terms of australopithecines and everything up to the Neanderthal/H.erectus era, they were mostly herbivorous with the exception of insects, etc, with the odd extension into smaller mammals. We didn't need meat (and don't really now) until resources got scarce. Physiologically, we have the bodies of a herbivore-leaning omnivore, from the shape of our jaws, canines, to the length of our intestines etc. Some exceptions here and there but like in a turn-based RPG we survived because of great perception, agility, and thinking skills.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 7, 2015,
And that's why I never continued pursuing science after college.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33489725
Actually, primates have been opportunistic omnivores for a very long time. There are only a small number of examples of species that are fully herbivorous(and only one that is an obligate carnivore).

Quote by Banjocal at #33489732
In terms of australopithecines and everything up to the Neanderthal/H.erectus era, they were mostly herbivorous with the exception of insects, etc, with the odd extension into smaller mammals. We didn't need meat (and don't really now) until resources got scarce. Physiologically, we have the bodies of a herbivore-leaning omnivore, from the shape of our jaws, canines, to the length of our intestines etc. Some exceptions here and there but like in a turn-based RPG we survived because of great perception, agility, and thinking skills.

Ugh. Shut up, nerds.

"Classic MendiWinn22_Sacamano."
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by MeGaDeth2314 at #33489418
Why the **** do they exist?

I'm 23 and mine are starting to cause problems. Two of them are impacted and they are starting to push up against my other teeth and make my mouth sore, although the wisdom teeth themselves don't seem to hurt or have cavities or anything. It's starting to get annoying though, as the pain is becoming more of an every day thing as opposed to just a few times a month.

What are your experiences with wisdom teeth, and, more importantly, how much did it cost you to have them removed?

Man I am the exact same.
23 and now mine are actually starting to throb and make my mouth a little sore every day rather than just every week or so.

I am terrified of... literally everything though, so I won't do anything about it. If somehow it kills me, it kills me.
Quote by chrismendiola
Ugh. Shut up, nerds.

Hey, I'm not the nerd using an extension to UG for extra large anime avatars.
Quote by Diemon Dave
there is a two day gap in time where I last remembered getting into the ortho office. Next memory is me, two days later, ordering enough food for four people and then completely forgetting about it.

it kind of sucks, it's whatever though.

i drank a lot of yoghurt smoothies though and that was great
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
My wisdom teeth have been around for years. It's hard to brush bits of food out of them, but apart from that they haven't given me any problems.
I have nothing important to say
got em, nothing's happened so far
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by chrismendiola
Ugh. Shut up, nerds.

You're a nerd
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33489812

Neither am I.

Nerd.
Free Ali
Free Lard
23 now, had 4 of them since I was 18; 2 growing quite literally horizontally along my jawline just under the surface of the gum like some ****ing tooth shark.
Don't seem very wise to me. I just have to take toothpicks and crowbar bits of food and shit out from the inevitable flaps of gum that keep getting opened up as they move.
Quote by chrismendiola at #33489997
Neither am I.

Nerd.

yea yr using it for extra large shitty album covers instead :ssst:

Quote by MinterMan22 at #33490073
yea yr using it for extra large shitty album covers instead :ssst:

The one before this was Deja Entendu. :ssst:
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola at #33490076

there shouldnt be a :sarcasm: there tho
Quote by chrismendiola at #33490076

exactly

Quote by chrismendiola at #33490084
That was my point, nerd.

Quote by institutions at #33489809
Man I am the exact same.
23 and now mine are actually starting to throb and make my mouth a little sore every day rather than just every week or so.

I am terrified of... literally everything though, so I won't do anything about it. If somehow it kills me, it kills me.

just go get them taken out, bro. I'm going to in a couple months. It might suck but it's probably better than waiting.
Quote by Baby Joel at #33489870
there is a two day gap in time where I last remembered getting into the ortho office. Next memory is me, two days later, ordering enough food for four people and then completely forgetting about it.

it kind of sucks, it's whatever though.

i drank a lot of yoghurt smoothies though and that was great

pls god dont let this be me
Aaaaaaactually...back when dental hygiene was non-existent, when people's teeth fell out the wisdom teeth were like backup and allowed them to chew properly. Now that our teeth generally don't fall out until we're old, many people don't have enough space in their mouths to accommodate the extra wisdom teeth. Nothing to do with herbivores/carnivores etc.
cat
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33489812
:lolwut:

that's not all it does though
ggg1 ggg3

I had mine pulled when I was 16 maybe, dunno how much it cost but I'm pretty sure my insurance covered a good amount of it. All I remember is the Novocaine making me feel like a million bucks before the dentist obliterated the bottom right tooth and it came out in 3 or 4 pieces.

The two-ish weeks following this were pretty horrible, with me waking up in the middle of night in an obnoxious amount of pain, and pretty much not being able to do anything about it. All I got to subdue the pain was ibuprofen, which was worthless
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by guitarxo
Aaaaaaactually...back when dental hygiene was non-existent, when people's teeth fell out the wisdom teeth were like backup and allowed them to chew properly. Now that our teeth generally don't fall out until we're old, many people don't have enough space in their mouths to accommodate the extra wisdom teeth. Nothing to do with herbivores/carnivores etc.

Backup would be a 3rd set of existing teeth.

If anything, it's because evolution got rid of the snout before it got rid of the teeth.
Quote by behind_you
:lolwut:

that's not all it does though

Well, yea, it also puts numbers in the quote tag.

And probably other stuff I couldn't care less about
Quote by Diemon Dave
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 8, 2015,