Page 1 of 4
Is she a racist, or are these people criticize her being buzzkills who don't understand comedy?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/06/dont-believe-her-defenders-amy-schumers-jokes-are-racist/?hpid=z3

Wouldn’t it be funny if Donald Trump and the wildly popular feminist comedian Amy Schumer joined forces and ran on the same presidential ticket in 2016?

You might not think this duo has much in common, but they certainly share similar views about Mexicans. Whether joking or not, both draw on shared cultural stereotypes and use dehumanizing language that gives life to an ecosystem of racial fear and violence.

On June 15, Trump announced his run for the presidency. In his speech, he called Mexicans drug dealers and rapists. Mexico “is not our friend, believe me,” the real estate mogul said. “The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems.”

A week later, the Guardian published a piece calling out Schumer’s “shockingly large blind spot around race.” It cited Schumer’s stint as the MTV movie awards host, where she joked that Latina women are “crazy.” In one of her stand-up routines, Schumer also says, “Nothing works 100 percent of the time, except Mexicans.” In another bit, she blithely told an audience that Latino men are rapists. “I used to date Hispanic guys, but now I prefer consensual.”

Schumer responded to this criticism by explaining that she likes pretending to be an “irreverent idiot” who says “the dumbest things possible.”

“Playing with race is a thing we are not supposed to do, which is what makes it so fun for comics,” she wrote. “You can call it a ‘blind spot for racism’ or ‘lazy’ but you are wrong. It is a joke and it is funny. I know because people laugh at it.”

A blind spot is not finding humor in the systemic exploitation of Mexican workers. A blind spot is not making jokes that depict Latina women as crazy. Nor is it a laughing matter for a white woman to suggest that Mexicans, or other men of color, are natural-born rapists.

Several people have rushed to her defense, arguing that Schumer can’t be racist because she doesn’t intend to be. But the motivation of the joke-teller and what compels laughter is not at issue. What matters is the costs and consequences of these “jokes” to those being objectified. Invoking the “it’s just a joke” defense denies the social, historic and cultural implications of racial humor. It ignores the ways that disparaging jokes provide a safe vehicle to share stereotypes, release inhibitions and spread racism.

Racial jokes allow white America to claim that race no longer matters, even as there’s talk whizzing in every direction about how blacks and Latinos are outbreeding whites, are criminals and welfare queens, are “stealing jobs” and victimizing whites through affirmative action policies and denying them the right to use the n-word. Comedy allows these comforting ideas to be shared with a built-in defense mechanism that protects white innocence.

America’s soil of racism is fed by jokes and incendiary speeches, by stereotypical images and symbols like the Confederate flag. Just as Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump and other members of the Republican Party regularly disparage people of color and claim they are simply telling the truth, Schumer can use comedy as a protective shroud to deny the harm and hurt caused by her jokes. A joke is considered benign especially when told by a supposed white liberal feminist. We can distance ourselves from the anger, from the harm, from the ideology, and from the hatred of the “extreme,” but also find comfort in the same anger, ideology and hatred that is “just a joke.”

This rhetoric isn’t just ugly. It contributes to a worldview that justifies a broken immigration system, mass incarceration, divestment from inner city communities, that rationalizes inequality and buttresses persistent segregation and violence. Yet nobody wants to take responsibility for spewing rhetoric that breeds the fear that results in soaring gun purchases, that “inspires” monsters like Dylann Roof to craft a manifesto with deadly consequences.

Comedy has always played an instrumental role in advancing social justice, in pushing society to look into the mirror, to reflect on the inconsistencies and contradictions. Schumer herself has shined a spotlight on rape culture, misogyny and sexism. But when it comes to race, she betrays this tradition. Blind or not, joking or not, Schumer used her stage to play and profit off race while people of color are bearing the brunt of racial violence.

While black families are burying their dead, churches are burning, black women church pastors are receiving death threats and the KKK is planning rallies in South Carolina, Schumer is “playing” with race. While Latinos are being deported in record numbers, while “80 percent of Central American girls and women crossing Mexico en route to the United States are raped,” while children are languishing in camps in the Southwest, Schumer has got jokes, and only white America is laughing.
She's not racist.

She's not funny either though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R at #33489452
She's not racist.

She's not funny either though.

bingo
how is PoC not racist?

its literally calling them coloured but with a slight variation on the wording

I can't keep up
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
No, she's not racist.

She makes jokes, Donald Trump is a joke. Trump said those things because he truly believes it. Schumer says things to get a laugh.

Also, one of the "racist" comments they highlighted "“Nothing works 100 percent of the time, except Mexicans.” Seems like a compliment to Mexican work ethic, to me.

Here's a great example.: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/05/who-said-it-donald-trump-or-derek-vinyard_n_7730456.html

It's a game Who said it, Trump or Derek Vinyard (Edward Norton's character from "American History X". He was a white supremacist if your not familiar with the movie)

The answers are actually quite scary.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jul 7, 2015,
She's not racist lol. She doesn't discriminate, she ****s all races.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
“I used to date Hispanic guys, but now I prefer consensual.”

I thought this was funny and I'm a Hispanic guy sooo.

Not even comparable to Trump who is a dickhead.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Racist, sexist, whatever else -ist.... the witch hunt of the 21st century

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Social justice is the only kind of justice yo
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
All I know is she's definitely not funny. "Look at me I have a vagina and say naughty things every other female comedian says I'm so original and edgy!"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Social justice is the only kind of justice yo

social justice = bored people who are so well pampered that they have the luxury of caring about this shit

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
social justice = bored people who are so well pampered that they have the luxury of caring about this shit

nah fam it ain't like that...

The joke was too far but from what I have seen she's not racist nor is she funny tho. She wants to be Sarah Silverman from my observations.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Xiaoxi

So what you're saying is that people should just stop bitching whenever racism/sexism/etc happens, cause it is less important than non-first world issues?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Xiaoxi

Social justice = people making themselves offended so they can get +1s and reddit gold
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Xiaoxi

Isn't it funny how the same people mock McCarthy.
Quote by Rossenrot
Isn't it funny how the same people mock McCarthy.

To be fair he is the worst beatle
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Social justice = people making themselves offended so they can get +1s and reddit gold

Social justice = people who actually care about others
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by Neo Evil11
So what you're saying is that people should just stop bitching
Yes

Quote by Neo Evil11

Oh, no doubt.

Utterly captivated about others...and how many upvotes they will give.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11

You should tell jokes instead of Schumer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Can we get a trigger warning on the phrase "witch hunt," as a Wiccan it's upsetting.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

You should tell jokes instead of Schumer.

I mean it. I know it takes empathy, a trait you clearly lack, to understand how racism/sexism/homophobia etc. affect people. Standing up against such injustices is something that needs to be appreciated rather than condemned. If you want to go back to the 50s, be my guest, I think Saudi-Arabia or Iran might share your views on morality.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I mean it. I know it takes empathy, a trait you clearly lack, to understand how racism/sexism/homophobia etc. affect people. Standing up against such injustices is something that needs to be appreciated rather than condemned.

I think any level headed non pampered motherfucker will quickly see that the story in OP is not one of them.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
I mean it. I know it takes empathy, a trait you clearly lack, to understand how racism/sexism/homophobia etc. affect people. Standing up against such injustices is something that needs to be appreciated rather than condemned. If you want to go back to the 50s, be my guest, I think Saudi-Arabia or Iran might share your views on morality.

All I heard was blah blah blah +1 me and blah blah blah triggered. Youll have to translate that to not pussy language plz bb.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I think any level headed non pampered motherfucker will quickly see that the story in OP is not one of them.

Yeah but neo isnt level headed tho
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Xiaoxi

I appreciate that it was written, despite not really agreeing with it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
All I heard was blah blah blah +1 me and blah blah blah triggered. Youll have to translate that to not pussy language plz bb.

Thank you for proving my point.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Thank you for proving my point.

Ooo you sure showed me
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33489495
So what you're saying is that people should just stop bitching whenever racism/sexism/etc happens, cause it is less important than non-first world issues?

I think he means people should stop looking to find the next "problematic" thing, we have a bit of an outrage culture going on here atm, and everyone wants to be the hero to point out how evil a well respected person is for a certain comment or whatever

I mean I still don't understand how the people speaking on behalf of "PoCs" call them that... Coloured, person of colour... "I'm against racists! *uses racist term with slight wording difference* woo look at how progressive I am!"
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Neo Evil11
If you want to go back to the 50s, be my guest, I think Saudi-Arabia or Iran might share your views on morality.

That's the funny part. You sjw's think if we allow one joke about mexicans to slip, you'll look out the window and see black people being lynched and hanging from a tree, women being raped on the sidewalk besides the tree, and mexicans still being mexicans.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ooo you sure showed me

I know that people like you are incapable of changing their ways.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I know that people like you are incapable of changing their ways.

Dude you know so much about me you should write a book.

Amazing.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's the funny part. You sjw's think if we allow one joke about mexicans to slip, you'll look out the window and see black people being lynched and hanging from a tree, women being raped on the sidewalk besides the tree, and mexicans still being mexicans.

This was particularly targeted at the person I quoted. I don't think you'd fit in there lol. I think the Trump criticism is entirely justified, I disagree with the Schumer case.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Bladez22 at #33489532
I think he means people should stop looking to find the next "problematic" thing, we have a bit of an outrage culture going on here atm, and everyone wants to be the hero to point out how evil a well respected person is for a certain comment or whatever

I mean I still don't understand how the people speaking on behalf of "PoCs" call them that... Coloured, person of colour... "I'm against racists! *uses racist term with slight wording difference* woo look at how progressive I am!"

colours are fun ! ! :^)

"social justice" is also a stupid term.... its not justice, calling someone names on the internet isn't justice by any stretch of the imagination

Quote by MinterMan22 at #33489546
coloureds are fun ! ! :^)

racist.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22

I think people should be called out when they do say something offensive. In the end they have freedom of speech, but so do the people affected. It surely has reduced the amount of bad influences on TV. Also I prefer to be called coloured rather than brown.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Xiaoxi

lmao same guy who cites fear as best motivator
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
she joked that Latina women are “crazy.” In one of her stand-up routines, Schumer also says, “Nothing works 100 percent of the time, except Mexicans.” In another bit, she blithely told an audience that Latino men are rapists. “I used to date Hispanic guys, but now I prefer consensual.”
how are you even asking this
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
That joke is pretty racist, yeah, and it's a joke about rape.

Quote by Bladez22 at #33489532

Where do you get the idea that people think the term "coloured" is a racist term?

If you're really keen on knowing, the idea is that the order and syntax of "coloured person" places more gravity of the descriptive word "coloured." The term "person of colour" suggests a different connotation- that the person being described isn't defined by race.

I don't even see that this is a relevant topic- both in the sense that it is the topic of discussion in this thread and that so many people complain about it.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think the Trump criticism is entirely justified

But that's the other thing...

In a legitimate racist incident like what Trump said, there's still no need for sjw's. The actual affected party, in this case, Hispanics, were able to handle the issue themselves, and clearly society has become refined enough that businesses/individuals saw that it would benefit them to condemn him. That's not the result of sjw's "hard work", that's just society becoming naturally more accepting as the once "foreign" things around them become more commonplace.

But that doesn't mean this joke isn't still hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uG-svno5TU

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 4