Howdy,

How would I go about tuning a guitar down half a step using a basic tuner, by that I mean my tuner only has a couple of LEDs either side of the a tuned note.

Thanks.
With those kinds of tuners I don't think you can do alternate tunings.
Or tune to e standard first then fret the 6th fret and tune the low e to match the a. Then the low e is down a half step then tune the rest of the strings relevant to it.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by ltdguy27
Or tune to e standard first then fret the 6th fret and tune the low e to match the a. Then the low e is down a half step then tune the rest of the strings relevant to it.

Right. Before electronic tuners, we only ever needed one reference note. We tuned everything to that one reference.
Just get a chromatic tuner, and know what notes you're tuning to. Personally, I can't stand specific "guitar" tuners. I don't see any reason for a tuner to do anything other than tell me what note it's hearing.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Is it one of those tuners that can't hear sharps and flats and can only read whole notes? Those tuners are a complete and utter waste of space. My sister has one of those on her cheap Washburn and it absolutely blows my mind why anyone would design a tuner in such a way. It means that if I want to re-tune the guitar to something like Eb, I need to get my own chromatic tuner and plug it in. Why have I got to do that on a guitar that has its own built-in tuner?! It's fucking ridiculous!

Get a chromatic tuner, and throw the old tuner into a fire.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 8, 2015,

Is the way I was looking for. Bruce my guitar to itself so, no need for the tuner.

Cheers.
You can do it that way, but you won't get the guitar tuned as accurately as you're only tuning by ear.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Is it one of those tuners that can't hear sharps and flats and can only read whole notes? Those tuners are a complete and utter waste of space. My sister has one of those on her cheap Washburn and it absolutely blows my mind why anyone would design a tuner in such a way. It means that if I want to re-tune the guitar to something like Eb, I need to get my own chromatic tuner and plug it in. Why have I got to do that on a guitar that has its own built-in tuner?! It's fucking ridiculous!

Get a chromatic tuner, and throw the old tuner into a fire.

Owning a 10 USD Korg tuner of similar kind, I disagree to some degree. It was super helpful that it only recognized the tones of a specific tuning when I started out. But then my tuner has a "flat" button, meaning you can downtune at least 5 semitones from E-standard.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR at #33491600
Owning a 10 USD Korg tuner of similar kind, I disagree to some degree. It was super helpful that it only recognized the tones of a specific tuning when I started out. But then my tuner has a "flat" button, meaning you can downtune at least 5 semitones from E-standard.

My sister's Washburn's tuner has no such button.

I don't really get the argument that it's easier to recognise the tones of particular tunings, because in my situation, if the budding guitarist's favorite band plays in Eb, they're never going to know either way. I don't see what is so hard about seeing a '#' or a 'b' character after a note to know that you're half a step up/down from a whole note, even as a noob. So I don't see why the button needs to exist.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 8, 2015,
get a tuner on your phone/tablet/etc.

there are a bunch for android (i like gstrings), i am sure apple has to have one too if you have an iphone.

honestly i think i tune one note via tuner and tune all of the rest relative for that. its good at developing your ear too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
My sister's Washburn's tuner has no such button.

I don't really get the argument that it's easier to recognise the tones of particular tunings, because in my situation, if the budding guitarist's favorite band plays in Eb, they're never going to know either way. I don't see what is so hard about seeing a '#' or a 'b' character after a note to know that you're half a step up/down from a whole note, even as a noob. So I don't see why the button needs to exist.

Agreed. The only justification I've ever heard for these tuners that only recognize the tones of standard tuning is that it's for people who don't know the note names. Which is ridiculous. Everybody should know them. Even if you have no intention of getting into learning music theory, and how to build scales and chords and all that stuff, you should know the letters A though G, and what order they come in the ****ing alphabet. And you should be able to memorize which ones go to what string, and you should understand the concept that there are middle notes in between most of the letters, designated with the flat and sharp signs. These basic concepts are so simple you'd have to have a serious learning disability to not be able to figure them out in a matter of minutes. And if you're not willing to put in 5 minutes to learn the order of 7 letters that you should already know, you are WAY too lazy to accomplish anything with a guitar.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6