Hey UG! So my question is what (in your personal opinion) is the value of PRS electrics for rock and heavy metal? In particual i want to know about the Custom 24 line and the SE 24s as well.The kind of stuff I'll be playing ranges from Led Zeppelin to Metallica and Megadeth. Of course there are tons of others but those are my main influences.

So if you have an opinion on either model, just tell me what you think of them and their overall metal and rock value.

Thanks!
They can totally do that. PRSi are extremely versatile instruments.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Are any of those US-made? I don't know if the pickups and tremolos are best suited for metal.
Not crazy about the shape or the emo bird inlays. But in the end it comes down to what guitar you feel best playing.
PRSs are some of the most versatile guitars out there. The guys from Opeth play PRSs among other metal players. As long as you have the right amp you can go very far with them.
I should add the PRS SE torero is actually designed for metal.
http://www.prsguitars.com/setorero/
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by dthmtl3
Are any of those US-made? I don't know if the pickups and tremolos are best suited for metal.
Not crazy about the shape or the emo bird inlays. But in the end it comes down to what guitar you feel best playing.

The SE line isn't USA made, they're made in Korea and inspected/setup in the US.

The PRSs are good guitars for the money, especially the SE line. I'm a fan of them even though I don't own one personally. They'll do metal fine.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Paul Allender has a signature with them and it is absolutely beautiful. Just get the original rather than the reissue if possible.
Between the Buried and Me uses PRS and they have some pretty aggressive tones at times.
Quote by jman99
Between the Buried and Me uses PRS and they have some pretty aggressive tones at times.

Slightly misleading because they don't use stock pickups; Waring's limited run signature has custom pickups in it and Waggoner uses BKP Blackhawks.

That said... I have a PRS Custom 24 SE and it does basically anything I want it to. You're probably not going to get dimebag style squeals out of the tremolo but then if you want that you should definitely be using something with a proper locking, floating trem system. Apart from that... it will do anything you want, it depends much more on your amp set up than anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal, if you throw on the right pedals (overdrive, distortion, etc.)? My amp has this high gain/distortion setting that makes every guitar I plug into it sound like metal. I personally don't like or play metal, so I generally avoid that setting.

I think it would be harder to find a guitar tone that is cleaner, like for surf or acoustic or blues or whatever. Metal is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by TheStig1214
The SE line isn't USA made, they're made in Korea and inspected/setup in the US.

Some of them are made in Indonesia now. The MII quality is on par with the MIK guitars.

Quote by krm27
Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal…?

Most hollow bodies will feed back like crazy if you use them with any more gain than early Sabbath. Other than that there’s probably no electrics that somebody isn’t using to play metal.
Tons of guys using PRS now for Metal. Paul Allender, Emil Werstler, Guys from Opeth, Marty Friedman etc....
Quote by krm27
Is there any electric guitar you can't use for metal, if you throw on the right pedals (overdrive, distortion, etc.)? My amp has this high gain/distortion setting that makes every guitar I plug into it sound like metal. I personally don't like or play metal, so I generally avoid that setting.

I think it would be harder to find a guitar tone that is cleaner, like for surf or acoustic or blues or whatever. Metal is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ken

Totally agree. There could be a debate over pickups, but even most pickups will work.
SE Tremonti. Same pickups as usa model, and last time I looked I'm sure he plays metal. The LTD edition versions from 2014 is actually full body size too, about 800 quid or so. Killer guitar.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
If you have the right amp, ANY guitar is good for rock/metal. Pick the one with humbuckers that is the most comfortable for you and be picky about the amp you buy.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by krm27

Ken

+3.1415. THANK YOU! these 'can this guitar do _____' threads are driving me crazy.

there may be common 'preferences' but anything can do the job. every once in a while i will plug my fender RI tele in to one of my high gain heads and it sounds great.

do i use other guitars for metal? typically. but i wouldn't limit it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As long as your amp (or, in my case, since apartment: amp sim on my beefy PC) is good enough to really push the distortion, then you should be just fine playing Metal and Hard Rock with a PRS guitar.
Mark Tremonti, who you may know from Creed (lol) or Alter Bridge or his solo records, plays PRS guitars. His stuff isn't really metal, although it can get pretty distorted. The boys from Opeth were already mentioned, of course. Marty Friedman is another metal name. Mark Halcomb of Periphery. The guys from Between the Buried and Me. All fairly well known players (who are currently or have been in the past) in fairly well known bands!

Quote by krm27
You shouldn't shoot off about stuff you don't know about. Yes, you can crank the distortion on any guitar. But that's not what people mean when they want to know "Can X guitar play Y genre?". In this case, TS's concern should be: will the guitar become muddy sounding at high distortion levels? Good electronics and pickups that are designed to handle heavy distortion are a must.
Don't act like you can just pull a "1 size fits all". That doesn't work for t-shirts or baseball caps; why would it work for guitars? You can't just crank the distortion and expect it to sound good -- with a clean tone, clarity, good dynamics, etc. You need a guitar that can handle what you're trying to do.

It's like how you don't race a Hydunai Sonata at the Indy 500, because it's NOT a race car!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 9, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You shouldn't shoot off about stuff you don't know about. Yes, you can crank the distortion on any guitar. But that's not what people mean when they want to know "Can X guitar play Y genre?". In this case, TS's concern should be: will the guitar become muddy sounding at high distortion levels? Good electronics and pickups that are designed to handle heavy distortion are a must.
Don't act like you can just pull a "1 size fits all". That doesn't work for t-shirts or baseball caps; why would it work for guitars? You can't just crank the distortion and expect it to sound good -- with a clean tone, clarity, good dynamics, etc. You need a guitar that can handle what you're trying to do.

It's like how you don't race a Hydunai Sonata at the Indy 500, because it's NOT a race car!

Your analogy doesn't really work. First, nobody on this board can race in the Indy 500, therefore, equating the general term "metal" as the most elite in the world is silly. Second, the analogy is more like the TS asking "can a Hundai drive fast", and the answer is yes it can. Third, muddy distortion with any decent pickup is unusual, it is most likely the setup. Besides, tone is so subjective anyway.

Other than low end crap guitars, some vintage pickups, and a few other anomalies, the general player can play "metal" on most guitars. The fact is the amp, pedals and playing style have a bigger impact than guitar. I believe that was the intent of the reply that you jumped on.
Quote by Jamesplaysbass
Hey UG! So my question is what (in your personal opinion) is the value of PRS electrics for rock and heavy metal? In particual i want to know about the Custom 24 line and the SE 24s as well.The kind of stuff I'll be playing ranges from Led Zeppelin to Metallica and Megadeth. Of course there are tons of others but those are my main influences.

So if you have an opinion on either model, just tell me what you think of them and their overall metal and rock value.

Thanks!

PRS guitars have absolutely fantastic tone and you can use them for almost anything. Definitely try one out if you can.
I'm primarily a metal player and proud owner of a Custom 22. I would say yes a PRS can definitely do metal, although mines not my main guitar these days and I find the stock Dragon II pickups to personally be a little lacking when used in a metal situations compared to other pickups. That being said not all PRS come with Dragon II's and some of the others pups PRS offer are more suited for heavier styles.

I also found that mine didn't take to lower Drop Tunings very well if thats your thing. In the past I've tried Drop B and C on it and found it didn't work as well as I would have hoped, but mine also has the older "wing" tuners, and I think that played a role. AFAIK the newer ones have newer improved tuners though which should handle heavier strings better.

I keep mine in Standard and sometimes Drop D and don't really tune super low in general these days and as far as metal goes I use it all the time for playing Metallica, Pantera and Lamb of God and it usually rips when running into my Dual Rec.
The PRS Tremonti will handle its metal, to name one model. SE Tremonti maybe less so with the stock pickups. Just listen to Tremonti's solo records. Both him and 2nd guitarist Eric Friedman play PRS. Of course he's backed by some serious amps and pedals, but if that doesn't prove PRS' viability for metal, I don't know what will.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Check out a used PRS CE24 these are USA made guitars that are identical to the custom 24 in everyway except they have a bolt-thru maple neck Vs. a set neck. I have had a CE22 for over a decade and it is a truly great guitar.

And they run $900-$1200 used typically
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 14, 2015,
I want one of those PRS Swamp Ash Specials in the worst way. If you can find one of those I think it'd do metal fantastically. If I remember correctly Emil Werstler has one in his arsenal of PRS and Jeff Tuttle who used to play with Dillinger Escape Plan used one as well.
Last edited by Robbie-G at Jul 15, 2015,
Quote by MAChiefs
Your analogy doesn't really work. First, nobody on this board can race in the Indy 500, therefore, equating the general term "metal" as the most elite in the world is silly. Second, the analogy is more like the TS asking "can a Hundai drive fast", and the answer is yes it can. Third, muddy distortion with any decent pickup is unusual, it is most likely the setup. Besides, tone is so subjective anyway.

I think you missed the whole damn point. If you want good tone, you don't use a crappy (read: cheap) guitar. If you want good metal tone, you use a guitar that has pickups designed for high levels of distortion and gain.
If you want to argue over semantics while missing the entire point, then carry on down the line.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I think you missed the whole damn point. If you want good tone, you don't use a crappy (read: cheap) guitar. If you want good metal tone, you use a guitar that has pickups designed for high levels of distortion and gain.
If you want to argue over semantics while missing the entire point, then carry on down the line.

I get the entire point, I strongly believe it went over your head. Nobody (including me) suggested that a cheap guitar produced great tone (or metal tone in this case). And because pickups can easily be swapped out, most guitars (of any basic quality) can produce great metal tone.

The point (which I guess wasn't clear to you) is that most brands (in this case the TS referenced PRS) are capable of metal because the guitar brand is probably the least important factor in producing great high gain tone. This really is not a complex concept.
Quote by MAChiefs
The point (which I guess wasn't clear to you) is that most brands (in this case the TS referenced PRS) are capable of metal because the guitar brand is probably the least important factor in producing great high gain tone. This really is not a complex concept.
That was not what was originally said. If you want to continue discussing this, however, you can PM me.
I use the singlecut with dimarzii titans in drop c. Sounds ****ing MASSIVE

Although in the past my CE22 sounded clearer, must be the snap from the bolt on neck.
Quote by Paroxysm
I use the singlecut with dimarzii titans in drop c. Sounds ****ing MASSIVE

Although in the past my CE22 sounded clearer, must be the snap from the bolt on neck.

the Dragon II's are pretty clear but not super high output
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Opeth and Anthrax guitarists have both used them. I don't see a problem with a PRS for metal.