Start by hi passing to at least 90 to 100 hz, maybe higher depending on the track. Then use compression- some people use a light compressor first (about 2db of makeup) and then a heavier one, but i usually just use one compressor with about 5-6 makeup gain (~6.5 ratio, and 5-6 gain reduction on moderate volume parts of the vocal track). If you need to more aggressively even it out you could try a strAight up limiter
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Well my specialty is mixing vocals, and basically what the previous guy said is correct. If you really want to get the volume pretty consistent across dynamic vocals you have to lower the dynamic range. Basically a compressor with a higher ratio (4:1+) should do the trick. However, the more ideal thing to do would be to automate the volume sliders in your DAW to get consistent volume.

I also tend to like to use parallel compression on vocals to help retain the dynamics while adding that compressed sound.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
You could try another trick - multiple parallel compression. Basically either feed the main vocal into several different busses or copy main vocal into several tracks with different compressors set for different things, like one to capture early attack, another mid, another just to add a little color and then send the whole thing to a master channel with same compressor, verb, etc. to create the same space. Works really well but you'll have to know what you're doing.

Or you can go completely opposite of that and just ride the faders.

There's no wrong way as long as the end result sounds right.
+1 to both guys about volume automation. Even with compression on the vocals, I usually have to apply some volume automation throughout my song depending on what is going on to get it just right all throughout.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Bud, at those dB changes (which I would call drastic) you need to do gain staging. What that means is, you need to cut the areas that are way higher dB than others and drag them down a notch. The visual form of the waveform will give you an idea. But you need to keep it casual with gain staging otherwise you'll kill your vibe.

After an inaudible and clean gain staging, you can apply a compressor which will actually allow you to compress the vocals less, which means you can keep the lively sound in there after the FX chain.

Edit: Missed the comments above, which advises you towards some volume automation. That works great as well if you're comfortable with automations.
Last edited by Sammetry at Jul 11, 2015,