On the PRS SE 24 Floyd model, the tremolo is advertised as a Floyd... But is it a real or simply a liscenced Floyd? I ask this obviously because of the obvious difference in quality between the two.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance!
It's an FR 1000 series, which is basically an Original Floyd, made in Korea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
PRS Guitars does not cut corners. Their stuff is first rate across the board. You will be happy with anything that PRS produces, unless you are abusing mind-altering drugs.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It's a real Floyd - of which there are several versions. Those who come on pretty much everything these days are OEM-products made in Korea, called the FR-1000 Series. They are supposed to be of the exact same specs as the Original, German made variant, but be more affordable for manufacturers. That of course means corners are cut somewhere, or otherwise that wouldn't be possible - but it's a compromise that's fine for most.

You simply couldn't get a bridge that in itself retails for 321 euro (today on Thomann.de) on a guitar that costs 700 euro otherwise - that speaks for itself.

Quote by FatalGear41
PRS Guitars does not cut corners. Their stuff is first rate across the board. You will be happy with anything that PRS produces, unless you are abusing mind-altering drugs.

No need to blindly praise everything they do. They make pretty good stuff - but the SE-series are made in factories that mass produce stuff for a wide range of brands, and it's hard to see how those could be so much better than anything else with similar specs produced at the same places...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
It's a real Floyd - of which there are several versions. Those who come on pretty much everything these days are OEM-products made in Korea, called the FR-1000 Series. They are supposed to be of the exact same specs as the Original, German made variant, but be more affordable for manufacturers. That of course means corners are cut somewhere, or otherwise that wouldn't be possible - but it's a compromise that's fine for most.

You simply couldn't get a bridge that in itself retails for 321 euro (today on Thomann.de) on a guitar that costs 700 euro otherwise - that speaks for itself.

The reduced costs are in labor. Labor in Korea, despite being a developed country, is considerably cheaper than Germany's.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've played one myself and it's a great guitar. Great neck and just nice playability. They look killer too. If it's your first Floyd-Equipped guitar, then it may be tricky to get used to (especially FR maintenance), but in due time you get used to it. I'd say get one
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by HomerSGR
No need to blindly praise everything they do. They make pretty good stuff - but the SE-series are made in factories that mass produce stuff for a wide range of brands, and it's hard to see how those could be so much better than anything else with similar specs produced at the same places...

There is nothing blind about it. I have been around long enough to see the best and the worst. PRS has yet to produce a lemon, which is something you cannot say about any other major manufacturer. That is to be commended!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by HomerSGR
On the whole, I've heard better things about PRS than about 90% of the other major manufacturers. That speaks volumes.
Quote by oneblackened
The reduced costs are in labor. Labor in Korea, despite being a developed country, is considerably cheaper than Germany's.

Yes, but that still doesn't mean the workers are equally skilled or treat the manufacturing process equally. The FR2000 mounted on my USA Charvel is poorly finished (the black paint is falling off), but it works well so I have nothing against them.

Quote by FatalGear41
There is nothing blind about it. I have been around long enough to see the best and the worst. PRS has yet to produce a lemon, which is something you cannot say about any other major manufacturer. That is to be commended!

PRS aren't producing the SE series. They are produced by World Musical Instruments Corporation, South Korea and PT Wildwood, Indonesia.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
World is known for doing very good work, for what that's worth. Never heard of PT Wildwood.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
It's also the first I hear of PT Wildwood. Looks like they make guitars for ESP, Schecter and Jackson.
If they're making the Pro Series Jacksons, then I fully trust them to make good shit. The new Indonesian Pro Series are freaking great.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
If they're making the Pro Series Jacksons, then I fully trust them to make good shit. The new Indonesian Pro Series are freaking great.

Looks like it. They also used to make most of the X-Series, after Harmony stopped making them in India, but which more and more now Jackson is transferring to Cort. I mistakingly thought it was WMI that made guitars for Jackson.

Good to hear that the Pro Series is great. I'm looking into getting one.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 9, 2015,