i am considering picking up a new amp one of these days (unfortunately not very soon).

i like the soldano tone a lot. i haven't played a soldano hot rod 50 though, and am wondering how it compares to jet city.

i owned four 2112RC's (three were DOA) and a JCA50 head, and they were just OK. they didn't really fulfill the soldano tone i was looking for then, i haven't played a jet city in a long time. i didn't think they were that great, and i am probably more a tone snob now than before .

how does the 50w hot rod adds up to a similar jet city?

every demo of the hot rod i have loved, but i can't just get my hands on one, and JCA has disappointed me overall. i will have a budget maxing out at a used hot rod, not interested in paying more.

thoughts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Jaded Faith SLO modules are awesome, man. Seriously, when are you going to come to terms with the RM100 being the amp you need?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Jaded Faith SLO modules are awesome, man. Seriously, when are you going to come to terms with the RM100 being the amp you need?

i think when cows fly upside-down.

honestly ts just not what i want to do to each their own.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I've got a second SLO module being custom made by Jaded Faith for me atm.
Friggin love 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I love Soldano too, kinda pissed that I passed at one of their single channel heads that was going dirt cheap a few years ago. It sounded heavenly but was a single channel and I needed a 3 channel head at the time. Now, I totally regret it. I think it was the Avenger but am not sure. I don't think Jet City can sound that good but I am judging mainly on the video clips.
Upgrading the OT on a Jet City should go a long way towards bridging the gap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical
I love Soldano too, kinda pissed that I passed at one of their single channel heads that was going dirt cheap a few years ago. It sounded heavenly but was a single channel and I needed a 3 channel head at the time. Now, I totally regret it. I think it was the Avenger but am not sure. I don't think Jet City can sound that good but I am judging mainly on the video clips.

this is what i was looking for. i am fine for single channel, so thats not a problem.

that is how i feel about the JCA stuff overall. i played a bit and didn't catch the buzz, but soldano has to be better, at least they all sound that way... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
My JCA has all the components upgraded and it's getting there

But seriously i replaced all the caps with mallorys, the resistors with metal film, the filter caps with... Some US brand, I forget.

Still got stock speakers so that's next to do. And then the transformers.

The transformers are going to be hampering your tone the most.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
The output tranny is the bottleneck. They aint cheap and it's a cheap amp.
Throw a Heyboer into it or probably better, an O'Netics. The guy at O'Netics used to work at De Young who make the Soldano ones. Both would be good. Get the cheapest.
You just got to look at the OT on a JCA to know it's cheap crap. Replacing it'll totally open it out.
But you're in the US where a used Soldano may be no more expensive. Do the sums and see.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 8, 2015,
I didn't like the 20.
I think the slo sounds a bit different then the avenger.
My jca50 was pretty good after I modded it but I'd stlil rather have a soldano.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Playing that Soldano Avenger was another "wow" moment for me, something which comes rare, haven't been impressed with many other amps and I'm talking expensive stuff here. Honestly, in all my years of playing there not many moments like that, for me the amps that "made me poop my pants" so far have been:
Soldano Avenger
VHT Sig X (now Fryette)
Mesa Triaxis (preamp) into their tube power amp
Matchless Chieftain
Marshall JMP-1 (preamp)

...and unfortunately I don't own any of these...eh, life goes on.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I didn't like the 20.
I think the slo sounds a bit different then the avenger.
My jca50 was pretty good after I modded it but I'd stlil rather have a soldano.

Somebody bought my custom Decatone for the Deyoung transformers and the Hot Rod 100 Avenger for almost new prices.

The 100W Lucky 13 I got from GC for 1100 sold for 1700.

^ Might sell the Hot Rod 100 Plus and another Decatone (with stock transformers).
Stuffs selling for crazy prices right now. It's still cheaper for me to build all the soldano stuff though. Which I'll get to eventually.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
someone on another forum was just talking about this the other day- apparently the jca 50 has a couple of bright caps which the hot rod doesn't have. supposedly snipping those helps a lot (though the transformer etc. as the others are saying should also help).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
someone on another forum was just talking about this the other day- apparently the jca 50 has a couple of bright caps which the hot rod doesn't have. supposedly snipping those helps a lot (though the transformer etc. as the others are saying should also help).

Which one? I still have 1 left from when MF sold the 50W combo for $300. If it's simple, I might try it.
^ http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/693333/#Comment_693333

(There's more info throughout that thread if you can be bothered reading it. I think that's the post with the most useful info, though, but I did just quickly skim it. )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No problem. I haven't corroborated it, just to clarify. But that guy is normally bang-on. He's pretty much the unofficial resident amp tech over there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Derek, I share your opinion on the Jet Cities. Never quite understood the hype. I've played the Hot Rod and no Jet City will ever come close to that yummy goodness.

Blasphemy. It's the forum's most recommended amp for peeps in the US and Europe!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Derek, I share your opinion on the Jet Cities. Never quite understood the hype. I've played the Hot Rod and no Jet City will ever come close to that yummy goodness.

i just never got it. i am definitely glad to hear that the hot rod is way better. and definitely glad to know i am not the only person who is disappointed with jet city. i have a feeling mike cashed in pretty good though pumping out more or less simple SLO circuits to the masses in europe, big dollars in that.

how is everybody buying amps these days? i got my rockerverb off of reverb, i got ****ed by GC used online site a while ago so i am hesitant. people on my CL are stoopid. crazy prices on everything and nothing really that great. the used market here royally sucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!