i am mainly generally curious on opinions regarding having that SC in the neck position vs. a humbucker.

i was messing around my ibby and using the middle SC, and finding how i just didn't like it (true velvet). it just didn't sound that great to me. i was looking at some jacksons with a HSS setup and i don't know if i would like having a SC in the neck at all.

i am talking ONLY about superstrats.

thoughts?

and also, i like SC's for some things, i am just not sure how they go along with me on this scenario.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
single coil really is for guys who want best of both worlds. a lot of leads are played on the neck pickup of strats. i've had both configurations over the years and can't really think of a true advantage per se. if you run a hot humbucker then it's tough to balance sound with single coil. singles give a nice cleanish sound for leads whereas sometimes humbuckers can get a little muddy in the neck.
Don't actually have any experience with HSH guitars.

My experience with HSS guitars has generally been positive. I own a couple, and I'm actually looking to get more- Parkers, Godins, Codellas, some others.* But I play a lot of stuff that often gets played with HSS setups- blues, surf/spy/space, Latin...

Does that describe your playing?

* If I can find one, I warn a fret-King Super 60SP (P90/S/S).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
single coil really is for guys who want best of both worlds. a lot of leads are played on the neck pickup of strats. i've had both configurations over the years and can't really think of a true advantage per se. if you run a hot humbucker then it's tough to balance sound with single coil. singles give a nice cleanish sound for leads whereas sometimes humbuckers can get a little muddy in the neck.

i do agree for sure. i use the neck pickups on my strats for a lot. definitley good tones.

but on superstrats, i am not too sure how they are for me. i use the neck humbucker for leads on my presiges' and never find a use for the center SC, and it does hold up to it volume wise. i don't think i would be happy with a SC in the neck of a superstrat for metal/leads.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Don't actually have any experience with HSH guitars.

My experience with HSS guitars has generally been positive. I own a couple, and I'm actually looking to get more- Parkers, Godins, Codellas, some others.* But I play a lot of stuff that often gets played with HSS setups- blues, surf/spy/space, Latin...

Does that describe your playing?

* If I can find one, I warn a fret-King Super 60SP (P90/S/S).

i just go back and fourth on guitars, most have a certain purpose. my go to metal lead guitars are my ibanez prestiges, i use LP"s/USA wolfgangs for the more metal riffing, i use one SG for the broots in C#std, etc.

i play a lot of blues, on teles and strats, but i use superstrats for metal.

i am just more or less curious on the HSS configuration.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
We'll, HSS Superstrats helped define the glam metal sound of the 1980s, so ther's that.

For me...I think of them as a parallel evolution of guitar like HH guitars with split coils- they're for people who want the balls of the HB in the bridge position, but want some of that singlecoil tone in the middle or neck. ESPECIALLY if you want some out of phase tones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
We'll, HSS Superstrats helped define the glam metal sound of the 1980s, so ther's that.

For me...I think of them as a parallel evolution of guitar like HH guitars with split coils- they're for people who want the balsa of the HB in the bridge position, but want some of that singlecoil tone in the middle or neck. ESPECIALLY if you want some out of phase tones.

well phrased.

i just see a humbucker more handy, as you have aid you can run a split coil. but then again you can get a SC sized HB. its all preference, but i don't think i would want a SC for metal, not in the neck for leads at least. that is what liqui-fires are for. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
well phrased.

i just see a humbucker more handy, as you have aid you can run a split coil. but then again you can get a SC sized HB. its all preference, but i don't think i would want a SC for metal, not in the neck for leads at least. that is what liqui-fires are for. lol.

when you are talking metal then yeah humbucker. when i had my HSS guitar back i the early 80s i rarely used the neck or middle pickups except for clean parts. honestly i rarely used anything but the bridge pup for a lot of years. only when i got really into strats did i start to use the other pickups. now i use the neck pup on my BC Rich or SG all the time.
There are other options besides singlecoil-sized HBs out there, too. Rio Grande makes a singlecoil-sized P90- the Dirty Harry- which is also the basis for their Dirty Harry HB. That one is literally 2 DHs in a HB housing, so when split, you get the DH tone. So, if you had a HSS or HSH equipped with those Rio Grandes, it would be a nice tonal match at each position.

The Lace Alumitone pickups are made in such a way that their voicing is somewhat independent of their shape. The standard singlecoil-sized ones sound a lot like the standard HBs.

The HSS and HSH are just pickup configurations, and what you put in them (and the controls they're equipped with) is what's important. And "superstrat" is just a body shape. The HSS and HSH configurations don't show up a lot on LP-shape bodies (but they DO show up) mostly due to tradition, and how people are used to seeing these guitars.

I think HSH/HSS guitars are the most versatile available.

Mine are mostly 24-fret, 15-16" radius, 25" (or thereabouts) scale. Controls are usually a five-way, a master volume/master tone and 1-3 miniswitches. Most of mine are neck-through (smooth neck heel), have forearm contours, tummy cuts and are very comfortable to play. Most are solid mahogany (body and neck), koa, or maple and most have ebony fretboards.

I have one oddball (Carvin DC-135) HSS configuration that arrived with three miniswitches (each one is a pickup on-off switch) plus volume and tone. You can obviously turn the guitar completely off by turning off all three switches, and that's a cool feature until you do it accidentally during a solo in the middle of a gig. But you can also turn on all three pickups at once.

The Gibson MIII (yes, they put out a superstrat in HSH configuration, but the MIII configuration was also available in a Les Paul) has an interesting setup. There's a master volume, master tone, five-way and one two-way miniswitch. With the mini in one position, the guitar split both humbuckers and you have, essentially, a strat. The pickups are powerful enough to split into single coils that have the same power as a standard strat and the five-way gives you the usual combinations. With the mini in the other position, you get just humbuckers, and positions 1-3 give you bridge only , bridge+neck and neck only. The fourth position gives you the neck position HB with an inductor (choke) that they call an "enhanced" neck position, and the fifth position is OFF. This can produce some interesting effects. Strum in the off position and then flip the mini.

The single coil size humbucker in the neck position has some serious benefits. I'm using a DiMarzio Fast Track II in a couple of guitars now (including one LP).

That particular pickup was originally designed to be a hot (18K+) bridge pickup for SSS configuration strats, but in the neck position it's pretty amazing. With most guitars, a full-width neck HB sounds muddy on the lower strings. That's due to interference issues caused by the distance between the coils. Reduce the width of that magnetic field and things begin to clear up. You've heard this happen with single coils, P90's, mini-hums and it definitely happens with single-coil size humbuckers. Doesn't seem to matter if they're stacked or side-by-side (the Fast Track II is side-by-side). If you're looking for clarity and some amazing lead tone out of a neck position, it's definitely worth a look.

Most people who buy HSS or HSH guitars probably spend 90% of their time on the bridge pickup, but with the proper set of pickups and the right control setup, there are a LOT of usable sounds.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 8, 2015,
I love superstrats.

I probably prefer HSH if push comes to shove- for heavier stuff (which is what I'd tend to be playing on a superstrat) a neck humbucker is probably more useful to me than a single coil.

it does depend on how you use the superstrat, as well- if you're more of a strat-type player, but want more grunt in the bridge position, then HSS makes a lot of sense.

though dspellman makes a good point about there being a variety of different types of single coil-sized pickups available. I've only really tried the hotrails (and hate it), but it may well just be that specific pickup. But it makes it hard to buy anything else in the same style when I know I hate it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have to plug my guitar here : HSS Silhouette Special - it's fantastic. I don't know if it's a super strat, but kills ! The bridge pickup is a tad weak for heavier music though.

HSH guitars do not capture the neck pickup single coil sound well at all, but the middle and quack tones are decent enough.
For metal leads you should stick with a humbucker in the neck - there is a volume drop/tone change from Bridge Humbucker to single coil.

The Xotic guitars are pretty amazing though - Eric Gales gets into some pretty heavy territory with his neck single coil. They're wildly expensive though...
Quote by Dave_Mc

it does depend on how you use the superstrat, as well- if you're more of a strat-type player, but want more grunt in the bridge position, then HSS makes a lot of sense.

I agree. I have a Godin Velocity (which sits in a strange area between a Strat and a Superstrat in my opinion), and the reason I got it was for its versatility. For chords/rhythm I can get a great metal/hard rock tone from the bridge, and a nice twang/jangle from the neck. Some Superstrats have 24 frets, which affect the position of the neck single coil, so you may not get a strat-like sound out of it.

I rarely use the middle single coil on its own so I can't comment on that
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
I love the Velocity! Wish I had one.

Why do you consider it between Strat & Superstrat?

It's great

I guess it's a mix of the hardware and the finish. It has a 6 screw vintage tremolo and 22 medium frets as opposed to a Floyd rose or Kahler and 24 jumbo frets like most Superstrats. Mine has a very 'metal' clear natural finish On the other side of the coin there's a nice high output humbucker (SH-5), an active switch and a thin satin neck.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by reverb66

(a) HSH guitars do not capture the neck pickup single coil sound well at all, but the middle and quack tones are decent enough.

(b) For metal leads you should stick with a humbucker in the neck - there is a volume drop/tone change from Bridge Humbucker to single coil.

(a) True, but then HSS doesn't capture the neck humbucker sound well at all It just depends on which you need more, as I (and you in (b)) said.

Quote by BlueIceBox
I agree. I have a Godin Velocity (which sits in a strange area between a Strat and a Superstrat in my opinion), and the reason I got it was for its versatility. For chords/rhythm I can get a great metal/hard rock tone from the bridge, and a nice twang/jangle from the neck. Some Superstrats have 24 frets, which affect the position of the neck single coil, so you may not get a strat-like sound out of it.

I rarely use the middle single coil on its own so I can't comment on that

Yeah, that's a good point. If you have a superstrat with the right number of frets (really 21 or 22, since a regular vintage-style 21 fret strat doesn't have the neck pickup tight up against the fretboard) and a similar style bridge (i.e. not a floyd rose), then with HSS 60 of a strat's tones should be more or less completely authentic.

With HSH that drops to 20% Though as reverb66 said, the in-between tones (at least with judicious humbucker selection) are not too bad (though not 100% either).

Just depends on which you need- as I said, if you want more or less a strat but with a bit more grunt available, go HSS. If you want more grunt as the main aim, but with a few passable strat-ish tones available (better than HH), then go HSH.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally, the Godin xtSA is currently the #1 on my HSH G.A.S. list:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Personally, the Godin xtSA is currently the #1 on my HSH G.A.S. list:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

I misspoke (typed?)- the xtSA is #2 on that list. The Vigier Surfreter is #1 by virtue of it being fretless...

http://www.vigierguitars.com/guitares-56-0.php?cat=12&souscat=43&type=tous