Hey Guys,

I need a little help! Me and my band are trying to play Dani California from Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now I know that there is a wah pedal in the end of the verses, a distortion pedal (boss ds-2) in the chorus and wah+big muff in the solo. At least thats what I use to recreate the sound the best as I can.

The problem is, when the solo comes in after the last chorus I don't seem to have enough time to turn the ds-2 off and turn on both the wah and the muff!!!

It creates a big pause that breaks the song.. Do I leave the ds-2 on? Is there some kind of equipment I need to purchase? What do you guys think? How would you do it?

Much thanks!
I would use a multi-effects pedal and just change patches for different time in the song... One patch change can do multiple things at one go.
do you mean the solo that starts at 3:50 and sorta sounds like purple haze by jimi hendrix?

If so, I think there is distortion on the solo, no? I would try it with the distortion on.

If you really prefer with distortion off, I would turn off the distortion a bit before the time and make sure to step on the wah at the correct time. Continuity is more important

EDIT: I hadn't read about the muff as well. I don't think your fans are going to see a huge difference if you switch between the DS1 and the muff a bit before the solo actually starts and step on the wah when the solo starts
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 8, 2015,
I don't have a multi-effect and dose things tend to cost a lot so I'm going to go with either leave the distortion on through the hole time(maybe use amps distortion?) or I will start the pedal change a little sooner
Quote by MadMark1989
I don't have a multi-effect and dose things tend to cost a lot so I'm going to go with either leave the distortion on through the hole time(maybe use amps distortion?) or I will start the pedal change a little sooner

I think with a little practice, you'll be able to make it flow very well, you just need to work at it.
I'm not 100% on my answer but I'll try.Couldn't you leave the wah pedal on the on position but with the toe up position so when go to use it its ready to go and all its needs is rocking.Regarding having the ds2 in play then switching to the muff wouldn't a boss line selector pedal achieve this.Have line A set up for the ds2 and have line B setup for the muff and wah.

Apologies if I'm completely wrong.
My old band always closed with the song. There's two ways I do it
1) Programmable Pedal switcher. 1 patch for distortion, one for muff, one for wah+ whichever one of those 2 allows for the wah to come through the most (just so you know, the wah part is pretty layered as far as production goes, so you might not sound as thick). Either that, or a one button switch that you put the wah and muff through and then into the DS-2.

2) There's a brief second or so (3:46-3:47) in between the end of the chorus and the start of the solo that's basically white noise. Hold the last note or chord, turn dist. off and muff on, then go into the solo. That keeps the flow going, but if you want to keep things going, you'll have to use the muff for the solo when you turn the wah on. That's how I used to do it before my Joyo, if I remembered to bring eveything and was focused enough to not miss the spot haha. The "one button turns on two buttons" is a bit more efficient, less tap dancing.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 8, 2015,
well, i would say you probably dont nessisarily need the muff, or perhaps stack em both and see how it sounds? get a boost with a tonal adjustment and stack it on top of the boss?

wah is simply. just turn it off a few seconds before you need and then work teh boost / gain for the solo a few seconds after, give yourself a second or so prep before teh solo with your effects right so you are not fumbling. the crowd wont notice i promise.

that song is relatively easy. not a crazy immidiate need to have everything at once. some songs go from clean to like modulated distorted effects at all once. that is hard. Incubus comes to mind where it can go drom heavy distortion to like clean with delay / modulation in an instant. thats nearly impossible to pull off with individual foot clicks.

you need a true bypass looper and make your own loops or use a midi switcher or multi effect to get that.

or hire a sound guy to run your effects for you.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_

or hire a sound guy to run your effects for you.

Carl Martin Octa-Switch will be cheaper in the long run.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i dont get it. for the rythym there is no wah in the chorus or after leading up to the solo . this shouldnt even be an issue.

in teh recording, there is a lead singing line behind teh chorus leading into the solo...is that what you mean?

in teh interim parts there is some what but the general strumming it should be easy to go from slight crunch verse, heavy crunch chorus, right into boosted tone solo with very little mess. the end of the solo kicks on the wah for the all out pentatonics shred mess at the end. or perhaps some "prince Lets go crazy" style flanger in there. cant tell. i dont own a flanger but i wouldnt doubt it. i can see some light flanger being applied.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)