I have recently been practicing pinch harmonics with one string strikes during solos. I was wondering how you get that really high pitch goodness like let's say "Cemetery gates". Are the playing chords and doing the harmonics or is that just one note? Whenever I do it with my my amp on the ultra channel I can't seem to get the same intensity. What is the best setup? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tyson
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Hot pickups, gain and Zakk Wyldes thumbs!

Seriously though, use your bridge pickup, medium to high gain and really dig in hard and aggressively with your hand. Its very much about practice and knowing where and how hard to hit the strings
There's a lot going in, first it is technique, then the right setup, low action is usually a problem, so have to be at mid action setup, high output buckers or actives into high basin amp. Some compression/overdrive can help, but it is mainly technique as Paco DeLucia could do it with acoustic guitar.
I have duncan hotrails in my retrorocket (pretty much a strat) with Peavey XXX Super 40. Will I be able to achieve something half decent?
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Too much gain.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
lots of mids, fair bit of gain and compression. bridge pickup, guitar controls up full.

a tubescreamer or (even better) boss sd1-style OD pedal used as a boost will help since they bump your mids and add compression.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Randall warhead and crank the gain. Since you have a tube amp you might need to use an EQ pedal or a different bridge pickup to get that shrill solid-state tone.

Also, practice obsessively. Dimebag and Zakk Wylde were/are able to pop those squeals so well because they started young and practiced to the detriment of everything else in their lives.
Hotrails and a XXX should be sufficient. When I was learning it helped me to play the tracks without the pinch until I knew the riff inside out so I could concentrate on getting a huge harmonic.

Also helps to just fool around playing songs or riffs that you already know and adding squeals in random places for fun.

Without seeing your technique its hard to give tips but you should be holding the pick pretty close to the tip (or using jazz III's), dig in hard to the string so that when it releases the flesh of your thumb brushes the string.

Don't worry too much about targetting a single string, the rest of your hand can mute the other strings.

The theory is exactly the same as a natural harmonic but you are using your thumb to touch the node so if you cant get a squeal for a certain note, try picking it hard repeatedly and moving your hand up and down the length of the string until you have an idea where it sounds best.

You will also find several harmonics for each note so just go with the strongest.
cemetery gates uses a floyd and he pulls up on it to get that really high raised tone at the end. but the technique still applies.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Why do I lose my treble and my notes sound flat while on my ultra channel in the higher frets?
technique is the key. sure distortion helps bring it out but technique is the real answer. if you can't get it without a bunch of help then the issue is your playing. as metnioned acoustic players can do it.

your best bet is to find the harmonic nodes as they work the best.
Yes, Sir. I definitely have my work cut out. I am willing to put in the work. Thanks, for all the input.
craziest settings on a pedal for pinch harmonics, no BS, is the Boss Metal Zone with everything cranked to 10. and when you're not in the mood for pinch harmonics the Boss Metal Zone also makes a great paper weight.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
I can get pinch harmonics out of an acoustic. Do it all the time. Clean amp, no effects, no problem.

Learn to hit the harmonics every time, clean, then worry about getting them to stand out. Certain spots on the strings get better results, many people like about a half inch before the neck. I like just over the end of the neck too.

Any amp will work, to bring out those harmonics I use an overdrive pedal set for just a boost, no extra distortion. My Fender Champ will do the trick. Put the right pedal in front of it, the thing will absolutely scream. Put my Marshall Bluesbreaker in front of my Super Reverb at bedroom volume, same thing. The Bluesbreaker will get a good amount of distortion if I turn the gain up, bridge pickup and it will just about match the guitar sound on Train Train by Blackfoot or a lot of ZZ Top songs.

Again though, learn to get the harmonics you want every time with a clean sound. I do it with my acoustic all the time. Clean guitar or unplugged electric...but it takes a lot of practice and learn where on the string to grab those harmonics. I hold the pick so only a tiny bit hits the string and my thumb hits too. I found out how by accident in the late 60's. Then learned to master it because of Billy Gibbons...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
I can get pinch harmonics out of an acoustic. Do it all the time. Clean amp, no effects, no problem.

^^This.

That said, however, for really screaming harmonics that sustain forever, I've found that a Tubescreamer or [insert other overdrive pedal here] really helps them stand out. That, and having newish strings and a sharp/not overly worn pick. Interestingly enough, I've also found that reverb and delay with a touch of chorus can add a liquid, musical sweetness to the harmonics as well -- I call it the David Gilmour sound.

But again, none of it matters if you can't get harmonics out of a clean electric or acoustic guitar.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I am getting better I noticed the pick angle is key. Those natural harmonics are tough for me.
I use a pick too - no thumb.

Make sure your fretting finger is letting the string ring a bit underneath and not muting it. A lot of it is timing and technique as mentioned. You should be able to practice the technique with the amp and pedals turned off.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I use a pick too - no thumb.

Make sure your fretting finger is letting the string ring a bit underneath and not muting it. A lot of it is timing and technique as mentioned. You should be able to practice the technique with the amp and pedals turned off.

I think you're talking about natural harmonics
If I read it right anyway.

He's asking about artificial harmonics
To briefly confirm what Paleo Pete said
ITS ALL TECHNIQUE.
Of course some gain helps.
Hell, I can get pinch harmonics on a classical guitar with just my fingernail and thumb.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 10, 2015,
How do you let it ring and not mute it. Are you suppose to just lightly touch the string so it tickles you finger or just so it touches the top of the fret for natural harmonics?
Last edited by tysona23 at Jul 10, 2015,
Quote by tysona23
How do you let it ring and not mute it. Are you suppose to just lightly touch the string so it tickles you finger or just so it touches the top of the fret for natural harmonics?

you have to get a feel for it and that is part of the technique. this will (as always, sorry) take some time and practice. it is easier to get harmonics at that the harmonic nodes but with practice you canget them all over (some are easier than others and some are fairly tough to get)
Quote by tysona23

To get natural harmonics you just lightly touch the string with your left hand. ie. no fretting at all.
Pinch harmonics are different. With pinch harmonics it's all about the double strike with the right hand. You can go from pick to meat of the thumb or from the back of the nail onto the pick. Pinch harmonics are much harder to get right and requires a lot of practice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification