Okay so I've made a post a while back about how my high e string keeps breaking, and its still happening . I bought a MIM strat 7 months ago and already the high e broke 4 times. The third time around I decided maybe it was my restringing that was the problem so I got the guitar setup at GC literally a month ago. Turns out my guitar actually did need a setup as the action was too high, although I think the guy didn't really do so well adjusting string height (from what I hear it's supposed to be like an arc? and it wasn't). Anyways, thats beside the point is a couple days after the high e breaks again (in a month). I went to talk to another guy at one of my local guitar stores about many different causes to the problem. It could be the bridge, the nut, or the frets. But, there is nothing wrong with my frets. The only problem I had was that when I first got the guitar whenever I would string bend I could feel/hear the strings scratching the frets (and this was doing string bends on every string as I'm trying to make sure my string bending is good everywhere around the neck). Moving on, I ask the guy some more at my local guitar store if technique could be the problem, because of how important it is to everything. I was told it could be, and it got me wondering how exactly am I bending the string. On the high e, and sometimes B and G string i bend with two fingers. I know your supposed to rotate the wrist and that is something I am used to (or maybe I'm doing it wrong?). I definitely don't push my strings up with my finger as that is impossible to get a tone bend that way. I see that a lot of people use three fingers but that's always been uncomfortable to me in certain parts of the neck, I usually just go with which feels more comfortable. The thing is I'm practicing bending at the lower frets( toward nut) as that is my weakness. I feel it is easier to bend at the higher frets. Anyways, that is always where this huge problem comes from. I'm really obseesed with getinng my bending in perfect shape everywhere around the neck so I constantly sit and practice bending from the 5th fret to the 7th on the high e. I do this everyday for just 5 minutes only, and i dont see how that could even be the cause because all im doing is a tone bend, im not even doing a two-tone bend (i'm not ready for that ). But anyways, this leads me to believe my technique is bad even though I constantly work on it everyday. I make sure im rotating the wrist by using a mirror in front of me ( I know its cheesy but whatever ). Any idea what this could be, I really am not bending it like a maniac, honest. Thanks.

P.S. I know this is super long sorry. I'm just really confused and need some closure, didn't mean to make this like a diary or anything lol.
... I forgot to mention that on my other guitar - LP Special II - I only broke the high e string once. I had that guitar for a year and five months. Strings never sratched the frets or nothing. If i could think that far back , I'd say that my bending felt much easier tbh. I definitely struggled in the beginning but I feel like if I go back to playing it I would have no problems.
Nah, if you're regularly breaking a given string, there's a good chance you've got a burr on your bridge saddle, and very little chance it's got anything to do with technique.

Also, I recommend you find somewhere other than GC for setups, or learn to do them yourself. I don't live in America, but I've yet to see an experienced American member on here who doesn't swear against them.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Nah, if you're regularly breaking a given string, there's a good chance you've got a burr on your bridge saddle, and very little chance it's got anything to do with technique.

Also, I recommend you find somewhere other than GC for setups, or learn to do them yourself. I don't live in America, but I've yet to see an experienced American member on here who doesn't swear against them.

But its only breaking at the fret im doing the bend and not at the bridge
If it's breaking at the fret, there may be a burr or other flaw on the fret that's wearing on the string.

I've noticed even on new or re-fretted guitars that if I keep practicing the same bend over and over at the same fret, the string will break. I think it just heats up. If I go on to another part of the song and then come back and practice a few bends, the string doesn't break.
Quote by LikeWater
But its only breaking at the fret im doing the bend and not at the bridge

can bad tech break strings? yes. we've all seen maulers trying to bend strings to infinity and beyond. when they break the string they complain that the guitar is cheap junk.

what's going on at that fret? you say that there is a scratchy feeling under your fingers. investigate?

it seems mechanical not tech. have your guitar looked at by somebody better then gc.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 9, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
can bad tech break strings? yes. we've all seen maulers trying to bend strings to infinity and beyond. when they break the string they complain that the guitar is cheap junk.

what's going on at that fret? you say that there is a scratchy feeling under your fingers. investigate?

it seems mechanical not tech. have your guitar looked at by somebody better then gc.

you have any advice on how to spot a good guitar tech? should i just go to actual guitar repair/setup stores that are oriented more-so to repairing guitars?
Quote by LikeWater
you have any advice on how to spot a good guitar tech? should i just go to actual guitar repair/setup stores that are oriented more-so to repairing guitars?

not so much advise i'm afraid. i build new and also do my own repairs so i've never used a "tech".

your problem if it really is mechanical, doesn't seem like something too difficult to figure out. somebody competent just needs to have their eyes on it.

very, very, very, basically it's like this:
string breaks at headstock
-burrs at tuner hole.
-end of string bent too sharp and put into tuner hole. or bent and unbent several times before finally getting it right. string breaks soon after tuning up to pitch because string was work hardened at the bend causing it to break.
-weird knot methods used to secure the string on the post.
-problems with the nut. slot width incorrect for the string gage (causing binding and a pinging sound) or sharp edges at the tuner side of the nut.
-slots not clearanced or ramped correctly.
-string side angle too acute causing the string to ride against the sharp edge of the tuner side of the nut.

string breaks at the middle.
-burrs or other sharp dents, dings, etc. on the fret(s) wearing on the string as you bend causing eventual breakage.
-material defect of the string itself. kinda rare and even rarer one string after another.

string breaks at the bridge.
-surprisingly enough usually caused by burrs, sharp edges, improper clearances, etc.. much as you would see at the nut.

or if it isn't mechanical in nature then it could possibly be repeated kamakazi bending over and over again.

anyway, i'm sure i missed something and i don't know everything and i'm at work. I would look for a repair shop though.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 9, 2015,