Hey Guys, Girls and Gurus,

I'm looking for some assistance with my new Wah pedal, which has recently made an appearance in my pedal board.

I'll start off by saying I am a complete novice in terms of Wah pedal knowledge, so please forgive what may seem like obvious questions.

- - - - - -

So, with my new CryBaby Wah I'm facing a real problem of how 'tinny' it makes my guitar tone. I use a fair few effects, but when I establish my base clean tone when sound checking, the wah is adding a real harsh quality to my strumming (high E and B in particular) when not in use.

My current set up is:

Hagstrom Viking Tremar - - - > Boss Tuner > CryBaby > Big Muff > Spark Booster Pedal > EHX Phaser > Boss Tremolo > Fender Reverb > Boss Noise Suppressor - - - Into a Vox AC30 VR.

Going for a fuzzy, garage rock/blues guitar tone.

I use the Vox's clean tone, cranked a little for some drive, as my base.

As I often use the Wah in and out throughout a song, I leave it on all of the time. With the pedal fully down.

I know this affects the tone, as it's on all the time. It just seems more realistic than turning it on and off maybe 3 times a song? Unless I'm being stupid and that's exactly what I should be doing.

The Big Muff kind of wipes away the tone issue when turned on, because it's capable of so much low end.

But my overall clean tone gets so harsh and tinny when played (wah on, not in use)

Any advice out there? Do I need some kind of additional effect to balance it out, an EQ?

I am new to the Wah pedal world so please don't judge what might appear to be rookie tone mistakes.

Any help appreciated!

Jackson Wolf
Leave the wah up if your going to have it on all the time.To be honest you shouldnt have it on at all unless your using it.
You should turn the wah off, it's meant to be turned on and off a lot.
Look at other artists using a wah on youtube, they turn it on when they need it, and off when the part is over. I think you can't make your clean tone sound not harsh even with eq, it's just the way the wah is supposed to sound when on.
Quote by legolas220
You should turn the wah off, it's meant to be turned on and off a lot.
Look at other artists using a wah on youtube, they turn it on when they need it, and off when the part is over. I think you can't make your clean tone sound not harsh even with eq, it's just the way the wah is supposed to sound when on.

Exactly. Only turn it on when your using it. That's what everybody else does. It will solve your tinny tone problem.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Thanks for the advice, guys. Like I say, I am a bit of a Wah novice, so I appreciate the advice.

I'll give it a go and report back!