Having some trouble deciding on which unit to get to replace the EHX Soul Food. Both have a version of a mid boost switch which I like. I'm using it for OD tones to boost a slightly sparky AC30 for worship music. Any tips on which one might have the upper hand?
Are you able to try 'em? I've never heard of Chelle, but the FD2 is a very good OD.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
just bear in mind some people think a ts-type can be too middy with an ac30. with the mids voicing switch that might not be as much of an issue, though. (I haven't tried either.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are you familiar with the Boss SD1? Not saying its based off it but they sound similar, crispy, crunchy gain, the FD2 is far better though, imo. The mosfet setting on the fd2 is killer! I'd bet you'd dig it.

You may wanna check out the Boss Blues Driver too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 9, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
^Oh right, I'm seeing the Odie is a TS. I didn't know that. Is the Fulldrive based off anything?

yeah i looked into them because of this thread- the odie classic seems to be ts-based for sure (even says on their website). not sure if the odie is as well. the fact it has the mid switch might negate a lot of that midhump... but then again if you know you don't want middy (I don't want to put words into your mouth, maybe you do want middy) there are pedals designed from the ground up not to have the mid hump which might be a better idea.

far as I'm aware the fulldrive is based on a tubescreamer or maybe an sd1 (they're pretty similar, and I forget which... there have been several different versions of the fulldrive too which complicates things).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OCD
I like it better than the Fulldrive for Edge OD tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
if you want a TS clone, CMAT MODS signa drive. its based off a TS but has a 3 way voicing switch to do slightly scooped / flat, pretty much a low gain 95% clean boost, or a full out hot rodded TS all in one. very versatile and pretty awesome. i loved mine, i just felt the need to branch out away from a TS clone so i got an xotic. but for a TS clone, i find it really really hard to ever want anything more. and it was 135 bucks new...

i would say the fulltone is probably more tweakable obviously with all those settings, i found it very vintage sounding. awesome, but personally, i found it a bit much for me. if you want the tweaking of course. i personally wanted teh 3 knobs, small footprint, no hasstle. CIGNA to me was like the best of both worlds get more tweaking in a TS layout.

i think if your into country or classic rock the fulldrive is probably one of the best on the market. i dont think it is voiced for modern rock or metal AT ALL. it sounded very vintage to me when i tested it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i looked into them because of this thread- the odie classic seems to be ts-based for sure (even says on their website). not sure if the odie is as well. the fact it has the mid switch might negate a lot of that midhump... but then again if you know you don't want middy (I don't want to put words into your mouth, maybe you do want middy) there are pedals designed from the ground up not to have the mid hump which might be a better idea.

far as I'm aware the fulldrive is based on a tubescreamer or maybe an sd1 (they're pretty similar, and I forget which... there have been several different versions of the fulldrive too which complicates things).
I should have clarified, I do want mids. I actually just remembered Chelle also has out the Ponyboy, a Klone. I'm looking into that one as well. I'll see about the OCD too, I've heard a lot about it and I think I can try that one out.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 9, 2015,
i hate my OCD. its hard to find a good usage for it in my rigs.

the fulldrive 2 is nice, but i wish you could use the boost function independently of the overdrive. i think they may have done that for the fulldrive 3, but i am not sure. worth looking into though.

i just swear by zendrives now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
also, i love the MI audio blues pro, absolutely ****ing awesome. look into the newer model, i haven't played one yet, but its got flexibility.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lucky1978
Are you familiar with the Boss SD1? Not saying its based off it but they sound similar, crispy, crunchy gain, the FD2 is far better though, imo. The mosfet setting on the fd2 is killer! I'd bet you'd dig it.

You may wanna check out the Boss Blues Driver too.

Yeah this.
I've got an AC30 and an FD2 with the mosfet and vintage switch.
I've also got 2 TS pedals (TS 808 and TS 9DX) but the FD2 is my preferred OD pedal by a long shot
Quote by Will Lane
I should have clarified, I do want mids. I actually just remembered Chelle also has out the Ponyboy, a Klone. I'm looking into that one as well. I'll see about the OCD too, I've heard a lot about it and I think I can try that one out.

yeah

if codemonk has tried the fulldrive with his ac30 he's worth listening to
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just checked out that odie. holy cow what a steal.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Full-Drive 3 is neat. I have one, but I prefer using my OCD for gain. The independent boost is a very nice feature.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah

if codemonk has tried the fulldrive with his ac30 he's worth listening to

Its TS based but probably due to all the options, less middy.
Although with the proper settings, you can still get those mids pushing.
Which is why I prefer it to my TS pedals.
I usually use one of my TS pedals to push the other one or use one of them to push my Box Of Rock.

For the record (or maybe due to my "non-golden ears", the FD2 MOSFET with gain cranked NAILS Alex Lifeson's Working Man tone with my AC30.
Actually, I can get pretty damn close to most of his tones up to 2112 (although a lot of that requires the finger gymnastics of an Olympic athlete).
The Alnico Gold and G12K-85 in my 2x12 probably help that too.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 11, 2015,
^ yeah those ones with more options normally have a setting with fewer mids. not really worth it to me personally because I generally run a ts (or sd1) type alongside a less middy OD anyway, so if I want fewer mids I can just run the other pedal. But I guess having options is handy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?