Hi , i am learning guitar from 3 months . So far i have learned all the basic chords + dominant 7th chord . I am currently just focusing on improving my strumming and rhythm pattern . So , for a change i am also learning Sweet Child o mine Intro riff from 3 days .

Firstly i am doing no alternate picking as it is very hard for me now . Also my finger is not very fast and i often hit wrong string (right hand) when not looking at my hand . My current aim is learn intro riff just like in the original track . What techniques should i practice to improve my riff and finger movement .

Thanks
You have to remeber that contrary to it's guitar center reputation Sweet Child o Mine is not that easy of a riff. Since you're an absolute beginner it might take a while to get it. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't get unmotivated by struggling with it for a while. It is not an easy riff for a beginner.

For that riff I absolutely recommend that you learn alternate picking and use your pinky finger. Play it slowly and take breaks if you get frustrated. Break it down and practice small bits at a time. Theres no specific technique involved in that riff. Just practice, and expect it to take a little while.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
You have to remeber that contrary to it's guitar center reputation Sweet Child o Mine is not that easy of a riff. Since you're an absolute beginner it might take a while to get it. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't get unmotivated by struggling with it for a while. It is not an easy riff for a beginner.

For that riff I absolutely recommend that you learn alternate picking and use your pinky finger. Play it slowly and take breaks if you get frustrated. Break it down and practice small bits at a time. Theres no specific technique involved in that riff. Just practice, and expect it to take a little while.

thanks . The video from which i learned used 3 finger , so i learned it like that . Should i add the pinky finger and start over again ? I am not getting frustrated at all , instead i am having a great fun learning and practicing it over and over .
Quote by ahasan78
I am not getting frustrated at all , instead i am having a great fun learning and practicing it over and over .

That's great. Keep at it and you'll get it down perfect eventually.

Quote by ahasan78
thanks . The video from which i learned used 3 finger , so i learned it like that . Should i add the pinky finger and start over again?.

If you're already making good progress without the pinky and alt picking and feel like adding them will put you back a few steps you don't really have to. I just think that that riff is great for practicing both of these concepts, and they're very important. Using alternate picking is something you will eventually learn anyway if you want to get somewhere so why not start now.

And pinky, while it might not feel like it, is very important. If anyone tells you that you don't really need it you can just disregard their opinion. Can you play guitar well without the pinky? Absolutely. Will you become a much, much better guitarist if you do practice with it? Without a doubt.

So, you can play it with downpicks and with only three fingers, and it's completely okay. However, I feel like that riff is a good starting point with finer techniques like this, so at least keep it in mind. Even better if you actually learn to play it with both, there's no harm in versatility.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Took me many months to be at the level where I could play the Sweet Child riff without winging it and holding onto notes that shouldn't be sustained.

What you're asking is a very general question, so unfortunately it has to be answered with a very general answer: practice. At this point you should just remember not to ingrain any bad habits (which is why getting a teacher at first is always a good idea). If the riff is simply out of reach, come back to it in a month or two and learn something that is more within your reach and that you enjoy. Nothing kills my mood to play than when I have to be learning something that is simply way out of my reach.