What's your take on the effects loop path of your amplifier. My old amp doesn't have one so I plug my guitar into my BOSS GT-6 and then it into the input of the amp.

Just got a new amp and it has an effects loop inputs/outputs. When I run the effects through the loop they sound very different than when I plug them in the "old" way.

Is one way considered "better" than the other? What benefit do you get from using the effects loop?
Depends on the effect. Usually modulations (chorus, phaser, flanger, the likes), reverb, delay are put through the loop, and anything else (wah/filter, pitch shift, distortions of all types) in front of the amp.

The stuff I mentioned that goes through the loop come in cleaner and come through clearer.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The stuff you put in the effects loop is only messed with by the power amp section of the amplifier. Preamp wizardry is great for distortion and compressors and whatnot, but delays and reverbs can sound muddy in the preamp. So, the power amp section just amplifies the signal and not much tone shaping is done, aside from the speaker.
stuff like delsys and reverbs will sound clearer through the loop....at the expensive of more cables and mess...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Well, consider it like this.
If you're running the amplifier on a clean setting, it doesn't really matter all that much. The idea with putting effects in the effects loop is that the signal from your guitar gets affected by the pre-amp before it gets affected by the pedals and not the other way around. So it really only matters if your pre-amp is determining your sound, which is distorting it most of the time in that case.

Example with distortion coming from the pre-amp: a delay pedal in front will repeat the signal coming from your guitar and the pre-amp will distort all of that signal. That can result in mushy sounds. When the pedal is in the loop, the signal from the guitar will be distorted and then it will hit the effects in the loop, which in this case would be the delay pedal. The delay pedal will repeat the already distorted signal, which will result in a much clearer sounding signal.

You can also apply this with a volume pedal to make it a little more practical in example.
A volume pedal in front through a distorted amplifier will make it so that if you lower the volume pedal, the sound will clean up, because the signal being sent to the amp is weaker. If you put the volume pedal in the loop, it will get the distorted signal fed to it and lowering the volume pedal will simply result in a lower volume distorted sound and will not make it less distorted.

As said by others, typically, you'd put modulation, reverb and delay in the loop; but don't think of it as rules. Modulation in front has been done for years and years and can yield great results. Think of Van Halen putting his flanger and/or phaser in front.
I've determined that for the way I do things (mostly on the clean channel) I'll run everything in front of the amp. Just sounds better to me.
Most people will tell you you have to use the effects loop but when I used to run my RP1000 through it I would find I wouldn`t have enough mids to cut through the mix, even with the mids on the pedal set up full.

Darn annoying if you ask me, the way round this was to plug into the front of the amp and boost the mids there.

The tone was slightly different but let`s put it this way, the rest of band had no idea, and I was a lot more punchy sounding and could hear myself clearly in the mix. Sometimes going against conventional wisdom is needed especially if it gives you better results.
Get a free copy of my eBook at Guitar Domination

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
i run everything in front of the amp but i don't really have a choice in the matter anyway. like if your not running modulations like chorus and flange after the bulk of your dirt your fine.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Try it both ways and use the one that sounds best to your ears. I don't use much delay or modulation and when I do it's covering Jimi so everything goes in front for me. To cover The Edge or Metalica and effects loop becomes very useful for delay. At last count Edge had 8 Digital delay units in his stage rig.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Try it both ways and use the one that sounds best to your ears. I don't use much delay or modulation and when I do it's covering Jimi so everything goes in front for me. To cover The Edge or Metalica and effects loop becomes very useful for delay. At last count Edge had 8 Digital delay units in his stage rig.

I hear he comes to the show 2 hours early and starts playing for the show
I would not place it in the effects loop, assuming you are using it as a distortion. If you are only using it for reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser or tremolo its fine to place it in the effects loop.
Amp sim and modulation effects -> Effects loop, no questions ask.

Everything else goes into the front.