whats the opinion on the triaxis? how does it compare with the modulations of the axe fx or the actual amps that it has the preamp circuits from?
if it recreates the sounds of the couple of mark series amps it's supposed to, and a rectifier if i'm not mistaken, wouldn't combining it with some mesa power amp and mesa cab will give a variety of quality amps in one package?

right now i'm just fantasizing, and planning what i'll get in the future if i sell my blackstar ht-5 combo.
will it be possible to make a combination of a rig that has the triaxis and a good mesa power amp, that will be usable at home?
The Triaxis is a preamp only and has no FX (that I can remember) but it does have some great cleans and Mark series gain structures. No Recto sounds in it, your thinking of the Mesa Ractifier pre (but that has no Mark tones). Yes it would be a versatile great sounding set-up, but there is no need to get a Mesa power amp (unless you really want one) when any good tube power amp will be just fine.

The AxeFX is cool as hell, my buddy has one he gigs with exclusively now. It does a lot of sounds and FX very well, but it is not for me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i know the triaxis is a preamp. i thought the lead 2 red was some kind of a rectifier.
regarding the mesa power amp, the reason i said it is because i read that when dealing with mesa boogie, a very important part of the mesa sound is the power section
Quote by gania13
yeah i know the triaxis is a preamp. i thought the lead 2 red was some kind of a rectifier.
regarding the mesa power amp, the reason i said it is because i read that when dealing with mesa boogie, a very important part of the mesa sound is the power section

No that is the MarkIIC+ channel

The power section can make a little difference, but with those preamps that is where the sound comes from. If you have a decent tube power amp you will be just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Triaxis and an older Axe-FX (the Ultra). I've also got a Carvin Quad-X and a few other assorted preamps. While you're in the fantasy stage, you might also look at the Egnater M4 preamp, which uses interchangeable character modules.

The Triaxis and the Quad-X are true tube preamps (the Quad has *nine* 12AX7 tubes, the Triaxis five) and are designed to be pretty much agnostic about their power amps. I used a stereo tube power amp (50W/50W) originally with them both and moved to a 1500W solid state unit (lighter, cheaper, more power, less delicate) and never looked back. Mesa branded power amps and speaker cabinets not required. This especially true when used in the home, since you're not going to be driving any of this to the point where the power amp or speaker cabinet will be distinctive.

The Axe, of course, has no tubes, but most users agree that it just doesn't matter. Same with the Kemper.

If you're going to be working with any of these in the home (or for recording or even for live gigging), you might take a look at the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. It provides IR-based cabinet simulations (in addition to those built in, you can download others and make your own) that are at least as good as those on the Kemper. In addition, it provides tube power amp simulations (KT88, EL34, EL84, 6L6, etc.) so that you can drive a tube power amp without baking an expensive set of tubes or carting around heavy transformers.
Take a look at Randall RM100's (or an RM1250 if you can find one). Swappable preamp modules.
Look at these:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

The modules have two tubes each plus some on the chassis.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Triaxis are what Hetfield uses live, blended 50/50 with his diezel for dirt
They're good preamps, and the MKIIC+ channel sounds great.
They're great if they're the kind of tone you're looking for.
Would totally recommend if you're thinking about grabbing one.

The AxeFx is a great preamp as well.
Super versatile and sounds great.
If you need super versatility, it may be what you need.
But if you don't, I don't see spending the money just to have one since they're a bit pricey.

As Cath said, the Randall RM series sounds amazing, and is super versatile for much cheaper.
Especially with the modules.
They're cheaper than a new amp and sound killer.
you had me at hetfield :-)
the randall sounds an interesting choice too, i'll check it out
The Triaxis is fantastic. I'd used it paired with the Mesa power amps when I roadied as guitar tech for a semi famous logical guy. He used the 2:90 power amps through Mesa cabs and it was one of the best live setups we used. He had chorus and delay but go everything else through the Triaxis. It is true analog path through and through.
i think 2:90 is a bit too much for a home right?
i was thinking of 20/20 maybe, will it do the trick?
Quote by gania13
i think 2:90 is a bit too much for a home right?
i was thinking of 20/20 maybe, will it do the trick?

the 2:20 can get very loud
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate