I'm a self taught rhythm guitarist that mainly plays metalcore stuff... i wanna improve my solo play tho. Any suggestions for good youtube lessons on soloing?
Youtube lessons are questionable at best.
I would either screw around with scales forever and see where you go or get teachers who will make you screw with scales foever
Quote by nobbers
Youtube lessons are questionable at best.
I would either screw around with scales forever and see where you go or get teachers who will make you screw with scales foever

Ignore everything this guy just said
My approach to soloing is a mixture between learning scale shapes and ear training. You'll never be able to improvise any kind of shred playing without being able to visualize all of your "available" notes, and you'll never be able to improvise anything musically pleasing without training your ear so that you can transfer the music in your brain to the fretboard.
Stevie T has some lessons about soloing. Check his channel on youtube. They're not boring and very helpful.
Andrew Wasson from Creative Guitar Studio does a great job teaching soloing and everything else with guitar
I have found different channels for different solos. Sometimes a mix of one or two to learn a solo. Depending on the person and how articulate it's described.

Overall, Carl at "guitarlessons365" is pretty awesome.
If you want to learn how to solo over metal, start with learning early Sabbath solos BY EAR ( I recommend those because they are slow and easy). Then move to the faster stuff. A soloist who doesn't have a good foundation is a bad soloist. You don't have a good foundation if you haven't learnt any solos by ear.

If your goal is simply to play covers than ignore my advice, but if your goal is to be an actual musician who creates music - then roll up your sleeves, turn off your screens and get to work!