Before I describe what it is I need advice on, I know a lot of people ddon't like pop punk and probably won't like the amps I have on my wish list. Well, I do, and its fine you don't like them. I'm chasing peoples opinions on their experience with these amps.
I have done a tonne of research and narrowed it down to 4 heads.
What I want in an amp is:

Clean/gain
FX loop
Versatility
Reliability
Easily modded if I desire.

I narrowed my wish list down to the follow

Blackstar S104EL34
Mesa Dual Rec (not as keen on this one because I feel like its TOO popular, I know there's a reason for it but I like to explore other avenues)
EVH 5150iii (similar to the rec)
Orange Rockverb

I live in Australia , Melbourne are and there aren't many dealers around of these amps so its hard to do a shootout.
I play an LTD H500 with JB/59
Jim Root squier stock standard (both in Drop C)
Ernie ball volume, polytune, Mason OD9, ISP Decimator, Phase 90, dimebag crybaby, DL4
Currently using a beat Randall with matching 412.
I'll also be purchasing an Orange PPC212 closed back

What experience do people have with those heads in both studio and live environments? Do they respond to effects well? Easily modified? Could they benefit from mods?

I'm also aware there are heaps of other suitable amps but to save confusion I've only listed the ones that stood out to me the most.
Not a fan of Blackstar, but the rest are great amps. You should also look at a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50 or 100

How the hell are you playing pop punk in drop C, that just don't make any sense
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know Blackstar is unpopular with many guitairsts (i put that down to a lot of people expecting miracles from their cheaper HT series) but I do love the tone of the series one, mainly for the EL34's probably, and my favorite guitarist uses one (Ryan Phillips , Story of the Year/Greek Fire). Marshall did pop up a few times in my searches. More specifically the JCM 2000 and the JVM 410H. That was kind of a wildcard in my opinion because I know a lot of Marshall's don't have that classic Marshall quality and can also tend to be really bright.

I know drop C seems strange but our other guitarist plays a different tuning with a VOX AC30..VT? I can't remember the exact model. We also have a female singer. so its not as heavy as youd expect. Its also not classic 80's/90's pop punk stlye (obviously). We sort of try to modernize it slightly.
Last edited by elusivegt at Jul 11, 2015,
Quote by elusivegt
I know Blackstar is unpopular with many guitairsts (i put that down to a lot of people expecting miracles from their cheaper HT series)

no, to be fair it's mainly down to their (in my opinion) pretty misleading advertising where they very strongly imply they're all-tube, when they're not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about a Randall RM100? It checks all your boxes and amps don't get any more versatile than the RM. Cathbard has two, so obviously they're available down there.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
All of those amps will do just fine for the pop punk persuasion. just go with what you like. All of them are used by tons of bands in that genre as well.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I am in love with my Rockerverb. I would tend to think that orange would be cheaper in Australia than mesa, but I could be wrong. I have mesa tremoverb as well, equally great amp, but I think that an orange Rockerverb would be more punkish from my experience with them. I am running both through mesa cabs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Everyone has their opinions on blackstar, they either love them or hate them. Its fair enough considering the amps they compete with and their price.
Randall is available down here, but as with the others, its a matter of finding a dealer.
I love the Orange but heard they burn through tubes really quickly?
Belfield still have some NOS RM100's

http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=randall+RM100

Lately I've been using my RM20. They still have some of those cheap too:
http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=randall+RM20
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by elusivegt
Everyone has their opinions on blackstar, they either love them or hate them. Its fair enough considering the amps they compete with and their price.
Randall is available down here, but as with the others, its a matter of finding a dealer.
I love the Orange but heard they burn through tubes really quickly?

i have never heard of such with orange. maybe i have missed something. but i don't think i did. really love my rockerverb.

as far as blackstar, i am one standing on principle and not liking deceitful advertising. BUT i really honestly wasn't impressed with the HT series. and i think you can do better for your money, they are pretty expensive for what they are. again speaking for the HT line. i don't think i have played a series one .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do belfield offer delivery? I'm in Victoria.

I imagine a tube or pre amp/power amp upgrade would fix that problem anyway if it was true. But if you play that orange rockverb with no hassles then I'm wondering how others are treating their amps.

The HT I've heard mixed reports. My mate plays the HT100 coupled with a mini terror and it sounds awesome. I have seen so many forums and reviews of people for and against the blackstar.

That Randall RM100 looks really interesting though. Thank you for all your suggestions.
Delivery was free. I'm in Victoria too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100