Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
A socially liberal society
24 75%
An economically liberal society
8 25%
Voters: 32.
A socially liberal society (personal freedoms etc.), or an economically liberal society? You can only pick one.

Discuss.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
doesn't matter, people are going to flourish and people are going to die horribly either way.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Important for what end? Short sighted hedonism or future stability? The 2 are almost always mutually exclusive
I actually don't get the question now that I think about it. Isn't it inherently loaded to pit social freedoms against free market capitalism? Cuz like, that's one view. Because the two aren't mutually exclusive if you believe in a free market (which I don't, but still).
I'd rather have social liberalism as economic liberalism/individualism in general is ridiculous. One may limit and balance them, but freedom to oppress and exploit, and monopolise on that, needs to be crushed. Basic human rights and the safe freedom to love who you love, think what you think etc should be held as sacred, and right now they are not.

EDIT: yeah not sure what I was thinking with 'both', dont mind me.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 11, 2015,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I actually don't get the question now that I think about it. Isn't it inherently loaded to pit social freedoms against free market capitalism? Cuz like, that's one view. Because the two aren't mutually exclusive if you believe in a free market (which I don't, but still).

This, a lot of people think that you can achieve both through one of the answers.

And can I get a more specific definition of 'social liberty' please. Social liberty would be good enough to name what I think is most important but I doubt I'd agree on what it means with most of the people who might choose the answer.
communism
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by JamSessionFreak
And can I get a more specific definition of 'social liberty' please. Social liberty would be good enough to name what I think is most important but I doubt I'd agree on what it means with most of the people who might choose the answer.
social liberalism usually refers to social justice, does it not? It's about granting freedom and equal rights without it being imposed by a dictator or oppressive regime.

Quote by Bladez22
communism
also this
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by EndTheRapture51
A socially liberal society (personal freedoms etc.)

We can't be trusted with too much freedom, we'll all kill each other
Quote by EndTheRapture51
An economically liberal society?

We can't be trusted with a liberal economy because we won't do whats best for humanity's existence.

So neither. Let's die.
Quote by Rebel Scum
We can't be trusted with too much freedom, we'll all kill each other

We can't be trusted with a liberal economy because we won't do whats best for humanity's existence.

So neither. Let's die.

Yea, let's get out money's worth out of them nukes.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Why can't we have one, but not the other?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 11, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why can't we have one, but not the other?

Because otherwise there is no discussion to be had

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33495736
Because otherwise there is no discussion to be had

Shouldn't have asked a question that poses a false dichotomy then.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by StewieSwan
blessed are the poor

Bleesed are the cheesemakers.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Can't have social liberty without economic liberty.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Can't have social liberty without economic liberty.

yeah.

but that can be interpreted in so many ways lol.
moderate doses of both
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Banjocal
social liberalism usually refers to social justice, does it not? It's about granting freedom and equal rights without it being imposed by a dictator or oppressive regime.

also this

iunno does it?

i get confused by it sometimes
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Important for what end? Short sighted hedonism or future stability? The 2 are almost always mutually exclusive
I'm gonna enjoy myself some shortsighted hedonism this evening baby
Quote by JamSessionFreak
iunno does it?

i get confused by it sometimes
was semi rhetorical, but short answer: yes. long answer: yes if we go by the traditional definition, but it is sometimes mis-used in a similar way to mean economic liberalism, as well as social freedom to push against social norms without incarceration (often confused with criticism or vilification) and negative liberty.

Both terms are related to but not the same as positive and negative liberty, positive being freedom to pursue one's goals without interference from social prejudices and internal constraints, whereas negative liberty is freedom from interference, something related to economic liberalism in that you have the freedom to exploit in the name of your own goals, etc. Positive liberty is the friend of liberalism, whereas negative liberty is the friend of the libertarian.
Quote by EndTheRapture51