I recently got a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and was looking to purchase a tube screamer pedal. I was looking at the Ibanez TS-9 and the Maxon OD808. Any suggestions?
Never done an A/B myself but they are basically the same thing.

Personally I have a TS9DX which is again basically the same.

There are comparison videos on Youtube which you may want to check out, but it will probably be down to personal preference.
look into a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive. does the tubescreamer thing, has a better eq setup and has a higher gain option as well.
Lots of Tubescreamer-esque pedals out there. Personally I own an MXR GT-OD, which was about priced halfway between the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive and the Ibanez TS9. In retrospect, I wish I had chosen the SD-1. Like the tone better and Boss have better built pedals than MXR's damn corner cutting (strong chassi, but mechanical switch and plastic inputs mounted directly on the PCB!).
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I have a TS-9 for mine and it sounds great. However, I also have an MXR M77 which is based on the Boss SD-1, and I like its sound even better than the TS-9. This is through a 6505+ 112 as well, fyi.

Basically, there are two major designs to consider when choosing an OD pedal -- symmetrical clipping (Tubescreamers), and asymmetrical clipping (Boss SD-1). They both cut some bass but tighten up your sound and make your gain more punchy and focused when used as a boost. But symmetrical clipping is a little smoother and rounder (maybe a little more transparent?) while symmetrical clipping is a little "grindier" and edgy sounding. It can add a little texture/harmonic overtones to your leads as well. I prefer this over the smoother tubescreamer sound. But there is not a huge difference between them when using them as a boost, it's subtle. Anyway, my tonal preference is more toward death and black metal, and the MXR pedal just sounds better for that. If I played metalcore or any -core, for that matter, I might like the tubescreamer better.

Also, I would not pay full price for an actual Ibanez or Maxon tubescreamer. They are overpriced considering there are a zillion clones that sound just as good. I got mine for around $70 used.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Like all pedals it depends on the type of music you play and the type of sound you are looking for. I have a collection of almost all modals of original Ibanez Tube Sceamers (except an original 808) and the differences between them are subtle. Personally I prefer the TS 10. On the other hand I also have a Bad Monkey and it is very close to sounding like a TS 9 and costs about 1/3 of what the currently available TS 9 reissue costs.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 11, 2015,
Yea, just get whatever tubescreamer you want / can afford. They are all within the same sonic ballpark. There are people who make a huge deal out of their subtle differences (not that that is a bad thing; if thats your bag then god bless you), but for the rest of us, buy what you can afford and what you will be happy with in the long run. I own a bad monkey and a gfs greenie classic, and either of them do exactly what I need them to do. Cheers
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Try the Ibanez Tube screamer mini. It's quite cheap, less than half the price of a full sized ts808.
Quote by monwobobbo
look into a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive. does the tubescreamer thing, has a better eq setup and has a higher gain option as well.

+1, I'm not a huge fan of Tubescreamers and all the like but I dig the CM2, great pedal. It sells used for maybe $20 more than a Bad Monkey, imo its well woth it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i would look for a premium TS. something like a CMATTmods signa drive, way huge green rhino, etc. they don't cost much more (possibly less) and give you more options.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tony Done
My solution for the TS choice is a Bad Monkey for smooth and an SD-1 for rough. The two are very complimentary, IMO.

+1 on the bad monkey I use mine for a couple of songs that I'm using where the "green overdrive is located on my amp.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I would recommend take your amp and guitar to the store and try them out. I have a TS-9 and a MXR overdrive. Using the same amp, I find that the TS-9 sounds better than the MXR with my strat humbucker while the MXR sounds better when using my ESP LTD with passive EMGs. At the store I compared the GT-OD to the ZW-11 and I prefered the ZW-11 OD. I never tried the SD-1 with my setup.
Quote by Watterboy
Yea, just get whatever tubescreamer you want / can afford. They are all within the same sonic ballpark. There are people who make a huge deal out of their subtle differences (not that that is a bad thing; if thats your bag then god bless you), but for the rest of us, buy what you can afford and what you will be happy with in the long run. I own a bad monkey and a gfs greenie classic, and either of them do exactly what I need them to do. Cheers

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Bad Monkey is a bit of a tone sucker though. Not so bad that you can't compensate for it with amp EQ but it does do it a bit.
The TS9 and the 808 are exactly the same circuit apart from two resistors that don't operate inside the audible range.
I just bought a Green Rhino, I'll report back about it once it arrives.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like my Green rhino; wide range of gain boost from the level alone, multiple tonal options. It doesn't really have the mid hump TS9/808's have either. On my old amp (VK212), I found it to be quieter than a Hardwire CM-2 despite having a similar gain structure, not as mid honkish (best term I can think of) either.

Since TS models tend to have same core sound, I like one that gives me options so it can be adapted into various rig set ups. I'm also working with a Duncan 805 (TS with a true 3 band EQ) for the same reason, though it doesn't' seem to have the same amount of gain.

These are just comparisons, though; given it's a 6505, I don't think a whole lot of gain is necessary. Either of the 3 I mentioned should do, but no need to limit to 'em. I found the Bad monkey to be a bit too tame, though.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 12, 2015,
How well does it run as a cleanish boost? Compared to a normal TS808 circuit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How well does it run as a cleanish boost? Compared to a normal TS808 circuit?

Surprisingly enough, I've never used the actual TS808 If you've happened to use a bad monkey (a pedal I have used) along with the TS808 and the boost it gives from the level knob is similar to a bad monkey, then the Green Rhino has more on tap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBC8hNv6Cc I found this, but it's against a ts-9.

Pardon my thread sidetracking, OP.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 12, 2015,
Yeah, I've got a Bad Monkey and an 808 I built myself. I use either my Timmy or Soul Food nowadays. The Rhino fell into my lap cheap enough that I can flip it if I don't use it. So I thought, "why the hell not?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I find that the GR gives a noticeable boost even with the level around noon and even when the amp is already at something like a NWOBHM level of gain, though I've mostly used it alone. I think it's a better option than a bad monkey. Better buffer, wider gain range (if that's a factor for either you or the thread starter), and the curve knob controls how smooth/harsh it gets to make it even more versatile.
I'm basically boosting the front end of a SLO crunch channel for solos. So far the Timmy is my favourite.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can't speak to the Maxon pedal, but I run a TS9 in front of my Peavey 60W 6505+. This is what it sounds like in a mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5JNqcovVE

Bear in mind that I disconnected the built in speaker and am instead running this through a Mesa 2x12, but the tone is pretty similar. If this is kind of what you're looking for, you'll get it using the 6505+ 112 and a TS9. I would also look into upgrading the speaker to a Celestion V30 though.

And congrats on the new amp!
Run a TS9 into a OCD - if I set the drive on the OCD to 2/3 with mid drive out of the TS, its heaven through the Fender HRD
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Quote by Cathbard
(a) The Bad Monkey is a bit of a tone sucker though.

Yeah. The buffer's not amazing when it's off, and when on it has a slight blanket-over-the-speaker thing going on.

Hard to go wrong for £20 new, but if you can spend a little more you can get better.

Nice score on the green rhino, interested to hear what it's like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Leather Sleeves
The Joyo JF-01 (Vintage Overdrive) is basically a clone of the TS 808. I heard that it sounds nearly identical and it's probably half the price.

It's not even close to half the price! (I paid £19)

The difference is very subtle and some people actually prefer the Joyo to the Ibanez.
Quote by Cathbard

I just bought a Green Rhino, I'll report back about it once it arrives.

Can you do a side-by-side comparison with a Bad Monkey? I'm particularly interested in the "smoothness" of the BM, and thought that my Boss BD-2 sounded pretty rough by comparison, as an example.
Yeah, I guess so.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. The buffer's not amazing when it's off, and when on it has a slight blanket-over-the-speaker thing going on.

Hard to go wrong for £20 new, but if you can spend a little more you can get better.

Nice score on the green rhino, interested to hear what it's like.

I had a bad monkey for a little while, and it wasn't great. Dave is spot on about the crappy buffer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I stopped using my Bad Monkey because of the tone sucking buffer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ts7
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Danustar gets a +1 on the TS7 recommendation. I own three of them. One I use often and two I just bought during the past month. I believe that they are the next Ibanez pedal to go for over $100.00 on EBay. They do the TS9 thing very well and have those really neat "Tone Lock" controls that you can recess back into the pedal so they don't get moved by accident. Of the two I just got, one was in very good condition and I paid $32.00 + $5.00 shipping and the other I paid $47.00 for but it was still sealed and in the original box. I'll hold on to them for a few years and I'm betting that within 3-4 years they will be selling for about $125.00 each. I watched the same thing happen to TS10 pedals that 5 years ago you could snag for under $50.00 and are now averaging $125-150.00. They are good Tube Screamer pedals.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 14, 2015,
My Green Rhino just arrived. First impression - very nice. Sounds less wooly than a Bad Monkey - and no real tone suckage. Sounds like a TS808 with far more EQ options. At this point, I highly recommend it.

Edit:
Just tried it with the band. It ****ing hammers. Much, much better than the Bad Monkey. Chalk and cheese.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 15, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I had a bad monkey for a little while, and it wasn't great. Dave is spot on about the crappy buffer.

that's why a Hardwire CM-2 is way, better true bypass but still has the good points of the BM and then some
Quote by Cathbard
My Green Rhino just arrived. First impression - very nice. Sounds less wooly than a Bad Monkey - and no real tone suckage. Sounds like a TS808 with far more EQ options. At this point, I highly recommend it.

Edit:
Just tried it with the band. It ****ing hammers. Much, much better than the Bad Monkey. Chalk and cheese.

Thanks. I can see how the BM could be called woolly.

FWIW, I tried the BM through a bypass loop yesterday. It couldn't hear any tone loss when it was switched off, as compared with being bypassed - into a very bright amp. There was, however, a switched-off T-Rex Reverb after it. It definitely took the edge off the tone when engaged though, a bit like a cover on a humbucker.
It sounds to me like the Bad Monkey is missing top end - and winding up the presence on the amp does seem to counteract it a lot. With the Rhino, I didn't have to do that. The BM is certainly a viable option but the Green Rhino is a far better one.
I'll use it at tomorrow's gig. Full volume is where you can really tell. I'll let you know.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Nice I figured the green rhino would be pretty nice, it has a pretty good rep.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use a TS9 with my 6505+ but mine is from the early 80's when Maxon was building them for Ibanez, so for new one I'd go with the Maxon.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge