I'm having some problems with my guitar. I've got a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan '59 Trembucker in the bridge (Rivers Cuomo blue Strat combination because I'm just unoriginal ). The Super 2 is supposed to be a very high output pickup, and I have it set up very close to the strings. The '59 is supposed to be vintage output, and I have it set away from the strings.

Now, I am pretty new to switching out pickups and such, but I'm pretty sure that with this set up, the Super 2 should be incredibly loud compared to the '59, but for some reason mine is actually quieter. Not by a lot, but by enough to be noticeable.

They both go directly to the same 3 way blade switch, and there doesn't seem to be any connection issues AT the switch, so my only guess is that something might be wrong with the pickup..

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks.
Last edited by shoryu at Jul 11, 2015,
I'm thinking that the Super 2 isn't a very hot pickup at all (about 8.7K)
By comparison, I have a diMarzio Fast Track 2 (18K) in the neck position, and it's definitely louder than my 9.2K Gibson 57 bridge pickup

Neither is the '59 (8K+) high output.

But the Super2 should still be louder just by virtue of its position as a neck pickup.

You should check the output of your super 2 and make sure that you have the right wire selected for the switch.
Just throwing this out there, but in my experience Duncan and Dimarzio use different wiring colour schemes. The wiring could be mismatched somewhere causing the issue. I would go back over the wiring and reference some schematics that take into account the different wiring colours.

A quick google search should yield some helpful results. And if that is the issue, and it gets confusing its probably something a tech could rectify pretty easily.
Ahh, thanks Tony Done, the tap test showed me what an idiot I actually am.
It turns out I had accidentally wired my 3 way blade switch the wrong way, where my bridge pickup was 1st position and my neck pickup was 3rd position. The wiring is otherwise fine and nothing is wrong with either of my pickups.

Welp, it's at least good to know my first attempt at wiring in new pickups was otherwise a success.

Thanks to all who answered.
Oh, I've wired switches and pots backwards enough times myself, not to worry.

The tap test is handy for all kinds of things, like testing tone and volume controls if the guitar isn't strung up.

Its relative, the flick test, can be used for checking phase if you have a multimeter.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 12, 2015,
Recommended threads
Maxon ROD880
smashingchicago
Last post:
by smashingchicago