Hi all,

So recently, I've been having difficulty trying to adjust the volume of my guitar sound as well as the backing track for recording my guitar covers on YouTube. The problem I've been facing is that I'm currently living in an apartment, and a few weeks ago, I've received a sound complaint from my neighbors for using too much volume on my gear.
Normally I tend to record guitar covers live as this minimizes the latency between video and audio, and there's less things that can go wrong with processing the video and audio themselves as compared to trying to edit them on the computer. But due to the fact that I've had to deal with the neighbor-related issues before, I'm trying to figure out ways on recording the guitar covers studio-style without having to spend too much money on expensive recording gear.
Here's the gear I currently have:
Ibanez S521 Mol (modified with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups as well as Grover locking tuners)
Zoom G5
Randall RM50 Tube Amplifier
Fender Mustang I (used as an amplifier for the backing tracks I play from the phone.)
Sennheiser E845S (I've had this mic for over a decade and it still functions well!)

Some people have already suggested that I use the USB Direct Out on my Zoom G5 to record the guitar audio on Audacity. The problem with that is that the guitar audio sent via the USB port on the Zoom G5 tends to be slightly inorganic and brittle with less gain as compared to the amp sound, and it also tends to have latency issues when recording directly into the computer.
So the challenge here for me is to set up a recording gear that:
-can record heavy electric guitar sound with minimal latency and gain issues
-is mobile with easy setup that can feed the guitar sound into the computer
-requires little to no time for me to set up the recording gear before I am ready to record the video and audio
-costs no more than CAD $300 (including tax) and can be found in Long & McQuade

So, what would you guys suggest? What recording gear would you suggest that I use for the guitar audio? Also, I'd like to know of good software that can actually mix the video and audio files together. (Hint: I'm using Windows 8.1 laptop.)

Thanks very much for your help! I'm looking forward to your responses.

Regards,
parhelia_0000
Regards,
parhelia_0000
On a budget, the Line 6 Toneport series is actually good. That's what i use for my channel, a UX2.

For simple youtube stuff you don't need a hugely expensive setup.
mojostompboxes.com
Hmm...on Long & McQuade reviews, I've read through several negative reviews about the UX2. People said that there are so many things that can go wrong with the UX2.

I've noticed that its slightly expensive counterpart, the KB37, received a more positive rating as compared to the UX2. Any personal opinions on the KB37? I know it's beyond my set budget but given that I get the required recording/interface software as well as required accessories with the KB37, I may be able to negotiate a slightly higher price. I'm just trying to note that I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars into getting a professional quality gear.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
You need video too though, huh? The Zoom Q2HD is cheap and will do both audio and video quite well. You just record it to an SD card and transfer it off that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Looked up the Zoom Q2HD on the Long & McQuade website. No results, so it's most likely that they aren't selling that product. Any alternatives you can suggest?
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Oh, and by the way, I already have a camera for the video. I'm using a Samsung DV100.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
i use the UX2 with a SM57 and have had both for 8 years with no issue.
mojostompboxes.com
Okay, and what software would be recommended for mixing both video and audio together?
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Just out of curiosity, is there any freeware counterparts that can be found online that functions similar to how Sony Vegas Pro works? I know Audacity can be used to record audio, but I want to be able to mix video and audio together without having any latency issues.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
I don't think so. You don't have to buy the full Vegas, look down at Vegas famky comparison, there's on for $50.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

Movie studio will do.

You need to have one decent video from say phone which will have some sub par audio, then you'd record the good audio via the audio interface, then you'll use Vegas to sync up the picture from your phone/cam with the quality audio recorded via the PC audio interface. The cam mic sound capture can be used to sync the sound to the picture, then muted in the final product.

Windows has built in Movie Maker which you can edit and bring audio and video captured outside, I think you might be able to sync one audio file to video in there but it is harder and for just $50 I rather have a better tool...but you can try in there as well. I edit simple little videos with it and it does OK.
I did try the Movie Maker before. It is easy to use; however I can only use one audio file at a time. The good news is that I do have Audacity so maybe I can manage to fit in the guitar track and backing track and mix them together before uploading the audio mix to the movie maker.

My concern here is, I'm not quite sure if YouTube copyright policies might take this more seriously since I'm now using a studio quality audio for a video, not a live one.
Regards,
parhelia_0000