The amp in question is a Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube combo. I had it at 3 out of 12 when it happened. Anyways, I had a preset on my pedalboard I'd been working on for an organ sound and it's pretty bassy. Really bassy, in fact. I had my volume pedal pulled back while I was tinkering with it, and when I got on my pedal I heard this really loud noise. I don't know of it was what was happening to the amp, or just the volume coming from the pedalboard(rp500 btw). I do know that it was loud enough to shake my fireplace.

Immediately I pulled the volume pedal back, and I heard this low humming sound. I put my pedalboard in bypass, so it's definitely coming from the amp itself. In fact, if the volume is at 0 the hum is still there. It doesn't change with volume, and there's a higher pitched noise if I crank it to 9 or so(Without playing anything, of course).

There's also a bad smell, almost like a burning smell but not quite. I'd say the amp needs to be on a few minutes for it to start. When I turned it back on later I played a loop from my drum machine through it to see if the hum would go away eventually. I noticed that after a little while the volume dropped down, and it felt like turning up the volume on the amp didn't do as much as it should.

...So, what's the damage more than likely? I'm waiting to hear from Peavey if it's still under warranty, and if not I suppose I can take it to an amp repair place in Dallas or similar.

Edit: I'd describe the smell as the electric smell that the black racetracks you piece together at home put off. The ones with the cars with the metal tab and bristles. Like a hot electric motor I guess?

I've also attached 2 pictures of the tubes. 2 of them glow in the middle extremely bright, and all of them glow at the base in blue. Everything else is orange. As far as I know they're the stock tubes. All of this was done below 1 volume and without any input.

Last edited by slipknot3325698 at Jul 11, 2015,
The volume randomly dropping out is a sign that you need to replace your power tubes.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The volume randomly dropping out is a sign that you need to replace your power tubes.

What about a fuzzy/fizzing sound? Off and on I would randomly hear a faint fizz/fuzz sound, but it would always go away. Was that a sign I should replace the tubes? I'm hoping all will need to be done is to replace the tubes...
Quote by slipknot3325698 at #33496544
What about a fuzzy/fizzing sound? Off and on I would randomly hear a faint fizz/fuzz sound, but it would always go away. Was that a sign I should replace the tubes? I'm hoping all will need to be done is to replace the tubes...

Not sure. But I would replace the power tubes and see if the problem still persists.

EDIT: The pics of the tubes you've just posted look like they've redplated. Definitely replace them. I wouldn't try and run the amp again until they've been replaced.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 11, 2015,
Sigh. I remember the days when tube testers were everywhere. We had some odd Stark testers at work and Radio Shack had one in the store you could use for free. Now you'd have to spend a fortune for a rebuilt tester or use the low voltage newer ones that I don't believe test nearly a good.
Moving on.....
Would I be able to replace the tubes myself? I can do some mild soldering but wouldn't want to mess with it if it was anything very technical. I'm pretty sure they'd have to be biased in.

I actually wanted to at one point, I can't remember what other tube I wanted but I did intend to have them changed out at some point.
You could; if you do replace the tubes yourself PLEASE look up how to properly do it. Also research the different types of tubes.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
replacing tubes isn't hard. they pull out of the socket. unplugg amp when doing this. when putting back in just make sue the pis line up properly and the tube should go right in wthout a ton of effort. nothing more to it. peavey amps don't need to be biased so no issue there. you also have a premap tube which you may as well replace as well.
Mine did similar thing couple of years back ECC83S (12xa7) tube fried and took an output cap with it. Took it into a repair dude and he fixed it up with parts he had in stock. No big deal. Mines been fine since.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I took out the fuse today, no burn marks on there.

Could it be possible I'll just need to replace the preamp and the power tubes? That'd be a 12ax7 and 4 6l6gc's(I was thinking the T sol ones).

Edit: I actually think I'll go with a 12ax7 from EH, and the 6l6WXT+ from Sovtek. I was thinking about the 12ax7 LPS from Sovtek but not sure if I'd rather have it or the EH one. There's also the Midgain 12ax7 from JJ...
Last edited by slipknot3325698 at Jul 13, 2015,
So I powered it up again today, on a low volume. No burning smell, and I played for a few minutes. Tubes got pretty hot, but no burning smell. There would sometimes be a small "pop" sound, but other than that and the apparent hum everything sounded normal.

The 2 of 4 tubes in the back were also still glowing in a vertical line in the middle.

Do you think I can still solve the problem myself by changing the power and preamp tubes ?
Last edited by slipknot3325698 at Jul 23, 2015,
I think you should take it to a tech.

Be aware that ElectroHarmonixis just a brand name owned by New Sensor and the tubes are Russian (Reflektor plant) made. Same goes for Sovteks. The EH tubes are simply rebranded. Don't overthink tube brands; there are very few tube manufacturers left on the planet and a few large companies own most of the brand names.

JJ Electronic, on the other hand, is its own brand and the tubes are built in the Slovak republic.
Quote by KenG
Sigh. I remember the days when tube testers were everywhere. We had some odd Stark testers at work and Radio Shack had one in the store you could use for free. Now you'd have to spend a fortune for a rebuilt tester or use the low voltage newer ones that I don't believe test nearly a good.

I remember tube testers at drugs stores back when I was a kid.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge