Page 1 of 2
So i really dont know what guitar to buy. i mostly play blues rock but i also like grunge like nirvana and hard rock like GNR and ACDC. whick of this two is the best?
'vs' threads are bad, and you should feel bad.

There are more than 2 types of guitar in the world, and one of them may suit you far better than a strat of LP.
How old are you? Don't get this the wrong way, but Nirvana/G'N'R/ACDC are probably first bands for most people. You'll probably grow into some more bands. I'd always go for a Strat as a first guitar, but that's my personal taste. Have you considered a Tele instead of the two? It would solve the dilemma, and a bunch of blues guitarists used Teles. And you can use it for everything (you can use a Strat and Les Paul for everything, I'm just splitting hairs here).

I'm not useful at all, I know.
totally different guitars so it's tough to compare. play them and whichever one works the best for you is the right one. keep in mind that no guitar is perfect for everything. based on what you are saying though perhaps the Les Paul might be a slightly better choice. don't confuse blues rock with just SRV as there are and were many LP player that used LPs.
Quote by MSP254
How old are you? Don't get this the wrong way, but Nirvana/G'N'R/ACDC are probably first bands for most people. You'll probably grow into some more bands. I'd always go for a Strat as a first guitar, but that's my personal taste. Have you considered a Tele instead of the two? It would solve the dilemma, and a bunch of blues guitarists used Teles. And you can use it for everything (you can use a Strat and Les Paul for everything, I'm just splitting hairs here).

I'm not useful at all, I know.

umm.... I'm 54 and still listen to all those bands as well as play there music. good music stays good forever.
If it were up to me I'd go for the Les Paul. I'm biased as I generally really like Les Pauls but for hard rock stuff they're pretty tough to beat. GnR, AC/DC and Nirvana all use humbucker loaded guitars (in fairness Kurt Cobain did use HB loaded Fenders), but alot of other grunge bands used LP's as well, Cantrell, Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam to name a couple.

And a fair amount of blues players also use LP's and other Gibsons (Bonamassa, Warren Haynes, Freddie King, Peter Green etc etc, the list goes on.)
Quote by monwobobbo
umm.... I'm 54 and still listen to all those bands as well as play there music. good music stays good forever.

Then I say go for the LP. I'd much rather go for a SG if I had a musical taste like yours, but you know, I'm not a big LP fan
Quote by MSP254
Then I say go for the LP. I'd much rather go for a SG if I had a musical taste like yours, but you know, I'm not a big LP fan

i'm not the OP just responding to what you said. for the record i prefer an SG as well. i have several guitar so i've got my bases covered.
Quote by monwobobbo

+1

well apart from being 54. and i'm not superfond of nirvana. but gnr and acdc are awesome.

HSS fat strat maybe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slapsymcdougal

There are more than 2 types of guitar in the world, and one of them may suit you far better than a strat of LP.

Thank you! Finally someone said it. This is going to make it to my signature.

With all the choices in the world how is it that folks voluntarily feel like they have to restrict themselves to just two is a puzzle to me.
i also like funk and blues like bb king and buddy guy do you think the LP can do that? specially funk rhythm?
I wouldn't personally reach for an LP if I was going for funk rhythm. Good thing I got a tele for just such situations. If I'm trying to emulate a Fender player I'll go for my telecaster, Gibson players (or most Hard Rock) my Les Paul. Both instruments are quite versatile and will get you a lot of sounds, but I don't think either will get you completely into the others territory.

As was mentioned earlier there is a whole plethora of stuff out there beyond these two choices. If your needing to have everything in a single instrument perhaps something along the lines of a PRS might be in order, they kinda of straddle the line between the two whilst still offering there own unique playing experience. And that's just scratching the surface of what else is out there.
Quote by adelino316
i also like funk and blues like bb king and buddy guy do you think the LP can do that? specially funk rhythm?

while not the obvious choice it will work. the Theme From Shaft was done of a LP and bands like the Brothers Johnson used them back in the 70s. if you are talking RHCP then no that's a strat.
A majority of your rig's sound comes from the pickups, your amp, and any effects you are using. Those are what you are going to have to tailor towards the style of music you want to play. The best guitar is the one that feels best in your hands, and that is something only you can figure out for yourself. And it is stupid to limit yourself to just two alternatives.
You should get an SG. Its the best of most worlds.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by dthmtl3

With all the choices in the world how is it that folks voluntarily feel like they have to restrict themselves to just two is a puzzle to me.

Depending on where you are and how much money you have, those might be the most obvious and available choices. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and the proverbial deceased feline traversing space-time in an arc is more likely to hit one of those than anything else.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo

I'm with ya on this! There's a lot of new music that is good and a lot that isn't so judging by age of the song is wrong.
Moving on.....
Variax JTV-59 will do any tone you want.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by dthmtl3
Thank you! Finally someone said it. This is going to make it to my signature.

A great many are thinly disguised versions of either a Strat or an LP. There's a reason they've been around as long as they have, they are basic enough to not be too trendy or too associated with any one type of music.

People worry way too much about sound and not about comfort. You can vary the tone quite a bit on any instrument by the way you play, adjust your guitar or amp.

The major differences to a player in design of a (6 string) guitar are: scale length, fingerboard radius, bridge type (fixed or tremolo) and neck set style. Everything else can be swapped out easily. And if you charted the aspects of many guitars the categories resolve into s mall group based on that stuff.
OP I asked myself that question Strat vs LP many years ago and honestly I wish I had considered the qualities I mentioned at that time. I'd have chosen an LP 13 years earlier than I did.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 12, 2015,
I feel kind of ripped off that no one has recommended a Reverend or a Fernandes yet... seems to be the 'done' thing around here on most occasions...

Get the EVH Wolfgang, its seriously all of the worlds combined for you OP, Fender built, Humbuckers and an LP body shape...
Quote by dazza027
I feel kind of ripped off that no one has recommended a Reverend or a Fernandes yet... seems to be the 'done' thing around here on most occasions...

Whatever do you mean?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

just get a strat with a humbucker, seems like a fine idea.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 13, 2015,
I swear you have those links on some sort of speed dial... lmao

For what its worth, I like the bottom 2, the top one is a bit meh...
Last edited by dazza027 at Jul 13, 2015,
It's worse than that...it's my Reverb watch list.

Quote by adelino316
So i really dont know what guitar to buy. i mostly play blues rock but i also like grunge like nirvana and hard rock like GNR and ACDC. whick of this two is the best?

Do you have $3500? If no, then get a Strat. Seriously though, you can play Nirvana with anything - Kurt used all kinds of guitars, most of which were Mustangs and Jazzmasters.

I would suggest an SG over a Les Paul for cost reasons.

Strats are way more flexible if your tastes in music change - i.e. you can actually play clean sounding music on them.
^ wut
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id go sg, one ac-dc is famous for using them, the sg has a few advantages over the les paul. For one thing they are lighter, depending on your fitness playing standing up with a heavy guitar can be tiring. also they are cheaper due to construction methods. I would avoid the 2015 gibson sg its much heavier and has a very thick neck. So budget, location, willing to go used?

edit... i can play imaculate cleans with a dimarzio xn2 a pick up notorious for terrible cleans so your arguement is invalid... Its called a volume knob
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jul 13, 2015,
Neither are better... its personal taste. Personally im a Les Paul man... but I LOVE the tone Rory Gallagher gets from that Strat. I like the sound but the feel is not right for me to play myself.
Stratocasters 22 Les Pauls 0
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32356621&postcount=10966

Quote by adelino316
What you need is a new amp. Like a Blackstar, people love them around here
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
THE REAL 22.

Strats suck arse cos
1. They is stronger, when compared to wet spaghetti, but only just
2. They're played by all the greats, especially live on youtube, the pro's play LP's (Gary Moore, nuff said)
3. A lefty can play Purple Haze on a Lefty LP cos any sook can play it on a strat.
4. I don't have one so they must be crap.
5. Fender comes before Gibson in the dictionary, but show me a man who cares who comes first and I'll show you a strat player.
6. Fenders second seconds don't get chipped and sent to the Jack Daniels distillery, Gibsons do. Fenders second seconds ie the crapper than crap ones just get sold as Squier's.
7. An ex-bandmate drummer from overseas once pronounced a Les Paul like 'Lay Paul' because he thought it was French. Very Classy. There is no ambiguity when asked what guitar you own when you're a strat player, as stratocaster repeated back to you often sounds just like 'oh, man, I'm so sorry...' try it for yourself...
8. You will find Fender Stratocaster's on guitar hero, you won't even find Epiphone whoring its arse so low...
9. Only one thing is worse than a strat and thats a super strat which you would think would be infinitely better but its not.
10. Strats are contoured, at the back... LP's are shaped at the front, where you can see it.
11. Even the best Strat (oxymoron I know) has a bolt on neck.
12. To date, no Strats have tuners which stay where you left them last, ie in tune.
13. Er, you'll never see an awesome list like this for Les Pauls, Oh wait up...
14. The wood for Strats have always been 100% legal, pine is legal in all 50 states.
15. You can store 1 dozen condoms and half an ounce of coke in an LP, under that back plate
16. A Strat's outline is recognisable at a glance. If you were squinting, a Les Paul looks like a parlour acoustic guitar in outline, bitches just love dudes who can play an acoustic AND an LP, they send their brothers up to kiss the strat players.
17. Lighter weight guitars are better for your back, same goes with tits. This is not necessarily a good thing.
18. 59 Sunburst.
19. The vintage fender vibrato was made from tin cans and won't intonate. What looks better on any guitar, a genuine fender trem or a Bigsby?
20. The Les Paul was invented by Les Paul and was so damned good that Gibson called it the Les Paul.
21. Gibson tried to make a better Les Paul than the Les Paul and produces the SG, which is also better than any strat, but not a shade on the LP.
22. A strat has three knobs for three pick ups, 2 for tone, one for volume. What did the other pick up do to be deprived of a tone knob of its own? It didn't, just like a LP, a strat has 4 knobs too except unlike an LP, the fourth knob is the dude holding the guitar wishing he was Hendrix.
Quote by dazza027
T/snip
22. A strat has three knobs for three pick ups, 2 for tone, one for volume. What did the other pick up do to be deprived of a tone knob of its own? It didn't, just like a LP, a strat has 4 knobs too except unlike an LP, the fourth knob is the dude holding the guitar wishing he was Hendrix.
orly?
Not quite getting what your implying, LP Black Beauty - check, 3 pick ups - check, the only thing I can't see is a knob holding it trying to play star spangled banner while smashed out of his skull in his bedroom hooked to his Frontman 10g and $20 wah, but that aint no picture of a strat is it lol.
Quote by dazza027
Not quite getting what your implying, LP Black Beauty - check, 3 pick ups - check, the only thing I can't see is a knob holding it trying to play star spangled banner while smashed out of his skull in his bedroom hooked to his Frontman 10g and $20 wah, but that aint no picture of a strat is it lol.

3 pickups, 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs. And a 3-way switch.
Still. Better. Than. A. Fender.

To be fair, I don't like the 3 pickup deal with the Black Beauty, some people do? There is a choice though, buy the Custom in Black and no pesky third pick up to get in the way.
Quote by dazza027
Awww. Don't worry, if you eat your greens one day you'll grow up and move on from endless bad renditions of bad songs like Sweet Child onto real music. And onto a proper guitar that isn't glued together in a weak-ass way, and doesn't have a lame-ass ancient nitro finish.

Quote by dazza027
Still. Better. Than. A. Fender.
It's one thing to defend the LP shape in general but Gibson? Gibson are the undisputed worst guitar manufacturer on the planet right now.
Even the electronic tuners - ok it's a futuristic kinda thing, but what do they put on them? Pathetic green plastic tuners! All sorts of fail.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Les Paul's are nice until you take them out of the case. I've had several. The only one I have now is made by ESP. Not everything on UG is correct but besides the PLEK machine, Gibson is kind of crappy. I have two strats and I like to play Stratovarius so I may be bias.
Page 1 of 2