So last night I had a pretty interesting idea. I was fiddling with my whammy bar and using it as some sort of slide-tool. I never really considered using a real bottleneck for serious playing becasue I find it too limiting. I can't play some basic chords or some specific riffs with it that are a major part of my style. So instead I though about using a small ring which would be used as a slide tool. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Any thoughts on this? Despite my girlfriend being extremely eager about getting married some day I still don't have any ring so haven't tried it myself yet.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Peaceland makes a ring slide in a few different sizes and materials. Never used one, but I have heard that they are decent but have mediocre sustain and tone due to light weight. Will Ray from the Hellacasters uses something similar.

A wedding ring would be smaller and lighter still and so it would probably be ineffective.

You might also want to take a look at the JetSlide or Shubb Axys as well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I cut ring out of a copper tube pipe and sanded it down and used that. It worked pretty well for what it was, but it was cumbersome and I had to position my hand in an inconvenient way.

I'd opt for the special ring that theogonia mentioned above
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I've made a couple for a local player, by cutting a standard metal bottleneck down to about 1/2", IIRC. I don't know how well they worked.

You can by partial bottlenecks that are standard length, but are open on most of one side so that you can bend your finger for standard fretting, or swivel it round for full bottleneck. I've never seen anyone using one.
Quote by Tony Done
You can by partial bottlenecks that are standard length, but are open on most of one side so that you can bend your finger for standard fretting, or swivel it round for full bottleneck. I've never seen anyone using one.

That's what the JetSlide and Axys are.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
A wedding band will not accomplish what you are looking for.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
A wedding band will not accomplish what you are looking for.

Too small, too light, too soft, too easily scratched, etc.
Quote by theogonia777
Too small, too light, too soft, too easily scratched, etc.

+1

The surface area is the biggest problem, imho
My God, it's full of stars!
I wasn't planing to use the slide-tool on all strings anyway, only one one for some minor effects to be added to my style. I already thought precision might be an issue with a regular kind of ring. Thanks for the input, thought
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.