Greeting everyone. I'm moving out of the country for at least 3 months and won't be able to use my guitar (which breaks my heart considering i got it just a month ago ). The thing is, I have a Jackson RRXMG with floyd rose special. The guitar will stay at home in it's case in horizontal position so the thing that concerns me is should I remove the strings because of neck bowing possibilites and other damage or is it better for the floyd to remain as it is? (it's perfectly setup)
no as long as the tension on the neck isn't increased it'll be fine. i'd loosen the strings just a hair but that's it.
Leave it as it is. Guitars are stored in cases under full tension all the time and nothing bad happens to them because of it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Don't touch a damned thing, just put it in its bag or case and shut the lid. Be prepared to chuck some new strings on when you get it out again. People always take into account the string tension on the neck but forget the equal but opposite tension of the truss rod pulling the other way... They cancel each other out, if anything, loosening the strings off may even cause problems by taking away that equilibrium but I wouldn't know because I leave the damned guitar alone when its stored and never have such problems.
I left my PRS in it's case for well over a year and no issues. I have some guitars that only get played every few months and no issues except stale strings

I have seen guitars that were in cases for 40yrs and they were fine also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 13, 2015,
Owning 15 electrics, it's safe to say I don't play some of them for period well exceeding 3 months...

As humidity changes with the seasons, I'll either find them tuned a quarter tone flat or sharp from where I left them when I take them out. No big deal with the light strings I use. (Moving up from 9's to 10's would increase tension on the neck more.)

No harm will be done to your guitar. Just don't store it where it will be exposed to increased air flow, temperate fluctuations or moisture. (Avoid storing in against an outer wall, in a humid environment, close to a radiator/heater etc.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Leave it at pitch. It'll be fine.
I'd suggest putting a piece of thin plastic between the strings and the frets (a lot of guitars ship that way). And I'd also suggest putting a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) emitter in the case with the guitar. Cheap, about $10, from places like www.theruststore.com.

http://www.theruststore.com/VCI-C12.aspx

These two steps will help reduce or eliminate corrosion of strings, frets and other metal pieces during storage.
Quote by Tony Done
Leave them as-is. I might consider loosening an acoustic, but not an electric.

That's the reason why I made this thread, a few years ago a buddy of mine opened the case of his 12-string and his scream while seeing the bridge and wood around it totaly ripped from the guitar still rings in my ears.

Quote by dazza027
Don't touch a damned thing, just put it in its bag or case and shut the lid. Be prepared to chuck some new strings on when you get it out again. People always take into account the string tension on the neck but forget the equal but opposite tension of the truss rod pulling the other way... They cancel each other out, if anything, loosening the strings off may even cause problems by taking away that equilibrium but I wouldn't know because I leave the damned guitar alone when its stored and never have such problems.

The answer I was looking for, thanks for the knowledge. That's exactly what I was fearing, that the neck would adjust itself to having no string tension and then it would bow when new strings would be put on. It will stay as it is, i'll tell someone at home to open the case for a few hours every week. Humidity shouldn't be a problem since I have that white absorbing box thingy.

Thanks everyone, thread can be locked.
A 12 string has way more tension that a 6 string and on an acoustic the bridge is glued down, not the case with an electric
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate