I actually just bought a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo used and I have a few weeks to return it if I don't like it. I sort of impulse bought it since it seemed like such a good deal, but I am wondering if I made a mistake.

I listen to a lot of metal, but I also like playing some 80's rock. I played a Blackstar amp at GC the other day (Not sure exactly which one, 20W tube combo) and it sounded fantastic, but cost a little more than what I paid for my used amp.

Here are some things that I want to play:

Power Metal: Dream Evil, Firewind, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, etc.

Classic Metal: Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica

Melodic Death Metal: Amon Amarth, Death, Kalmah, Opeth

80's Rock: Scorpions, Journey, Foreigner

Might also try some Dream Theater if I'm feeling a little crazy.

So my question is how does the Peavey stack up for this kind of list? Would the Blackstar be a better fit? Something else? I know there is no definitive right or wrong answer, just looking for as many opinions as I can get. Thanks.
Your 6505 should handle that fine. They do sound better with a speaker upgrade, but you should be satisfied with it stock if it works properly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, replace the speaker and tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd rather get a dual recto for that stuff, but I agree a 6505 would work, and a lot better with a different speaker.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Don't be afraid to use the Green Channel with Crunch on for most of that stuff up to the Classic Metal stuff.

These amps can be pretty versatile if you give them a chance.

I'd start nickel and diming some normal add-ons when you find a good deal on them: Tubescreamer (look at Joyo Vintage Overdrive and used Bad Monkey for the less expensive way), MXR 10-Band EQ in the loop, Speaker swap to a Vintage 30 or clone (check out WGS Veteran30).

JJ tubes are normally recommended as well (that's what I put in my 5150). I'd look into a 5751 for the Phase Inverter. There are a ton of threads on tubes in these amps.

Check out some of Kailm's threads on modding his 6505+ combo - the loop mod looks almost like a must IMO.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^^Yeah, the effects loop mod is a must -- and very simple and cheap.

TS, I responded to your thread in the Metal forum.

I forgot to mention tubes. For starters, put 5751 tubes (JJs have always been great for me) in V1 and the phase inverter positions. This will clean up and warm up your cleans and make your high-gain clearer as well as improve your lower-gain crunch sounds on the rhythm channel.

As metalmingee said, the rhythm channel with the crunch switch engaged provides a lot of versatility. A lot of people overlook it and go straight to the lead channel and then say "all this thing does is brootz." I find the gain knob on the rhythm channel to be a lot more useful/versatile than that of the lead channel. The lead channel is pretty much all BAWLS all the time no matter where you set the gain (which I have no problem with, lol). But I've gotten interesting results setting the gain low on the rhythm channel w/ crunch engaged, then boosting it with one or two ODs simultaneously. With the gain set to around "5" and an OD boost it gets right in the ballpark of old Metallica. With gain set high, it gets heavy/gainy enough for death metal but is a nice alternative to the lead channel.

And as for other mods -- I've done most of them. Currently, my lead channel is sort of "halfway" modded to 5150 specs. I had it all the way modded to 5150 specs and decided it wasn't quite for me. But if you're interested, I can walk you through them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 13, 2015,
Thanks for the input everyone. I need to look into some of the modifications more to try and get a better idea of exactly what effect they will have on the sound. I like the amp so far, but I just want to make sure that I have the best amp for the money that will work the way I want it to.

KailM, I will try and find your modification thread. Thanks. (Also I will probably PM you in the near future
Jeez, that's my grail of an amp and you got a good deal on one and are wondering whether to keep it???
Quote by dthmtl3
Jeez, that's my grail of an amp and you got a good deal on one and are wondering whether to keep it???

They are OK amps, but nothing special at all. Far from a dream amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, they're just a poor man's SLO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Quote by Cathbard
Meaning you have a better amp for metalcore in mind?
Or an amp with that angry character that's not so dry?

It's not particularly sought after, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a "dream amp" for somebody.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Meaning you have a better amp for metalcore in mind?
Or an amp with that angry character that's not so dry?

It's not particularly sought after, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a "dream amp" for somebody.

The 5150/6505+ is fine for that, but not the MIC 1x12 combo is what I was talking about. For TS price range he did just fine, for a dream amp, not so much.

The USA made 5150/6505+ are very good amps that are built like tanks.

Yes there are IMO better amps for metalcore, but they are also much more expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

Bah, humbug!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Robbgnarly

Agreed to an extent; my dream amp would have outstanding cleans, Plexi-like crunch, and a brutal lead channel just like my 6505+ 112 has all in one package -- but such an amp would cost $3k+. For a metalhead like myself (who happens to be flat broke most of the time) it's very hard to beat this amp. And with some of the mods I've done it's really on a much higher level. Talking about the lead channel now, and in terms of pure, raw aggression and a balance of crushing low-end and cutting mids, I haven't played an amp yet that I thought could do a better job. And that includes the 120 watt U.S. made version. Bear in mind though that mine is upgraded in just about every possible way and running through a 412 cab with nice speakers. But I've probably only got about $800 total wrapped up in my rig, not including pedals.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 14, 2015,
You could have all that with an RM100, man, and it aint gonna cost no $3K
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by KailM
Agreed to an extent; my dream amp would have outstanding cleans, Plexi-like crunch, and a brutal lead channel just like my 6505+ 112 has all in one package -- but such an amp would cost $3k+. For a metalhead like myself (who happens to be flat broke most of the time) it's very hard to beat this amp. And with some of the mods I've done it's really on a much higher level. Talking about the lead channel now, and in terms of pure, raw aggression and a balance of crushing low-end and cutting mids, I haven't played an amp yet that I thought could do a better job. And that includes the 120 watt U.S. made version. Bear in mind though that mine is upgraded in just about every possible way and running through a 412 cab with nice speakers. But I've probably only got about $800 total wrapped up in my rig, not including pedals.

This is the same quest that led me to find the Mesa Roadster - my 5150 does the very heavy and some of the lighter stuff and can get an ok clean but only 2 sounds at a time and some involve tube swaps. The Roadster does 4 sounds (channels) at a time and has 12 modes total (some that overlap for foot switchable differences), 2 wattage settings (for headroom and tracking character), independent reverb, rectification and EQ per channel, global power sag setting, etc and does all of the sounds very, very well. Sounds great at lower volumes and can melt faces. I don't see it going anywhere for a while! I got the 212 combo used for $1,100 including the footswitch and it comes with Mesa Vintage30s.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
This is the same quest that led me to find the Mesa Roadster - my 5150 does the very heavy and some of the lighter stuff and can get an ok clean but only 2 sounds at a time and some involve tube swaps. The Roadster does 4 sounds (channels) at a time and has 12 modes total (some that overlap for foot switchable differences), 2 wattage settings (for headroom and tracking character), independent reverb, rectification and EQ per channel, global power sag setting, etc and does all of the sounds very, very well. Sounds great at lower volumes and can melt faces. I don't see it going anywhere for a while! I got the 212 combo used for $1,100 including the footswitch and it comes with Mesa Vintage30s.

Smart move! That's one versatile beast...a touch heavy maybe but that's what the wife is for.
Quote by diabolical
Totally agree with that assessment. Especially now with these new little Chinese made combos, I can say a lot could be upgraded.

I sure didn't like my MIC 6505+ 1x12 , I sent that one down the road , I could have upgraded speaker and tubes but didn't see the point on a Chinese 2 channel amp when I wasn't really on a low budget to begin with
Quote by metalmingee

Hmmm. There's one of those heads at a local pawn shop. (or is it a Road King, if that exists???, can't remember off the top of my head. It is covered in a tweed material and definitely a dual Rec at its core.) They have $1600 on the price tag. Which means it might be available for $1000 cash, lol. Anyway, every time I've played a Rectifier I thought it sorely needed an OD boost to tighten it up, but there was no OD available at the time. So I'm not quite sold on those (could change my mind though).

One of my dream amps though is actually a different Mesa; the Royal Atlantic. Crazy good sounds out of that thing -- and it has versatility.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Fumble fingers
I sure didn't like my MIC 6505+ 1x12 , I sent that one down the road , I could have upgraded speaker and tubes but didn't see the point on a Chinese 2 channel amp when I wasn't really on a low budget to begin with

See, I think a lot of people who are accustomed to higher-end amps try the MIC 6505+ 112, note its shortcomings, and then dismiss it without really giving it a chance (or trying any upgrades). There's no doubt about it, it's got some flaws out of the box. Namely, it needs better tubes, a better speaker (or just get a cab like I did) an OD up front and an EQ pedal in the loop. And when you run the effects loop, you'll notice the terrible buffer in said loop. That's a 50 cent fix, and it becomes a new amp afterward. So with a little research and modification as well as pedals that you'd use on any other amp as well (OD and EQ), it can sound great. I've upgraded mine slowly and it's been a rewarding experience. I haven't really had any other options though, as I can't afford anything else, even in the used market.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 15, 2015,
@KailM - you realize that you're talking about buying a say 5 year old Ford Focus and then dropping in high performance parts that cost almost the price of the car. That's the reason why people take them back, because they're disappointed in them stock. It is basically the kiddie version of the big amp, and they decided to skimp on everything in it.

BTW - not sure about your issue with gain and Mesa amps, I run active pickup Jackson Soloist in front of my Mesa Mini and that thing is a beast (or a mini beast) out of the box. There's too much distortion, and I never thought I'd say that
Seriously, it has crazy gain and I can't say it isn't tight, so maybe we're talking passive pickup guitars here as all the rectifiers that I've played through didn't seem to need extra gain...well maybe for solo boost as a tone change to cut through better, but not as a fix for lack of distortion.
^^My issue with Dual Recs isn't a lack of gain, not at all. They have all just seemed...mushy, for lack of a better term. It's more of a feel and response thing for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Anyway, I know what my ears tell me. My rig sounds bloody awesome, and I didn't have to put the price of the amp back into it to make it that way, other than a cab which everyone must buy if they're going to run a head. Cheers.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 15, 2015,