I'm wanting to sell my Dean Mustaine VMNTX with EMG 81 and 85 plus the original passives but am unsure of what to price it at. The body is like new condition and the pickups are perfect, but the 85 is not hooked up so it's just placed in the neck position. Does $275 sound overpriced? I bought the guitar used for $170 and the pickups go for $100-$130 used. Should I knock the price down or put it up for $275?
I would put it back to stock prior to sale. You never get your money out of modifications, so you might as well sell them separately. Or keep them for another project. I always keep my stock parts around if I mod the guitar and put it back together when I sell it
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You bought the guitar for $170 and you're looking to get pretty much all of that back? Wow...
I would sell the stock guitar and hope to get $130.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
You bought the guitar for $170 and you're looking to get pretty much all of that back? Wow...
I would sell the stock guitar and hope to get $130.

He said he bought it use d. If you buy smart, it's not hard to break even or make money.

However OP, I really do not think that a guitar that is not fully functioning (neck pickup not working) is going to go over well. You will lose your ass on it as is. Swap the original pickups back in and sell it stock, totally functional.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
He said he bought it use d. If you buy smart, it's not hard to break even or make money.

However OP, I really do not think that a guitar that is not fully functioning (neck pickup not working) is going to go over well. You will lose your ass on it as is. Swap the original pickups back in and sell it stock, totally functional.

Yes, but I'd say that price is still a bit too hopeful. Then again I'm a pessimist **** and live in Finland soo I don't know. I've made some money when buying used, but that has been when it was a bargain and I clearly knew better.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by PiercedBand
I'm wanting to sell my Dean Mustaine VMNTX with EMG 81 and 85 plus the original passives but am unsure of what to price it at. The body is like new condition and the pickups are perfect, but the 85 is not hooked up so it's just placed in the neck position. Does $275 sound overpriced? I bought the guitar used for $170 and the pickups go for $100-$130 used. Should I knock the price down or put it up for $275?

Never expect to get back the money you pay for pickups. You're much better off to put the original passives back in the guitar, try to get as much of your original money back and then sell the actives separately for whatever you can get.