I ply a Blackstar ID.....I have been pushing trying to get an even better sound.I tried the digitech bad monkey, really didnt care or it to tighten up my sound so with this type of amp would a tube screamer help? would a big muff sound good with this amp? how about a compression sustainer pedal? just not sure ince its somewhat of modeling amp, just always trying to push this amp into even more of of tube-like.
Quote by jamesdolecek
I ply a Blackstar ID.....I have been pushing trying to get an even better sound.I tried the digitech bad monkey, really didnt care or it to tighten up my sound so with this type of amp would a tube screamer help? would a big muff sound good with this amp? how about a compression sustainer pedal? just not sure ince its somewhat of modeling amp, just always trying to push this amp into even more of of tube-like.

Uh.... the digitech monkey IS a tube screamer...

But you're trying to push a modeling amp with a tube screamer pedal.... may not work that well.

Maybe if you could let us know your current AMP settings and the ones you're using with bad monkey, we could see if changing them can help.
Yup. Bad Monkey is a tubescreamer clone with a few changes. Digital modeling amps do not really take "pushing" that well and in worst case scenario may even clip the input stage (easily done with older bean shaped Pods without input for active pickups). It does not even need pushing, it already has enough gain to melt your face and I doubt it even reacts the same way as a real tube amp would when you turn the gain down and push it back up with overdrive (or very hot pickups) which in case of real analog amps often sounds better than just cranking the gain on amp.

Best result would be using the Bad Monkey only for coloring your tone. On pedal turn the gain off and set the Level about 2-3 a clock which does not boost the signal but still provides the overdrive pedals mid boost and bass cut that tightens your tone. I often do this with my Pod X3 because its own tubescreamer emulation is like ass.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jul 13, 2015,
you're trying to get blood out of a rock. there is no pedal that's going to make a blackstar ID more "tubey".

what you need is a new amp.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 13, 2015,
Quote by gregs1020
you're trying to get blood out of a rock. there is no pedal that's going to make a blackstar ID more "tubey".

what you need is a new amp.

Damage Control

-Womanizer
-Demonizer
-Liquid Blues
-Solid Metal

will all make an amp more "tubey". After all, they´re full of tubes!

But then, a 150 Euro tube amp will also sound more "tubey"!
I told this guy repeatedly. Don't buy that amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
I told this guy repeatedly. Don't buy that amp.

It actually is a treat amp, just trying to gwt as much out of it as i can...hope it makes you feel better to try to tell everyone i told you so....hope that bring a your insecurities by pointing that....hate will never get you anything but unhappiness

and guys just trying to get the best setup i can possibly get...i have heard my amp takes pedals very well so its trial and error what works and what doesnt and those who responded politely, thank you for your input.
Quote by kentuckyklira
Damage Control

-Womanizer
-Demonizer
-Liquid Blues
-Solid Metal

will all make an amp more "tubey". After all, they´re full of tubes!

stop. they will not.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.