I just bought some nice gear and would like to know if I am missing anything crucial in order to get the Marco sfogli's sound. My sound chain goes like this:

• ESP Horizon NT2 with Seymour duncans (JB and 59's)
  • Bugera 333xl infinium amplifier head with 6L6 power tubes (I plug my guitar into high gain input)
  • TC Electronic - Poly Tune mini
  • MXR - Stereo Chorus
  • TC Electronic - Flashback triple delay
  • TC Electronic - Hall of fame reverb (I have another reverb which I dont use on the head)
  • TC Electronic - Ditto Looper x2
  • Torpedo Studio (I am using torpedo remote to choose my cabinets and position my virtual mic. - I can use 2 cabs and 2 mic. at the same time)

In general I get some sick sounding gitar tones with my set but none is similar to Marco's... Any general suggestions? Am I missing some stomp boxes? Should I put DiMarzio Activator pickups into my guitar (If possible I would like to avoid this)? Is my amplifier not the right one?
Last edited by 71GA at Jul 13, 2015,
I'm not familiar with the gent but I dig his tones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz-SH6S1xU

From the wiki on him, he uses Mesa amps and also the Axe-FX modeler. Dunno how close the Bugera can get to his patches on the Axe-FX or what his Mesa does. Bugera isn't too praised around here, mostly for reliability issues though I think. But as far as tone basis you shouldn't be far off.

Out of that list, "crucial" elements that you probably want: An overdrive. A tubescreamer or clone of would work nicely, but a TS9 is probably your best bet. A wah. I heard a wah on that track I posted. It's a common pedal with hard rock/metal solos. Maybe a true-bypass crybaby. Does your guitar have a whammy bar? Marco was using that pretty extensively in the track.

Also, how are you using the torpedo studio with your physical amp? Are you running a line out? I'd suggest to just mic the amp if you aren't. Use a nice audio interface and hook up an SM57 to it, from the amp to the audio interface to the computer.

Run your signal chain like this:

Guitar > Tuner > TS9 > Amp

Amp send > Wah > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Looper > Amp return

That will give you an optimal tone in my experience. You boost the front end of the amp to saturation with the TS9 rather than the amp doing all the work.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 13, 2015,
Bugera can deliver good tone - check it out in combination with Torpedo Live. I have already had some issues with Bugera, but now it is fixed and it works.

I do not have the overdrive, but I can crank up my amp because Torpedo Studio works as a loadbox and enables me to get saturation on the room level. I am not sure if amp saturation is the same as overdrive though. Have you seen Ibanez's Tube screamer mini. Looks nice. You think overdrive pedal is the most crucial part?

I don't have whamy bar and don't need it, because I don't intend to play Marco's songs. I would only like to use his tone on my songs. What about wah? Is it really so crutial for the tone?

And this is my favourite tone from Marco. Insane...

I own only one Audix i5 microphone, but miking my Harley Benton cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's is not an option, because we live in a flat. Furthermore Torpedo Live has impulse responses for MESA cabinets and because I can use two microphones with it, I can always put one in the front of the MESA cabinet (close to the center) while I position the other behind the cabinet named "Watt Fan0" (I don't know which cabinet it simulates) which was chosen for it's best bottom end. Then I blend the two mics (I don't use extreme left/right panning) and save the settings - this is how I avoid troublesome microphone placements which I hate so much. Torpedo Studio is really nice because it gives me virtual studio space which I don't have...

What about the gain on my amplifier? Do you think I should max it out?
Last edited by 71GA at Jul 13, 2015,
Your amp has preamp/master volume controls, so you shouldn't have to crank the amp in both regards and use a load box to bring the volume back down. Modern gain is from preamp distortion. Along with that, you don't have to crank the amp to mic it.
Not absolutely essential, but a tubescreamer or SD1-style od pedal used as a boost can really help to get the saturation and compression which helps for that melodic shred style of playing, especially at low volumes.

No need to spend a ton, there are a lot of cheaper tubescreamer clones around.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I found a lot of info in this interview where Marco Sfogli tells that he uses an AXE FX2, and efects like delay, reverb, chorus and compressor... He never mentions an overdrive. I really need to take a look at what compression pedal does...
^ Yeah, but I guess (I haven't tried it) the axe fx 2 has overdrive pedal models etc. on it? Also modellers sometimes sound more saturated than the actual amps they're modelling, maybe it doesn't need the boost- but if he's trying to approximate it with a tube amp it might be helpful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah, but I guess (I haven't tried it) the axe fx 2 has overdrive pedal models etc. on it? Also modellers sometimes sound more saturated than the actual amps they're modelling, maybe it doesn't need the boost- but if he's trying to approximate it with a tube amp it might be helpful.

So probably I really need an overdrive pedal...
Quote by 71GA
So probably I really need an overdrive pedal...

On the other hand, it absolutely never hurts to have a decent overdrive pedal along the lines of an SD-1 or Tubescreamer/clone, and that's not gonna break the bank by any means.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ Agreed, that's kind of what I was implying. I'd never suggest buying gear to cover up technique issues (or even just not knowing how to use your gear), but you can get cheap, good ODs for such little money, and most players find them so useful, that not having one (or at least never having tried one to see what they can do for you) is possibly biting off your nose to spite your face.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well here is Marco's pedalboard he uses live. There is the new Ibanez mini tube screamer like you said and a TC Electronics Flashback triple delay. But I don't know other pedals. Even the settings can be read...

Who knows all of these pedals?
^ tc electronic flashback x4
tc electronic corona chorus
xotic BB preamp pedal
mi audio tube zone
ibanez mini tubescreamer
xotic sp compressor
tc electronic polytune

I think. Not 100% certain because the photo is just a little too small to be 100% sure of the writing on them, but I think that's what they are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bit fizzy (maybe too much gain? or too much treble/presence?) but other than that i don't think that's that far away. close enough to play his stuff at least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?