1. Every time I see an ad for studio foam. It's always in a room with just a computer and monitors. Never in a room with drums and amps. Is there certain treatment to have for your "control room" vs one for your recording room?

2. Mixers and Interfaces. I always see studios with full racks AND a giant mixer. Wouldn't putting a mixer in front of your interface void the preamps on your interface?

3. It's finally time to invest in some monitors. I used a stereo when I had my 2i4 but when I upgraded to the 18i20 I didn't realize there were not the red/white audio out. So I'm stuck with just headphones at the moment. I was once told on this forum that the Equator D5s are some of hte best for the money but I haven't seen them mentioned in these forums since. My budget is about $400 but I'd really like to pay less. Any recomendations for monitors under $300? Under $200? Under $100?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Quote by Billwallace89
1. Every time I see an ad for studio foam. It's always in a room with just a computer and monitors. Never in a room with drums and amps. Is there certain treatment to have for your "control room" vs one for your recording room?

2. Mixers and Interfaces. I always see studios with full racks AND a giant mixer. Wouldn't putting a mixer in front of your interface void the preamps on your interface?

3. It's finally time to invest in some monitors. I used a stereo when I had my 2i4 but when I upgraded to the 18i20 I didn't realize there were not the red/white audio out. So I'm stuck with just headphones at the moment. I was once told on this forum that the Equator D5s are some of hte best for the money but I haven't seen them mentioned in these forums since. My budget is about $400 but I'd really like to pay less. Any recomendations for monitors under $300? Under $200? Under $100?

1. Most places with two rooms were purpose-built and don't use stuff like foam. Most pro places use fiberglass instead of foam, I'll let someone else throw the book at you on this topic, though.

2. Their interfaces are usually solely AD/DA, with no preamps. The board provides pre-amplification and equalization and then that's run through converters into a DAW (in a hybrid setup like you describe). The other rack units are patched in and out as necessary.

3. Assuming US Dollars, don't spend under $300. Nothing worthwhile exists under $200. Nothing exists under $100 unless your cousin fred is selling his used Rokits and he likes you enough to give you a deal. You want to MAX your budget on monitors, they're absolutely crucial. Spend the $400 total. My *personal* recommendation? Spend all of your money on the most expensive monitors that say 'Yamaha' on them. Or get those Equators, they're fine too. Trust me, you do NOT want to skimp on this part of the rig.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I just had this monitor conversation with a friend who is building a home studio. I told him the same thing Sid said, get the best active monitors you can afford. If you have to wait a few months to save up for a better pair, do it. You will be so unhappy with your mixes if you don't have good monitors. I learned the hard way.

Your monitors make a huge difference. If you have to cut back on something else in your home studio to afford better monitors, do it. You won't be disappointed..
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
1. No, you can choose what treatment to have in either and choices vary. However, for small control rooms the usual protocol is to at least have sound absorption on the walls just in front of the speakers to prevent and some absorption or dispersion on the back wall, and bass traps in the corners. Recording rooms, if you have only one, is probably best treated as live end, dead end.
2.That's why pro interfaces don't have any pre's
3.D5s are still good.
1. room treatment is thought to make the rooms sound good, and you definitely want both rooms to sound good.
The live room 'cause you want to capture the best possible sound from the room, and the control room because you want to hear exactly what you're doing when you're mixing/mastering/editing/adjusting stuff.

2. yes.
A lot of interfaces don't have any pre.
Apogee symphony, motu A16, apollo 16, the big lynx ones, the big antelope ones...

3. yamy HS5, jbl LSR305.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=m%20audio%20bx8&src=m%20audio%20bx8

I love my M-Audio BX8d2s. I listened to the JBL LSR305s and they were loud, but very boomy and colored. The Yamaha's sounded excellent, very natural, but lacked depth; the midbass just kind of disappears at a point. The M-Audio have a very natural sound with plenty of low end, and a very natural rolloff on the low end, without any drastic cut or flatness. I've been in the car audio business for over a decade, which isn't exactly the same, but an ear for good sound works anywhere. They have been replaced by the Carbon series, so the d2s are starting to appear for pretty good deals. I got mine, brand new from GC for $375, which was "BOGO 1/2 off" $250/125.
ESP LTD H-1007 Dlx | MH-301 | EC-1000 Dlx | Viper 300| Epi SG Spec Ed
Ibanez RG7421 | SA160 | Yamaha G-120 Classical (1972) | F-335 | Squier Mini Strat

Marshall DSL40C | Peavey Classic 30 | Boss ME-50

Steinberg UR242 | M-Audio BX8d2/SBX10