Hey GG&A!

I recently received a used 5150 head in the mail. To my dismay, one of the tubes was broken upon arrival. Now normally I would just go ahead and swap out the whole set, but the head has Winged C's in it. I pulled the two outer tubes and have been playing the head at 60 watts with the impedance adjusted accordingly and it sounds phenomenal so I'd really love to be able to keep the tubes it has right now. My questions is, as 5150's are biased pretty cold and I don't really have to worry about a new tube running too hot, will it be okay if I just buy a new single Winged C tube to throw in with the 3 good ones or am I better off selling the remaining 3 as singles and buying a matched quad of less expensive tubes?
Quote by Zero Substance
Hey GG&A!

I recently received a used 5150 head in the mail. To my dismay, one of the tubes was broken upon arrival. Now normally I would just go ahead and swap out the whole set, but the head has Winged C's in it. I pulled the two outer tubes and have been playing the head at 60 watts with the impedance adjusted accordingly and it sounds phenomenal so I'd really love to be able to keep the tubes it has right now. My questions is, as 5150's are biased pretty cold and I don't really have to worry about a new tube running too hot, will it be okay if I just buy a new single Winged C tube to throw in with the 3 good ones or am I better off selling the remaining 3 as singles and buying a matched quad of less expensive tubes?

You can buy a single, but it may not be a great match bias wise. And as you've seen =C= are a bit pricey these days.
www.tubesandmore.com has the best prices in leftover =C= inventory I have found.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here is my .311 cents.

There are 2 trains of thought.

1.) No big deal. Pop a new tube in and off you go.
2.) Don't do it. Only buy a matched quad.

What I would do is get with a reputable dealer of =C= and get one matched as closely as possible to what you have. In order to know for sure, you would need Octel tube socket probe and a multimeter. With that, you could get an average bias reading from your amp using the 3 tubes that you have. Then, give that average to the dealer and have them send you one within that range.

For this, I would personally go to Laura at Valve Queen and tell her your situation. Good gal. She does a lot of testing.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/valvequeen/shop-by-brand/sed-winged-c

#2 up there exists because you ARE taking a bit of risk anytime you throw an unmatched tube into an amp. If it is more than say 5 milliAmps off from its pair it can a.) sound like crap or b.) cause physical damage. I run one of my amps at half power all the time because TBH I don't hear much of difference between 100w and 50w and I'd rather save $$ on tubes

Edit: +1 to what Rob said too, he beat me to it and also provided a reputable dealer. I run =C= EL34s in my Splawn. High quality tubes for sure but getting too rich for my blood.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 13, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Here is my .311 cents.

There are 2 trains of thought.

1.) No big deal. Pop a new tube in and off you go.
2.) Don't do it. Only buy a matched quad.

What I would do is get with a reputable dealer of =C= and get one matched as closely as possible to what you have. In order to know for sure, you would need Octel tube socket probe and a multimeter. With that, you could get an average bias reading from your amp using the 3 tubes that you have. Then, give that average to the dealer and have them send you one within that range.

For this, I would personally go to Laura at Valve Queen and tell her your situation. Good gal. She does a lot of testing.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/valvequeen/shop-by-brand/sed-winged-c

#2 up there exists because you ARE taking a bit of risk anytime you throw an unmatched tube into an amp. If it is more than say 5 milliAps off from its pair it can a.) sound like crap or b.) cause physical damage. I run one of my amps at half power all the time because TBH I don't hear much of difference between 100w and 50w and I'd rather save $$ on tubes

Edit: +1 to what Rob said too, he beat me to it and also provided a reputable dealer. I run =C= EL34s in my Splawn. High quality tubes for sure but getting too rich for my blood.

At least I am not the only one. Haha.

Back on topic, I would go with 311's 1st option. myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/