Hey guys, I just purchased a Fender hot rod Deville that unfortunately has a bad speaker. Instead of replacing the speaker, is there anyway I can take it out and have the amp just use the 3. I understand this can put an extra load on components and possibly damage them.

Is there something I can put in place of the speaker to act as the speaker but essentially does nothing besides act as a dummy speaker?

I will be using this for studio use only so im thinking the absence of one speaker will keep the volume level lower without compromising some tone.......

Any advice?
What impedance speakers are in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What impedance speakers are in it?

10", 8 OHM, 30 WATT to be exact.
Last edited by mathbishop at Jul 13, 2015,
We would also need to know how the cab is wired. Series or Parallel.

I personally would disable the other one for now and just run with 2. You are not going to notice a huge volume difference. If you do that then would set your amp to 16.

Never mind. I'm guessing it is a Series-Parallel Stereo cab. So you have one side running at 8+8=16 and same with the other side. Then, each side is wired together in parallel (16/2=8) for an 8 ohm load total.

To do all 3 you'd have to have one side running at 16 ohms and the other side would be at 8 for some funky resulting output - but it would still work I suppose.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 13, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
We would also need to know how the cab is wired. Series or Parallel.

I personally would disable the other one for now and just run with 2. You are not going to notice a huge volume difference. If you do that then would set your amp to 16.

Never mind. I'm guessing it is a Series-Parallel Stereo cab. So you have one side running at 8+8=16 and same with the other side. Then, each side is wired in parallel (16/2=8) for an 8 ohm load total.

To do all 3 you'd have to have one side running at 16 ohms and the other side would be at 8 for some funky resulting output - but it would still work I suppose.

I dont really care how many speakers im running, as long as it is sounding good. So if 2 is less prone to weird tones I would prefer that.
Yes, just run two of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, just run two of them.

So would that be as simple as just unplugging 2? or will I slowly be breaking something?

This is my first powerful amp so I apologize for my many questions, im taking baby steps.
Wire them up in parallel for 4 ohm or series for 16. Now be aware, you now have a 60W cab so act accordingly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Is it a stereo cab? What input jack options do you have on the back of the cab?

As I recall it is a series/parallel resulting in 8 ohms. That amp will run 4 ohm just fine. It is not a stereo configuration.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
As I recall it is a series/parallel resulting in 8 ohms. That amp will run 4 ohm just fine. It is not a stereo configuration.

any tips on how to go about doing this?
Quote by mathbishop
Hey guys, I just purchased a Fender hot rod Deville that unfortunately has a bad speaker. Instead of replacing the speaker, is there anyway I can take it out and have the amp just use the 3. I understand this can put an extra load on components and possibly damage them.

Is there something I can put in place of the speaker to act as the speaker but essentially does nothing besides act as a dummy speaker?

I will be using this for studio use only so im thinking the absence of one speaker will keep the volume level lower without compromising some tone.......

Any advice?

Yes.
Just disconnect the bad speaker and leave it where it is. If there are four wires on the speaker, leave the wires connected to one another as they are, but remove them from the speaker. If there are only two wires connected to the speaker, keep them separate and just tape them off so that the ends don't touch one another or anything else in the cabinet. When you replace the speaker, you should be able to simply reconnect the wires.

It won't harm the amp

It won't affect the volume in any major way and your "tone" won't be negatively impacted.

The overall load will change a bit.