This is hard to explain but hopefully somebody could help. A couple songs come to mind that use this one effect, sort of noisy, sound that creates a scratchy atmospheric type of sound. I'm not sure how to explain it but it almost sounds like a very distorted severe wind gust...?

An example would be Dinosaur Jr's song "Kracked" where the solo begins. It's a typical Mascis solo but has a lot of layers to it that makes it sound a lot noisier which is the sound I'm looking for. It's obvious he uses a wah but it sounds like there has to be something else behind it?

Another example would be this band called Nothing and their song "Bent Nail." Towards the middle of the song, not sure what minute, there is a break that has a similar sounding effect that Kracked has. It's a whooshing type wah effect with something else behind it making it noisy but very ambient.

Sorry my description sounds so bizarre and silly but I can't explain it any other way haha.
At work, so can't check the songs you're talking about but the description sounds like a Flanger to me.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
At work, so can't check the songs you're talking about but the description sounds like a Flanger to me.

Same, I'm at work and trying to look up different effects with others. If you listen to the D Jr's song you can tell he's tweaking a wah so maybe a flanger behind it?
The solo in Kracked kind of sounds like there's a Fuzz Factory type pedal self oscillating in between the notes he's playing, then there's a wah after it in the chain. I'm not sure about the second one though.
I think you're right on the Dinosaur Jr song; to me, the second one sounds like a flanger that has been combined with fuzz.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by tom.jackson.92
The solo in Kracked kind of sounds like there's a Fuzz Factory type pedal self oscillating in between the notes he's playing, then there's a wah after it in the chain. I'm not sure about the second one though.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think you're right on the Dinosaur Jr song; to me, the second one sounds like a flanger that has been combined with fuzz.

I tried looking up J's gear/rig around that time period but era I couldn't find specifics. Generally he obviously uses several Big Muffs, but I also noticed a memory man, electric mistress flanger (could answer a part of my question), RM wah, and other fuzz pedals.

So maybe the flanger/wah combo as well as multiple tracks could of made that sound?
Sounds like he has a wah behind some distortion pedals. I remember some harsh sounds like that when I was still figuring out my pedal placements with my wah. Not sure if there even is anything with is or not.
Quote by esky15
Sounds like he has a wah behind some distortion pedals. I remember some harsh sounds like that when I was still figuring out my pedal placements with my wah. Not sure if there even is anything with is or not.

Worst thing is I had a really old crybaby that I loved because it was so beaten up and broken in and it would of been great to try and use this approach with a flanger or phaser even. Unfortunately I sold and old car and left the pedal in there somewhere and have no way of getting it back. I might try and pick up a used one to try this out.