Hi All,

I have the JP wiring in my Epi LP but am looking to add a few more options (I know, I know... Why? just don't ask lol)

Can anyone think of any extra options that aren't covered by the JP wiring?

I was thinking of 1 switch per pickup to disregard the vol/tone set up altogether To use like a boost: If you have the vol and tone rolled back you flip the switch to go full bore...

Can anyone think of anything else that can be switched in and out without affecting the JP wiring? and if you can, maybe a little info on what is entailed or how to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Duncan
Thank you please.
Jimmy doesn't utalize any EQ in his guitar besides the standard tone knobs that is a good place to start.

if i remember right it coil splits both pickups , throws them out of phase and i forget exactly what the 4th pot does.. if i remember correctly it puts both pickups in series together so a stronger sound? I can be wrong about this. But some ideas are..

you can cut/boost mids - torres engineering mod
you can cut bass - fender greasebucket mod
half out of phase exists but i've yet to try it
killswitches
you can add a piezo pickup for acoustic tones
parallel (hum cancelling coilsplit) - I know the gibsons go parallel but the seymour duncan diagram doesn't

when i was designing a 3 band EQ for les pauls one constraint I had was that since most people will never drill their guitars even on a les paul you've got some limitations. Say for example if I wanted a 3 band EQ, two volume and maybe a gain preamp added I'd have to drill at least two holes in the guitar or compromise. I could have put a concentric pot into the volume for two volumes and have the ability to turn the EQs up or down. Add a freeway switch (super expensive) or a fender S1 switch perhaps but people would rather the original look and feel of the guitar I suppose.

one guitar i saw years ago was this how insane the guy went on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgG7jOERASg
Quote by deadlydunc
Hi All,

I have the JP wiring in my Epi LP but am looking to add a few more options (I know, I know... Why? just don't ask lol)

Can anyone think of any extra options that aren't covered by the JP wiring?

I was thinking of 1 switch per pickup to disregard the vol/tone set up altogether To use like a boost: If you have the vol and tone rolled back you flip the switch to go full bore...

Can anyone think of anything else that can be switched in and out without affecting the JP wiring? and if you can, maybe a little info on what is entailed or how to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Duncan

I'm not a fan of the JP wiring; it's underwhelming in what you get out of it and confusing to deal with all the push-pulls and ever since I "pulled" and tossed the knob into the audience, I've been less of a fan of push-pulls. the "disregard the vol/tone" switch will not even remotely resemble a boost. It's a sort of a spit in the ocean thing and not worth the switchery.

There are other things that can be done. But you need to undo all that JP wiring crap first.
One, you can take one of the pots and make it a mids rolloff. A "tone" control is nothing more than a treble rolloff, but it doesn't control mids. The '70's L6S from Gibson had, in addition to the treble rolloff, a mids rolloff (fixed frequency, variable amount of cut). In addition, you can make one push-pull a sweepable mids cut (fixed amount of cut, variable frequency) as used by Neal Schon on a lot of his guitars. You can also install a bass rolloff (the L6S *reissue* has a bass rolloff (fixed frequency, variable amount of cut). You can also install a blend knob for when you have "both pickups selected" -- middle position on the pickup selector switch. This gives you a lot more versatility than the dual volumes choice.

When you start adding a battery, the number of things you can do increases dramatically. I have a couple of Carvins that have passive pickups and an active preamp. The quad of controls now becomes a master volume, an active treble boost/cut (15 dB on either side of the "5") , an active bass boost/cut (15 dB, again) and a blend knob. Their system includes three miniswitches; one selects in and out of phase, the other two select humbucker and single coil modes. These could be replaced with Tri-Sound switches (as on an Ibanez AR-300) which would give you serial (standard humbucker mode)/parallel/single coil for each pickup.

Worth a look at the AR500 wiring setup, which includes the Trisound switches, a master volume and active treble, mids and bass EQ controls.

Two of my LPs are set up with a sustainer single-coil-size driver in the neck pickup position, sharing the pickup ring with a DiMarzio Fast Track II single-coil-size humbucker. When used as a sustainer, the sustainer provides the magnetic "feedback" for the strings, and the bridge pickup provides the tone. When the sustainer is off, the Fast Track II becomes the neck pickup. There's a Master Volume and a Master tone (treble rolloff). One of the other pots becomes a sustainer Intensity pot while the fourth is a Chandler Tone-X, an *active* sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB) with a variable frequency (think "parked wah") on a push-pull. And then there are, of course, a pair of miniswitches behind the Floyd that select Sustainer On/Off and Sustainer Harmonic (this is a threeway switch that alllows the sustainer to simply continue the sustained note/ transition the note to a note an octave above the sustained note/transition the note to a "both" condition with both the original and the octave note sustaining).

Carvin has a MIDI setup using piezo saddles and has stacked controls (a much neater setup than the prickly porcupine setup on the guitar in the video above) that allow control of both the magnetic pickups, the piezo pickup (acoustic guitar sound) and the MIDI controls with a 13-pin output available as well as a 1/4" slot.

My Variax guitars have a Master volume, Master tone, a guitar model selection switch, an alternate tuning selection switch and a five-way (part of the guitar model selection process OR offers a variety of options on the magnetics). The piezo saddles power the Variax electronics. You can output the results either via a standard guitar cable or through a Variax VDI cable (what amounts to a "hardened" ethernet cable) into one of several devices that have a Variax input, including an HD500 or a Pod HD Pro rack mount. These allow you to send both magnetic and Variax output while eliminating noise on the magnetics (no need for a guitar cable). The modeled guitars on the Variax allow you to use single coil models (p90's, strat/tele variants) without RF interference, etc., when you play venues with neon signs, ice machines on the same circuit, etc. For recording, you now have strat and tele sound (and P90 sounds) that have no issues with noise. You can also use both magnetics and Variax modeling together if you wish.