I have an Ibanez Prestige 2550 (I think) I got used this year. I love it. The action is super low, right at about 1 credit card or less with all strings open, but no buzzing. Sounds good too.

http://imgur.com/a/lav7p

String tension is way lower than even on my Les Paul with similar gauge strings. Chords are a little mushy, but lead sounds good.

I noticed the knife edges are not perfectly parallel to the body. Should I raise the pegs on the bridge and tighten the springs a little? Tightening the strings without bridge adjustment makes the strings buzz; tried it already.

Using the trem, the tuning is fairly stable but I notice detuning after a few dives. When I tried EB strings I couldn't keep in tune at all though (now with nyxls tuning is stable).

Should I risk adjusting? There are no good luthiers near me so I don't want to risk screwing things up..but if this would make it play even better I will try it.

One more thing: can you let me know if this is an Edge Pro or not?

Thank you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Jul 14, 2015,
yeah that's an edge pro
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I set it up that way on purpose, since I feel it puts more pressure on the springs, thus making bends a little easier. Also, it gives the string a smaller surface for friction, which makes the tuning more stable imo. If you take a look at the way Steve Vai's guitars are set up, you will see the angle being even more extreme than this.

It all depends if the action on the second and twelvth fret is correct. If it is, it's ok to leave it that way. If not, you can either tighten the strings or adjust the screws on the knife edge (but in order to do this, you absolutely have to take off the strings AND springs - otherwise you'll end up ruining the knife edge!)

Hope I could help!
This is not a signature
Thanks guys. So I guess I should remove the trem, loosen the pegs that hold the trem (quarter turn? 1/8 turn?) then put the trem back in and tighten the strings. I've taken this trem off so often recently for installing pickups and minor adjustments. I wish it were simpler
Quote by ErnestoFidel
I set it up that way on purpose, since I feel it puts more pressure on the springs, thus making bends a little easier. Also, it gives the string a smaller surface for friction, which makes the tuning more stable imo.

It's okay to set it up this way if you're not going to be doing pull-ups.
It doesn't put more pressure on the springs, it doesn't make bends easier, it doesn't give the string a smaller surface for friction and it doesn't make the tuning more stable.

It just tilts the back of the trem down.

Easiest way to balance things out is to pull off the back cover, grab a stack of post-it notes, push down on the arm until the plate is horizontal, put just enough thickness of post-its under the tail end of the trem to keep it level, then loosen the springs. Tune the guitar to pitch (loosen the nut first, of course) and then tighten the sPrings just so that the post-it notes pull free without affecting the height of the tail end of the FR. The action may come up a bit. If it does, you'll have to loosen the strings, screw the posts down a touch, then retune.
Quote by dspellman
It doesn't put more pressure on the springs, it doesn't make bends easier, it doesn't give the string a smaller surface for friction and it doesn't make the tuning more stable.

It just tilts the back of the trem down.

My thoughts too (although we are talking tension not pressure). The tension has to be what it has to be to bring the strings up to pitch any more would make them sharp.
Resistance to bends is related to the tension, so no change.
The saddle is curved where the string leaves it. The string will always leave at the tangent (unless the design is flawed) and does not sit on a flat area that can be reduced.

I would have thought that the main affects would be that you can't dive as far down and you would have to get used to palm mutes as the bridge will be sticking out further. You may also have to be careful with pull-ups as you have more range and may break/stretch strings.
If you are fine with that then it is probably down to personal taste.
Last edited by SpiderM at Jul 15, 2015,
Quote by SpiderM

If you are fine with that then it is probably down to personal taste.

if it's broked, don't fix it.
Well I fixed it last night. I did adjust the pegs but they need a little more raising tonight as the action is a hair too low. Didn't notice much difference in tone or playability. Maybe a little stiffer strings.

PS for anyone who does this and searches for this thread in the future, remember you can just pull the springs off from the loop end and take out the trem without removing strings. Just use the whammy bar to reduce spring tension during spring removal
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Jul 15, 2015,