So I'll be getting my first 7 string soon, a cheap Jackson js22-7: http://m.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS22-7-Dinky-DKA-7-String-Electric-Guitar-108925553-i2991564.gc
And right away I was planning on replacing the pickups then setting it up. What are some good priced pickups (preferably SD) that would work good? I was thinking about just getting the sh5 since that's what I have in my les Paul but you guys probably know more than me. In terms of what kind of tone I want I LOVE the tone in this song: Muse - Supremacy (Official Video): https://youtu.be/avM_UsVo0IA
The main riff starts a few seconds in.
Thanks!
save up for a better guitar, I mean even used you're talking 200-300$ including installation for pickups, if you can try the guitar before buying in a shop see if it sounds any good through your existing amp if the shop carries it.

If I remember right Jackson has a pro series 7 string out. If not LTD , Schecter, Agile or anything but a 25.5 scale 7 string ibanez will work fine. I'd go 26.5 or higher for the neck scale length because you really appreciate the low B that way.

my best advice though play the guitar and see what it needs as the sound of each guitar matched down to the string material will sound a bit different I remember Zakk Wylde agreeing with me (I had 3 jackson kelly KE3's to vouch for this). So consult the dimarzio , seymour duncan or bare knuckle pickups EQ charts. Bare knuckles are way more expensive than the other two. I've had the best luck with seymour duncans myself.

how balanced the sound of that is perhaps the Dimarzio Evolutions or Seymour Duncan Black Winters, both are very balanced and you could adjust the rest of the amp for that extra bit of treble if you want. But if the guitars the same in the video (didnt have a good look) it looks like he's using single coils, a bit of phase reversal too maybe for that quack. So either way high output pickups and a push pull are your go to guide.

the dimarzio d-activator set is really nice , the dimarzio X2N in the bridge if it's not hot enough , the tone zone or blaze i've heard good things about too.

i'd avoid actives personally , but the blackouts are pretty nice and you can swap to EMG pickups using the same cables.

seymour duncans still getting into 7 string pickups for everyone who isn't metal , I wish they would make a 7 string jazz or something but i dont see a big enough market for it.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jul 14, 2015,
ha! the first 3 seconds of that riff sounds like an agile right out of the box. then there is the processing and the 10,000 little things that make one player and their gear sound different then another...

300+ bux into a 200 buk guitar, hmmm...or you can get a pair of cepheus alpha and beta pu's for $80 + s&h

pac rim copies of lundgren's finest they are pretty good. they are lively and tight top to bottom and are articulate enough for you to work your palm muting. they are not too versatile though, and can top out if you push them. still they are cheap, and the one sound they have is powerful. i have a revenger 7 that's gonna get a pair of those or some of my handwinds soon -or which ever comes first.

jackson ime is a bit of hit or miss. take 3 of any of their models and none will sound alike. 2 will sound dead and one will either be awesome or only a little better then the other two.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 14, 2015,
Thanks guys! So I guess I won't be getting this guitar then haha. I do have do be in this price range though since my mom is buying it for me. You mentioned Ltd, would their $200 guitar be better than the Jackson? I'll look for a used agile but if I can't find one I have to get a guitar from gc. And I would be doing the work myself so it's really just the cost of pups
hate to always be working the agiles but man ime, their entry level septor crushes anything in your price bracket. unfortunately, an entry level agile septor costs around $319.

imo, the septor's go toe to toe with guitars 2x their price -tone wise that is. their fit and finish could be better, and their color ways are imo kinda lame (reptile green metal flake? ghostburst?) but it's all about that tone.

mow some lawns and price match you mom, or search for used deals on the gc website. imo, your budget is a handicap.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 14, 2015,
When you're talking about such cheap guitars, you really do get what you pay for. When you're talking about a $200 budget, you don't have to spend very much more to get a guitar that's a significant improvement over what you otherwise could only buy with $200.

If you really want to get serious with guitar playing and you're willing to put effort into giving yourself the best chance possible, then do a small job that'll help extend your budget. Otherwise, your very limited budget is going to quite severely hold you back.

I cannot name a single guitar I'd ever buy that costs $200 simply because the amount of work and money you would need to be put into the guitar that cheap, to get it playing and sounding decent (at least to my standards) would be enough that you could've afforded to buy a better guitar to begin with. It's a false economy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 14, 2015,
If you mom is buying it for you then why don't you say you'll kick in however much you were willing to spend on pickups?

Agrees with the above, you're better off just getting a better guitar around $500 than putting $300 of parts in a $200 guitar. Look at Agile if you're in the US, Schecter and Ibanez also have pretty good 7s in that price range.

^A longer scale length will hold a bit more tension with a lower gauge 7 string set than a shorter scale. So if you don't like big strings you should go with a longer scale.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by flissful
I've not heard this before - could you please explain a little more what you mean by this? Just curious.

The longer the scale length the more string tension there is
Oops someone already replied
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll start looking at the agile 7 strings. Since I already have this thread started what string gauges should I use? I use EB skinny top heavy bottoms on my les Paul so what give the same kind of feel on a 7 string? It would be drop A btw
why not buy used instead of new? $200 can get a decent guitar, but if you want great tone, you'll pay more for the pickups than the guitar. it doesn't sound like $500 is in your budget, so perhaps you can find a used guitar for $200 that costs $400 new.

btw, the agiles are great, and so are ibanez guitars for hard metal.

strings and equalization will affect your tone a LOT, and if you have a guitar at all, you might consider an equalizer pedal - some add a lot of big bottom end and dirt.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jul 14, 2015,
Quote by Draco H.
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll start looking at the agile 7 strings. Since I already have this thread started what string gauges should I use? I use EB skinny top heavy bottoms on my les Paul so what give the same kind of feel on a 7 string? It would be drop A btw

For drop A I'd say just got for a custom set and do skinny top heavy bottom (10-52) with a 70 on the bottom for the low A. guitarstringsonline does custom sets of daddarios, should run you like $7-8 a set, and is well worth it. That's what I used when I had a 7.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
For drop A I'd say just got for a custom set and do skinny top heavy bottom (10-52) with a 70 on the bottom for the low A. guitarstringsonline does custom sets of daddarios, should run you like $7-8 a set, and is well worth it. That's what I used when I had a 7.

Thanks I'll check it out!