I'm about to be a senior in high school, and I play guitar. I'm trying to get a band together with some of my friends but I highly doubt it's going to happen. But being in a band is something I am serious about and something I really want to do. So the next step I guess would be starting one in college. Does anyone on here have any advice or tips on how to do this? Anything I should or shouldn't do? I'll appreciate anything. Also, if I want the band to be serious and maybe go somewhere if we somehow manage that, what should we be doing? Thanks for reading and the help, I appreciate it

Also, hopefully I posted this in the right spot
practice, practice ,practice play shows any place that will let you, save money for recording, merch, ect. Make sure the people your with have the same goals, and when people tell you that you did great acknowledge them right away and dont go off about how much you sucked.
Quote by fackyshtyle
practice, practice ,practice play shows any place that will let you, save money for recording, merch, ect. Make sure the people your with have the same goals, and when people tell you that you did great acknowledge them right away and dont go off about how much you sucked.

Thanks for the reply. Practice is obviously the biggest key to success (other than being good). But any idea on how to find people at the college to start it up with? No idea where I'm going yet, but it's probably gonna be in the New England area if that's any help. Thanks again!
Quote by joe783
But any idea on how to find people at the college to start it up with?

The same way you start a band anywhere else. Is that a trick question?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You could try craigslist OR you could let the band find you like it did with me, You'd be surprised by how powerful a random encounter can turn into destiny!
Quote by theogonia777
The same way you start a band anywhere else. Is that a trick question?

I know colleges can be big, so I wasn't sure if some had a place where you could post it like an advertisement. But the ones I am looking at are like 15,000 people, so I guess it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks!
Quote by fackyshtyle
You could try craigslist OR you could let the band find you like it did with me, You'd be surprised by how powerful a random encounter can turn into destiny!

True as well, I hadn't thought of that. Good luck with your band!
Quote by joe783
True as well, I hadn't thought of that. Good luck with your band!

Thanks much n best of luck to you matey
make sure you and the rest of your band aren't like the morons from the last one i joined.

more concerned with planning how the t shirts and wrist bands (i mean, really? wrist bands?) were going to look before we even had one song written.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Assuming you're moving away for uni, go to lots of open mic events and bars where people are performing. Get in the music scene. They should be ok with letting you into their circle if you're at least tolerable to be around.

Also look for any music societies, if there is not one think about setting one up yourself.

This is also kind of old school but even making some flyers and posting them around people's halls on campus could attract some attention with people as keen as yourself.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Go to local shows/open jams and meet people there.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Have fun is the only thing you should do. It's easy to turn into a money-pit, time-wasting thing. Make it enjoyable. That's what views want at a show anyway, right?

It's just like anything else in life; enjoy it, or don't force it upon yourself.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
get an acoustic guitar, start busking and have a sign saying :

"Guitarist looking for other band members. Imagine what this could be!"
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by fackyshtyle

Random encounter? Hehe.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Random encounter? Hehe.

NOT casual encounters unless your very welcoming of stds
Quote by Nero Galon
Assuming you're moving away for uni, go to lots of open mic events and bars where people are performing. Get in the music scene. They should be ok with letting you into their circle if you're at least tolerable to be around.

Also look for any music societies, if there is not one think about setting one up yourself.

This is also kind of old school but even making some flyers and posting them around people's halls on campus could attract some attention with people as keen as yourself.

This is the type of stuff I was actually thinking of doing to find the people haha. I know some schools have like digital paper things they send out to all students that are actually read. I'll see if maybe I can get an ad in there or something. Thanks!
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
Have fun is the only thing you should do. It's easy to turn into a money-pit, time-wasting thing. Make it enjoyable. That's what views want at a show anyway, right?

It's just like anything else in life; enjoy it, or don't force it upon yourself.

Making music is something I love doing, so hopefully it'll be fun Money is just a reward for pleasing the people, and at that stage it's something I understand won't come easy or in big amounts. And I completely agree on making it enjoyable. Who wants to just watch a bunch of dudes on stage? Do something that no one has done yet to make your self stand out. Pink Floyd thought just like that, and just by building a wall on stage they made it one of the best shows to ever see. By the way, Pink Floyd was also formed during their time in college, although the lineup ended up changing a bit Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
Quote by joe783
This is the type of stuff I was actually thinking of doing to find the people haha. I know some schools have like digital paper things they send out to all students that are actually read. I'll see if maybe I can get an ad in there or something. Thanks!

I know my uni has student emails, but usually those are requests for like volunteering work, work placements from third parties, acting roles and extras roles (thats what you get when you're part of the school of media :P)

Also student newspaper. I imagine you could get a free ad in there?

I live in a tiny city so figuring out the places to be isn't hard, try and figure out where the action is where you are. Most likely the bars, and halls on campus.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Nero Galon
I know my uni has student emails, but usually those are requests for like volunteering work, work placements from third parties, acting roles and extras roles (thats what you get when you're part of the school of media :P)

Also student newspaper. I imagine you could get a free ad in there?

I live in a tiny city so figuring out the places to be isn't hard, try and figure out where the action is where you are. Most likely the bars, and halls on campus.

Yeah the student paper/bulletin thing was more of what I was thinking of. And I'm looking at schools near NYC, so I'm not sure if that's good for getting gigs or if it means we will have a lot of competition.
Quote by Pastafarian96
get an acoustic guitar, start busking and have a sign saying :

"Guitarist looking for other band members. Imagine what this could be!"

Replace "Imagine what this could be" with "I'll stop if I get a drummer and bass player!".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Replace "Imagine what this could be" with "I'll stop if I get a drummer and bass player!".

Drummer and bass are the two hardest to find
if your college has a radio station, get involved over there. i was a DJ for a bit over a year and met a ton of musicians (i formed a band with some of the people i met over there). also, the station had a practice room so it was perfect.
Quote by joe783
Drummer and bass are the two hardest to find

That's why you pitch up somewhere busy. Other people will find them for you to make you stop.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'