Epiphone ES-335 Pro w/block inlays - Cherry finish $350

Anyone own/played one? Apparently they're only in GuitarCenters. Looks nice. Price looks even better.

Been wanting to get one for awhile now. What do y'all think? Any better alternatives around that price range?

Also how do y'all feel about the ES-339?
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
I have 335s. Old '67 models. A Gibson ES-335-12 was my first-ever guitar and it's been around the world at least two and a half times and it's still going strong (the case has rotted away, however). Nylon bridge saddles (that'll date 'em!).

I can't speak for the Epi 335 Pro, but it's a pretty cheap price for a 335-style guitar. If it's important that it look exactly like a 335, then go for it, but plan on dealing with the possibility of leveling the frets, etc. If it were me and I were hunting that kind of guitar in that price range, I'd probably tack on the cost of a PLEK job and a fret superglue (~$200 or so) with a good setup just in case. OR I'd consider the Agile AS820 ($379), the Agile AS1000 ($449) or the Ibanez AS93 ($549 and up). All three are significantly better quality guitars.

The ES-339 was Gibson's copy of the Japanese-built Ibanez AM205, an early '80's "shrunken" 335 body. My '83 AM205, however, came with an ebony fretboard, real MOP/Abalone inlays and a burl mahogany front and back as well as outstanding pickups. The Epi version is a copy of Gibsons version of that Ibanez. While these are semi-hollow guitars, these actually end up sounding more like a chambered Les Paul than a 335. Not sure why that is, but they do. Compared to the Epiphone ES-339 (remember, a smaller body than the 335), the Agile AS2000s (around $449) and the current Ibanez AM205 Japanese-built Prestige Artstar (about $2300) are both better guitars. The Agiles don't directly mimic the 335 (their "ears" have been cropped a bit), but I'd definitely order one of those before I picked up the Epiphone $350 models. YMMV.
Try one in person. Epi’s “Pro” models play well and sound good but they cut a lot of corners. The pickups tend to be a little microphonic, the inlays are usually plastic with a ring of wood filler, and sometimes the fretboard is a strip of cheap lumber with rosewood veneers. They’re nice for cheap guitars, but they’re still cheap guitars.
Quote by jpnyc at #33501521
sometimes the fretboard is a strip of cheap lumber with rosewood veneers.

I'd love to see pictures of this actually being the case.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I guess worst case scenario I could just return it. Kind of iffy about getting one shipped to me. doesn't even come with a gig bag.

Think if i got one shipped to me and the neck was broken or something it would be returnable?
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd love to see pictures of this actually being the case.

+1
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by jpnyc
Try one in person. Epi’s “Pro” models play well and sound good but they cut a lot of corners. The pickups tend to be a little microphonic, the inlays are usually plastic with a ring of wood filler, and sometimes the fretboard is a strip of cheap lumber with rosewood veneers. They’re nice for cheap guitars, but they’re still cheap guitars.

Talking out of your ass I see
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They are fine instruments, and I too am contemplating such a purchase. I believe zzounds and American Musical Supply sell them, but only have the "iced tea burst" finish though.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I've played that guitar you speak of but I'm not a fan of the P90 plus pickups. Actually this was for my son who didn't like the P90's either.

He bought a Epi 339 ES Pelham Blue with Alnico pickups which sounds awesome and single coil option.
just purchased the the ES 335 Pro in cherry. comes with buckers. hopefully the mail man doesn't funk it up. haha

dont understand how the dot it $50 more than the block inlay version. guess they are really trying to move the limited edition stuff.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Not the 335 Dot Pro, but...I have a Dot Studio that I swooped up from craigslist about 3 years ago for $225 with an Ibanez hardshell case, it's a 2009 with the worn cherry finish. I modded it with a Guitar Fetish X-Trem long body wangbar and a Wilkenson roller bridge, both in gloss black finish. It has become my #1, my rock and roll machine, my go to axe when I need that full on, huge "in yo face", massive mahogany bodied, powered by badass h-bucker tone! I highly recommend any and all Epiphone semi-hollows, you just can't beat their tone and playability for the price!

(Invalid img)

I got that shimmer in the otherwise flat worn cherry finish by cleaning it up with Scott's Liquid Gold...mmmmmmm, sexy!
I'm so NOT a fan of the flat/matte finishes on guitars. I've got enough old guitars that I know that vintage doesn't look (worn) like that, and I think the only things that look badass with a matte finish are the combat planes that need it, and that ARE badass. That and a few knives and guns I own that really have a reason to have a matte finish.
Quote by jon_six
dont understand how the dot it $50 more than the block inlay version. guess they are really trying to move the limited edition stuff.

They probably are trying to unload those guitars. Plenty of guitar shops have limited run Epi guitars from 2012, 2013, and 2014 collecting dust on the shelves. I’m not sure why—they’re far from perfect, but they were still a good deal at the original street prices.
The AS93 is bigger than the AM93, right? PUs are the same? No coil split as far as I can tell but I guess that's a relatively easy mod...

I'm looking for a good quality semi-hollow. I initially wanted an ES-335 pro, but they are no longer available. I did try one once and really liked it. Are the Ibanez really much better quality?

Quote by dspellman
I can't speak for the Epi 335 Pro, but it's a pretty cheap price for a 335-style guitar. If it's important that it look exactly like a 335, then go for it, but plan on dealing with the possibility of leveling the frets, etc. If it were me and I were hunting that kind of guitar in that price range, I'd probably tack on the cost of a PLEK job and a fret superglue (~$200 or so) with a good setup just in case. OR I'd consider the Agile AS820 ($379), the Agile AS1000 ($449) or the Ibanez AS93 ($549 and up). All three are significantly better quality guitars.
The AS series are the full-size, the AM series are the smaller versions.

My AM205 (mahogany burl top and back) is 30+ years old, from the early '80's, and it's better quality than anything comparable from Gibson. Manufacturers have changed, of course, as has pricing, but the few that I've seen recently look pretty good. The 205, however, was the top of that particular line, and would be more comparable to a Gibson 355 than a 335.
Sorry for the late response as I'm new to this Forum.

Basically the Epiphone ES-335 is an upgrade of the Dot but for the SAME money. It has better pickups which are coil-splittable, better finishes (love my iced-tea) and nicer inlays (blocks).

Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

Amazing guitars!