I'm traveling soon and I want a very small guitar that I can take with me with ease.

I'm thinking about Yamaha GL1, Gretsch G9126, Martin Classical Backpacker, Taylor Baby, Traveler AG-105, Yamaha JR1...

The most I'm willing to pay is $300, if it's a really nice little guitar.

Any others you recommend?

Thank you!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Jul 15, 2015,
I have the GL1, and I play it a lot. It's my "easy chair" instrument. I put a set of D'Addario pro-arte strings on it and the sound is quite decent for a plywood guitar. (well...6-string tenor uke...)

I actually practice my fingerstyle jazz stuff on the little guy.....Work out melodies and such.

I looked at the new Cordoba "guilele" model...Solid top and all, but it has a full-sized classical fretboard which was too wide for me.

I also have a Cordoba "Cadete" 3/4-size classical, quite nice but likely too big for what you want.
the yamaha jr1 natively has a thin tone, but i found that certain strings really helped that (martin silk & steels fattened it up a bit). i run into a fair amount of poorly intonated ones, but you can always exchange for another one. their big advantages are that they're small and light and inexpensive. the biggest disadvantage to some is that the strings are looser due to the 21.25" scale length. me, i liked that about it.

i prefer the little martin to the baby taylor. i just like the voice better, and the little martin has more bass than a lot of other mini dreads. plus it's got a smaller lower bout than the baby taylor, which is handy if you're traveling.

i have a guitalele (that's the GL1), and it sounds very ukulele-ish to me. fun to play, though, and the slightly wider nut makes it comfy for fingers. also needs to be tuned up a bit due to short scale length. i liked the original cordoba guilele i played a few years ago better, slightly better tone and nicer hardware, but not sure it's worth the upgraded price if you're on a budget.

cordoba makes a cadete sized steel string model called the la playa steel
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/la-playa-travel-steel

and if you'll only be playing softly to yourself, you can't beat the washburn rover - if you don't mind the U shaped neck. sounds crappy played loud but with the right strings it sounds sweet played soft. very travel friendly, sounds better than the martin backpacker.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thank you for your input.

The idea of bringing a guitar to travel with me is because I like playing with/for other people and I don't want my playing to get rusted. Those Cordoba look like very nice guitars for the price. Maybe I would go with the Guilele...

I'd really like something that I can put in my backpack. I do not need like awesome great tone, but something very practical that can get the job done.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
I'm traveling soon and I want a very small guitar that I can take with me with ease.

The most I'm willing to pay is $300, if it's a really nice little guitar.

Any others you recommend?

Shop hard for a Martin LX1E. I love mine, and take it with me every day (I'm self employed and on the road most of the day). Sounds good acoustic, and I have a Bose Soundlink speaker that I plug it into (Aux) when I want a full rich tone and more volume.

It's also my armchair, couch sitting, practice guitar. I've found that the shorter scale actually helps with my accuracy when I pick up one of the full size guitars.

Good luck in you search, hope this little bit of info helps.
It appears that I just can't post yet a new thread yet... Anyways, I am hoping that someone on this thread can provide me with some insight on the GL1. I am thinking about purchasing one and I am aware that the chords are different i.e "E and A", but when it comes to music and the sheet is tuned for acoustic guitar (meaning the Details In The Fabric by Jason mraz) . So, when I look at G/B and try to find the chord on a Guilatele it does not come up as a similar chord. So, my question is do I just play the song just as a standard guitar or do I have to find the chord that would be similar?