Page 1 of 2
Hello dudes and lady dudes,

I have encountered some hardship over the last months and in the course of these events I made the decision to make myself a better person instead of giving in to depression.

Now the thing is I'm doing ok but, sometimes I lose sense of direction or it's hard to keep motivation. One thing I do at these moments is to seek other people's wisdom.
Compare notes, open myself up to different perspectives.

Mostly I'll read a philosophical book by some savvy dude or watch one of them youtube life gurus, The thing is: it's not always easy to filter out the legit genuine people that want to spread wisdom and help people from the morons that don't know shit and are in for a quick buck.

So I was wondering who do you guys admire as a "life teacher"? any youtube channels or books you would like to recommend me?
two books that have helped me a lot: How to Enjoy Your Life and Your Job, and Awaken the Giant Within. I can't read these cover to cover, but I read a couple of pages of each every Sunday morning and try and implement whatever I learn from it during the week. If something isn't applicable for my situation (for instance, I don't own a business where I have to be in charge of others) I try and use the underlying principles in my own life. I think this has made me a better person.
cat
One of my books that taught me a lot about perseverance was Eric Clapton's autobiography.

In it he talks about his life from early days of not knowing his father, his days of sleeping around and ****ing up all his personal relationships, and his struggles with raging addictions. It's one of the most brutally honest books I've ever read, and it's a great read to show that; A) THere is a light at the end of the tunnel and B) Motivation, and how to get yourself in a mindset that will help you.

To be honest though, a book or a video isn't going to be the thing to send you on the right path in the long run, that stuff comes from within. In any event, I would suggest heading to your local library and reading a few self help or similar type books. You'll soon learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff, and take away lessons from each of them.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
One of the problems with so many of these 'life gurus' is that not all of what they say may be applicable to you. I think if you want some actual advice from people, you need to ask them personally in the context of your own situation.

I think you can just tell who the people are that genuinely want to help people and those who are in it for a quick buck by what sort of language they use, how they articulate their advice and what advice they actually give. I like to assume that the majority of people who try and give advice about certain situations are well intentioned though.

There's no one person I go to if I'm seeking advice or help. I like to get lots of people's points of view and make up my own mind on who I think has advice that best suits my problems. But know that you have to put these changes into action yourself. No book or video is going to put them in action for you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 15, 2015,
I can recommend reading 'Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman' by Richard Feynman. Not so much a book containing life advice, as much as it is a story about someone who enjoyed life and learning.

In general I tend to ignore all life advice that comes in the form of a snappy proverb or witty remark. Instead I prefer just reading about/listening to other people's experiences and reflecting on my own. Basically I try to learn something new everyday - that could be some random facts, a new way of doing something or simply finding something new to enjoy.
I mean personally for me? **** motivation. it's a bullshit label for arbitrary fleeting moments that someone made up to make money. train yourself to work, apply yourself every day. I told myself to go to class because you have to, go to work because you have to - it's my ****ing job. meet people you love, talk to them about how you feel about shit, and work up a routine.

I've been on a downslope for the last few months but I feel like I'm on my way back up because I forced myself to be myself and stuff

I also like comedy to occupy my mind if I feel lonely. Laughter always feels good

I dunno
Read up on Buddhism, and I'm not even joking. You don't even have to adopt any of the principles, but it gave me a good perspective on things when I was in a similar position.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'll be blunt, one of the first things you might want to do is get away from the computer. Think about the way you want to be better, because life won't give you a level up screen, or show you a skill tree to pick stuff from.

Think about people you admire as good people; about why you think that about them. Consider what they did, how it got them into the position they're in that makes you feel that way, and what you can learn from it. How you can apply it, or adapt it, for yourself.

Life improvement doesn't some from a heavily filtered photo of a beach with a soundbite on it. You bring it out of yourself, with (at least proverbial) blood, sweat and tears - possibly snotters, too.

Quality teaching is one thing. But quality LEARNING - which you can only do yourself - is what is really important.
^Good post

Another good thing to remember about life is that we're all just making it up as we go along. It's good to find a purpose for yourself and whatnot, but sometimes you should just sit down on the grass, stare at some ants for an hour and enjoy the breeze on your face.
This YT channel is actually great, not that it tells you a lot, but it introduces you to concepts that can help. I've learnt a lot about Sartre and Kierkegaard for instance, as well as Lao Tzu.

https://www.youtube.com/user/schooloflifechannel/about

However, do take slapsy's advice as well. Merely get to know of the concept you look for, then seek the knowledge to understand it.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Do you do that while steam-cleaning your vag, or after?

During, obviously
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
here are things

if possible, I would reccomend seeing a therapist. Vocalising some problems to a qualified listener is not necessarily englightening, but it helps you get to the base of some of the problems

also, a therapist would likely know of literature that would help you, specifically. Instead of buying five books and after two months only one gave some advice, therapist will help find books for you.

And yes, computer dominance is no good. My deepest depression was when I was literally on the computer as much as possible. Now that I've come out of it, I take my dog out first thing in the morning (really helps with daily energy and attitude). I also have other 'things' to help structure my time. I end up practicing piano two hours a day, and I've always got a jigsaw puzzle that I usually spend two hours on as well. So while there is computer time, it's not all I'm doing. It's a really good feeling actually. variety helps your brain or something idk

but yeah, therapist.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Watch the movie, or read the book 'The Secret' or research on 'Law of attraction'
quite inspired me
"On a microscopic level, these tiny, sharp particles move through your system, attracting everything from bacteria, fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticide and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals."

\m/\m/
Well, one thing that helps is to remember that what you say can affect how you act towards certain things. For instance, if you say, "I'm going to fail that test!"...well, now you're much more likely to fail. You walked into that test already thinking you would fail. On the other hand, if you study hard for said test and learn the material (and ask the professor specific questions about it), then say, "I'm going to do my very best on that test!"...well, now you're much more likely to do well.
You won't find wisdom here, you're looking in the wrong place.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
SlackerBabbath was my life coach for awhile but now he's gone
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Some good advice has been given here but something important is very often overlooked. Try not to overthink everything, just let loose and have some fun.
Sometimes you really do just have to say f**k it and go with the moment, for the good of your mental health.
Quote by Harvey Swick
SlackerBabbath was my life coach for awhile but now he's gone

I know he was old, but I didn't think he was that old.
"you win some and you lose some but you live, you live to fight again"- craigs dad from friday the movie.

Nothing changes unless you change it - something morgan freeman said.

yeah I'd say just be like morgan freeman
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I know he was old, but I didn't think he was that old.

He was just a cool dude and helped me out on occasion. It was cool.

OT: I have struggled with anxiety and depression most of my adult life and have come to slowly realize that no amount of anxiety about the future or regret about your past is going to change anything. Better to just try your best every day and make it count. Every new day is another chance to turn it all around and all that. Thinking like this is how I managed to make it this far in life without succumbing to the apathy.

Quote by Harvey Swick
He was just a cool dude and helped me out on occasion. It was cool.

OT: I have struggled with anxiety and depression most of my adult life and have come to slowly realize that no amount of anxiety about the future or regret about your past is going to change anything. Better to just try your best every day and make it count. Every new day is another chance to turn it all around and all that. Thinking like this is how I managed to make it this far in life without succumbing to the apathy.

Well, yea, he seemed like a good guy. It's just that I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by 'he's gone' - like did he pop his clogs, or get banned or quit?
IDK I never see Slacker posting anymore and I don't think he has been active for awhile. I was gone for about a year and came back recently and all the traffic was really low here and most of the users I had gotten to know were gone. Its a shame, really.

It's liek 5am and I shud be asleep right now, but eh

heres some words of dumbassery that I made up when encouraging a friend about a test.

expect to fail, and you will fail,
expect to pass, and you will fail,
fail to expect, and you will never be tested"

any amount of BS sounds good, but generally I think hope is the thing that has kept me sane, so do that.
^You should expect to know what's on the exam before going in, at the least

After a full study and some light zen practice before taking it does wonders, though. Everything you studied for is in that brain somewhere, just have to let it come to you and not force it
Slacker is fine btw he is old, but not that old. he's focusing more on painting and things like that
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Slacker is fine btw he is old, but not that old. he's focusing more on painting and things like that

Well, the world does need a new Bob Ross.
Quote by Fat Lard
^You should expect to know what's on the exam before going in, at the least

That's a major part of it, yes...
Check out Alan Watts, and then read stuff by wandering monks. Below is an example of his work. Excuse the shitty background music. He is often thought of as an individual capable of achieving nirvana, who did not due to excessive care for worldly matters, people, etc.

Books I would recommend (some may be hard to obtain) are...

-Kenko - Essays In Idleness
-Tolstoy - How Much Land Does A Man Need?
-Paul Hegarty - Noise/Music
-Percy C Buck - Psychology For Musicians
-the poetry of C.P. Cavafy (poetry centred around memory and sex, love and lust)
-Richard Nickel - Chicago: Photographs of a... (discusses his one-man fight against the destruction of significant architectural landmarks, his artistic tendencies, and his passion)
-Roland Barthes - Camera Lucida (ostensibly about photography, but is actually about philosophical exploration and an attempt to 'discover' his late mother in photographs - to understand how and where someone's true essence might be captured in photography)

None of these are gurus. They simply present ideas, beliefs, and practices which I have taken elements from, and have built upon. They may help you.

general life improvement + 'knowledge' stuffs (I have no idea why I'm preaching my life is a wreck lmao BUT)... know your politics. Know the history and learn your terms. Whether you're a hardcore individualist or a communist, know the arguments and pros/cons of each movement, and where they relate to each other. // Learn about art. Learn about the history, the ideas. If you find yourself rejecting a movement or major artwork, read up on it, and study it. Understand its ideas and you may find new love in it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 15, 2015,
You gotta live like you were the only person alive. If you can't cope with this you're gonna live a life of crutches.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers at #33503253
You gotta live like you were the only person alive. If you can't cope with this you're gonna live a life of crutches.

Living like I'm the only person alive seems like an unbearably lonely existence.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Living like I'm the only person alive seems like an unbearably lonely existence.

Well, I already wank a lot, so i must be a least half way there.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I imagine it'd be wonderfully liberating for a solipsist.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
solipsists

I'm a tad bit Beauvoir when it comes to em. Though I suppose some of their ideas and concepts can be applied to one's life with a larger outlook and some empathy
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 15, 2015,
Page 1 of 2