Despite being a member for almost 9 years, and playing and owning a respectable amount of gear in my 13 years of playing guitar, I've never actually done a NAD post.

But I'm excited and I don't care.

Behold!

Say hello to my new gigging rig. I've had a lengthy break from playing guitar in bands, due to studying music at university on the tuba, so now I've graduated, I want to get back into playing music I want to play.

Guitar is my trusty MiM Telecaster, featuring a Tonerider p90 in the neck and Seymour Duncan Lil'59 in the bridge. Completely upgraded electronics courtesy of MOR Music in York, UK. My most expensive piece of gear, based on upgrades (£400 new, and about £180 in electronic changes) but my favourite guitar ever. Many have come and gone, but none have replaced this. D Standard all the way, D'Addario 11 to 56 gauge. Black Jazz III XLs only.

Now for the budget part. Jet City JCA50H, second hand from Gumtree at £170 and Marshall 8412 cab at £40. So for under £700, I have an incredible gigging rig, that covers any genre that I wish to play very comfortably indeed.

Perhaps not up there with the deals of legend on this forum (lets see who's ancient enough to remember Fitzy and his $200 Warwick Vampyre LTD!!), but as a poor graduate, I'm very thankful that I could sell some gear I didn't really need and bought an entire gigging setup that will ultimately bring me a lot more happiness and fulfilment.

Onto how it sounds - almost bang on perfect. I see what Jet City owners mean, with a little bit of fizz on the top end of the overdrive channel, but plugging my MXR 10 band into the loop and tuning out some of the 16khz goes a long way to making it inch perfect for nailing that punchy, Four Year Strong type tone that I've been GAS-ing for, for what seems like forever.

The cab is cheaply made and the speakers while not horrible, are not up to the standard of the v30s in my old Orange 2x12 or my friends 1960A, but they serve a purpose and for now, it is more than adequate. In time, the beat up old Marshall will be sold, and replaced with a nice 2x12 (Orange, Mesa, Zilla - whatever comes along), but I'm enjoying the present instead of worrying about the future.

In short, I know the shortcomings of my rig (namely the cab) but it makes me incredibly happy. And fundamentally, that's why we do it, right?

So there we have it, my very first NAD! No clips unfortunately, but watch this space! I may start a Youtube channel in the near future, and when the band fully comes together, you guys will be the first to hear about it!

Thanks for all your help, GG&A!

Bryn
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Now for the budget part. Jet City JCA50H, second hand from Gumtree at £170 and Marshall 8412 cab at £40. So for under £700, I have an incredible gigging rig, that covers any genre that I wish to play very comfortably indeed.
Wow, nice score! HNAD. c: I think the speakers in the cab are G12L-35's.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 15, 2015,
Quote by flexiblemile
nice gear!

Is there a big difference in volume between the p90 and the mini humbucker?

Nope, not really. The output levels aren't worlds apart, and the technician who installed both set the heights to make them closer in volume.

IIRC, Dan from Four Year Strong uses a SD Antiquity p90 in the neck of his Blacktop tele, and a JB in the bridge, and they seem to match up quite nicely.
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNAD!

IF you wanna simplify things a little I find the treble and presence knobs work together pretty well to eliminate the high end fizz. Treble lower, with the presence just high enough to let enough of the high end through. Works well

Enjoy man. They're great amps at home or for gigging. Those master volumes have a nice sweep to them.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
HNAD!!

^ Agreed.

My JCA50H sounds fantastic with my mesa 212, and even better through the orange 412 . I've got greenbacks in the mesa right now (for my EVH), and they sound great as well.

I've had that amp on a lot of cabs tho, and it always seems to sound pretty darn good, despite how shitty the speakers may be.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by monwobobbo
interesting pickup combo on that tele.

+1

Quote by red.guitar

I've had that amp on a lot of cabs tho, and it always seems to sound pretty darn good, despite how shitty the speakers may be.

Funnily enough I thought mine was quite picky with speakers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Funnily enough I thought mine was quite picky with speakers

I've got the Mesa 212 with GB's (at the moment), the Orange 412 with V30's, and a Laney 412 that had 70/80's, but I've now got the 2 v30's from the mesa with 2 C-rex in it. I've also tired it with Eminence Legend's and a few other random cabs, that I had no idea what they were equipped with.

I mean it sounds much much better when its paired with v30's, GB's or legends, but I've still gotten great tones, with a little tweeking on any cab I've paired it with.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jul 16, 2015,
yeah. i don't know if i'd say it sounded bad with any of the speakers i tried it with, but with a lot of them there was something slightly annoying about the sound that, once I noticed it, was hard to ignore. it did sound good with v12s, v30s and heritage55Hz g12h30s IIRC.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Rock on! Happy NAD day!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge