I've played guitar quite a few years now in bands but now its time to buy my own gear for rehearsals and gigs, even for bigger gigs. I'm quite newb with guitar gear though...

I'm in quite tight budget, I've been thinking of buying:

Head:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/randall_rg_1503_head.htm

Cab:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/harley_benton_g412s_gitarrenbox.htm

Would this pair of gear do well for getting huge volume and distortion, essential for playing black metal? More importantly volume, because distortion can be added with pedals, volume requires power from the amp(?) Sound wouldn't need to be that fancy, just high enough volume to even bigger gigs.

I've understood the head is 4 ohms which means it can be plugged to any cabinet? Thinking this because many gig places have their own cabinets.

Reason I'd wanna buy from thomann is that the local shops have mad prices, cheapest gear is like twice more expensive than those. Also, I don't wanna buy used ones from people because I want stuff to have warranty, and that gear would have 3 year warranty.

All you gear experts out there, do you think this gear would do great for playing black metal and all sorts of others oldskool metal?
Last edited by Clockworkart at Jul 15, 2015,
The HB cab sounds like a good purchase. The RG amp is solid state and sounds like a can of raging bees, which considering what you want might not be a bad thing. I would look for a tube amp instead though, hate to suggest this but maybe Bugera XXL or Jet City, like the 50 or 100 watt heads:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/jet_city_amplification_putkinupit.html

Thanks to Pantera Randall solid state is sought after but it has been years ago and personally, I think the new heads are not so good. You might need an overdrive for the JCA if you want to get say CoF or Demon Burger sound, Boss Metalzone for the old school sound like Burzum and the guys that ate the brains of his vocalist had (forget band).
It's the oldschool sound I want, no need for tight sounding palm mutes like Dimmu for example has. The band you thought ate brains is Mayhem But he didn't eat his vocalist's brains, he just took pieces of skull and sent em as tribute to his idol bands!

Anyhow, I've understood that distortion sound may be fine tuned more over with pedals, like you mentioned, a Boss pedal? Isn't in that case the only priority for head to have as much power as possible?
The RG will be fine for that. I'd use the third channel.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Nah, get the HB one. You wouldn't lose a lot of power with the 8 ohm cab.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
The Randall head and HB cab are arriving at any day now, before I start using them, I'd really want to make sure whether it is correct to use mono or stereo input with the head? I will be obviously using stereo cable not instrument cable to connect, so nothing will break because of that! But mono or stereo???
Quote by Clockworkart
The Randall head and HB cab are arriving at any day now, before I start using them, I'd really want to make sure whether it is correct to use mono or stereo input with the head? I will be obviously using stereo cable not instrument cable to connect, so nothing will break because of that! But mono or stereo???

Mono, unless you've got dual outputs on the amp and dual inputs on the cab. (And even if you do, it's just a waste of cable...)

I hope it does what you want.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The gear is working nicely, I am not even using half of the power from randall and the amount of volume it produces kinda kills ears even if they are plugged. Huge plus for that!

Couple of rehearsals now done and only thing I kind of miss is distortion like was expected. I play quite a few leads in our band as I'm mainly the lead guitarist and the other one is rhythm guitarist. Wondering if I should invest in BOSS ME-25 Guitar Multiple Effects pedal? Would it increase also the amount of distortion notably? I know BOSS MT-2 would produce more distortion but that would be all it does. It wouldn't hurt to get all the effects in use as well