Well its been one hell of a long time since i've actually posted anything on this forum, I used to be on here everyday but work and everything just gets in the way right??

Anyways, let me get to the point. I am in search of a new amp, my current Dual Rectifier is getting benched as its a bit old and beaten from gigging and all that. I'm not massively up on the latest and greatest amps, guitars Im still in the loop on but amps i really don't know whats out there these days so any help if much appreciated. I would however like to get something a bit different to my Mesa, theyre great amps but I fancy a change.

Needless to say here are the parameters I have:

- Im in the UK, so custom ordering some handmade thing from the USA isn't really feasible. I like to play anything I'm thinking of purchasing before making a decision on it.

- Budget is up to £3000, but not need to spend it all of course as I may grab a couple pedals also.

- At least 2 channels and an FX loop. In terms of what those channels do, I like cleans but most of the time I run them a least slightly crunchy so we dont need uber uber cleans. Gain wise I'd like to be able to get everything from higher gain classic rock to full blown metal.

Should also mention that I am NOT a fan of the Marshall JVM series, I always find them extremely bright and harsh no matter how much i EQ them.

Unsure if what guitars I have are relevant but might as well list them:

Mayones Regius 7 - Black Korina body, 7 piece neck, Bareknuckle Nailbombs
Suhr Andy Wood Sig - Mahogany body, mahogany neck, Suhr DSV and DSH pickups
Tom Anderson Drop Top - Alder body, maple neck, HSS config

So hit me up with the latest and greatest options that would work for me lads, cheers in advance and hopefully I'll be around here more often now

Ed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jul 16, 2015,
Kinda sounds you wanna achieve are a bit generic, you may wanna elaborate on the exact sounds you want to get, so give us some songs/albums/bands as a reference.

I'd get an ENGL artist edition or an ENGL invader 2.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Kinda sounds you wanna achieve are a bit generic, you may wanna elaborate on the exact sounds you want to get, so give us some songs/albums/bands as a reference.

I'd get an ENGL artist edition or an ENGL invader 2.

Sounds I usually go for are along the lines of Blackwater Park era opeth, Lamb of God, Steve Vai, *generic 80s hair metal*. For the cleaner stuff i'm a big fan of Andy Timmons and that classic slightly snarled british crunch
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.

Good to see you again.

I'm with you on the JVM. Not my thing. It does check the boxes though on paper

I'd be more inclined to look at the ENGL stuff too. Blackmore. SE.

The Laney's would be a good look too. VR100. Ironheart.

I think an Orange Rockerverb would be pretty sweet as well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Good to see you again.

I'm with you on the JVM. Not my thing. It does check the boxes though on paper

I'd be more inclined to look at the ENGL stuff too. Blackmore. SE.

The Laney's would be a good look too. VR100. Ironheart.

I think an Orange Rockerverb would be pretty sweet as well.

Howdy again dude

Yeah like you say, the JVM should do it all but every time I play one its just so shrill.... and with the guitars I use you wouldnt think that was possible!!

Do Laney still make the VR100?? I know thats essentially what Opeth used to use back in the day so right up my kind of street. Will put those others on the list too, the ENGL SE i remember being fairly insane when i tried one 6 years ago, has it changed at all since then??

Right now I'm also looking at the possibility of either a Bogner XTC or Friedman Browneye. Was also interested in the Uberschall, but apparently theyre kinda a one trick pony?? If anyone has the knowhow about those it would be muchly appreciated
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Last edited by shredftw at Jul 16, 2015,
Quote by shredftw
the ENGL SE i remember being fairly insane when i tried one 6 years ago, has it changed at all since then??
It's still the same amp, one version with 6L6's and one with EL34's.

Recently tho ENGL came up with the invader 2, which is the most versatile amp I've seen around.
Also considering all those switches in the back it must be a pain in the ass to dial in.

I seriously don't know why you would want something different from a mesa, 'cause you sound exactly like somebody who needs a road king II if ya ask me
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Check out an Engl Retro Tube 100. I don't know why they called it "Retro" because it's a hell of a lot more than that. Definitely one of my dream amps. It has excellent cleans, but also does that "edge of breakup" all the way to nice crunch on that channel. The lead channel easily does old Opeth levels of gain and even more brutal death metal sounds if you need it. The one I played didn't even seem to need a boost to be tight enough and "grindy" enough for extreme metal. Basically, it has all the tones you could ever need...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by shredftw
Howdy again dude

Yeah like you say, the JVM should do it all but every time I play one its just so shrill.... and with the guitars I use you wouldnt think that was possible!!

Do Laney still make the VR100?? I know thats essentially what Opeth used to use back in the day so right up my kind of street. Will put those others on the list too, the ENGL SE i remember being fairly insane when i tried one 6 years ago, has it changed at all since then??

Right now I'm also looking at the possibility of either a Bogner XTC or Friedman Browneye. Was also interested in the Uberschall, but apparently theyre kinda a one trick pony?? If anyone has the knowhow about those it would be muchly appreciated

I've played the JVMs 5 or 6 times now and can get some neat crunchy tones on the green or orange but for high gain metal it blows IMO. Mark G just got one not too long ago and he thinks we are smoking crack because he gets great tones out of his and he is pretty particular.

I believe the VR100 would used only - never seen a new one. Can't really speak to that.

I was strictly thinking of amps on your side of the pond but now I see your are looking at other US stuff too. Would you be trying to buy new - or is used OK?

The VHT Pittbull UL is pretty wicked but super dry. Dryer than my Splawn. Splawn of course is my other obligitory suggestion. Also, to catch you up - I got a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and it is pretty awesome. Great unit for $300 used.

Cathbard will undoubtedly recommend a Randall RM100 with Salvation modded modules blah bla blah.

Another idea would be to get some NOS preamp tubes for your Recto and pop in some EL34s as well. I got a Rectoverb recently and really really like it.
i am going to second the rockerverb. simple, and straight forward, and has a nice ring. i personally like the MKI 50watt the most. the MKI 50 has 6V6's in instead of the others having EL34's, i don't know why, but i like it more.

i am also going to say to look into a fryette sig:x. sometimes it doesn't get a lot of love, but it covers a pretty solid range of different tones. three channels, tones of knobs and switches. i have had one for quite a while now.

FWIW i don't like the JVM's at all either. shrill yuckyness.

i haven't played the 50, but maybe the EVH5153 would do you well.

just spouting ideas.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
RM100's seem to be overpriced in England, 311.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bogner Ecstasy 101B for sure, a 20th anniversary if you're lucky. The Shiva will be very nice, too.

Check out the Diezel Einstein, very nice for what you want.

The Mesa Royal Atlantic 100 will serve you well but don't discount the Stiletto Trident. Both are very nicely-priced.

I'd pass on the Fryettes (UL, CLX, and Sig:X) and as 311 mentioned, they're quite dry. You'll love them with your 7s though.
Cheers for all the replies guys, tis a nice feeling to be back

As far as Mesa's go i'm really looking for a change from them, as I said in my OP I've had an old 3 Channel Dual Rectifier for 6 years now so something a bit different would be nice. I fell in love with a Stiletto Duece when i went to Canada a while back, but it still has that Mesa sound so theyre unfortunately not what I'm looking for. Theyre also an absolute pain to find in the UK!!

I've heard exceptional things about the XTC 101b, can it do the heavy stuff well though?? The Shiva Anniversary is also supposed to be epic.

I've also had my eyes on a Diezel Herbert or even the VH4, can get them for like £1700 and £2000 respectively which seems rather good.....

311, yeah i'm mainly looking to buy new. I have bought used in the past but buying new is preferred.

I've never been a fan of the Fryette sound, like you guys said theyre REALLY dry and just not my cup of tea.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by Cathbard
RM100's seem to be overpriced in England, 311.

There was some big auction recently in england, one guy on the fretboard forum got the 50 watt combo (with two modules) for £85!

I think it's over now, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I've done a little more research myself and come to the conclusion that the VH4 at least is not my thing at all, most of the demo's ive seen either dont do them justice or just sound incredibly processed. Reminded me a lot of the VHT/Fryette stuff.

The list has so far been trimmed down to the following:

- Diezel Herbert
- Bogner XTC/Helios/Shiva 20th
- ENGL SE
- Friedman BE-100/JJ-100

Hopefully once a shipment of Bogners comes into the UK in a week or so i'll be able to try out the majority of these together and a NAD shall soon follow if there are any other suggestions please feel free to shout them out!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
I've heard good things about the PRS Archon, may be worth a look, along with blackstar series one and Egnator Armageddon if you want some other options?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Take a look at the Laney VH100R and the Carvin Legacy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X