So i've playing guitar for a year now and i still have finger pain... i have an electro acoustic guitar a fender cd60-ce mahogany and i play about 2 hours per day. my action is 5mm and i use 12 gauge strings. Do you think its normal?
Not a medical (or guitar) expert, but it doesn't sound normal to me. Maybe you've developed tendonitis or arthritis? On which hand are your fingers bothering you, the fretting hand or the picking hand?
I think the fact it's not both hands probably rules out arthritis. Probably tendonitis. Some suggestions I saw on the internet regarding fretting hand finger pain included : 1) don't use as much force to press down the strings, 2) stop playing until the pain goes away, 3) go to a doctor and get a steroid shot in the painful joints. Again, I'm not an expert.

I'd suggest taking a break until the fingers stop hurting. Or just play until the fingers start to hurt, then stop.
...are we talking finger pain as in 'joints', finger pain as in 'muscles' or that your fingertips hurt on the strings? Those are all causes by different things, and require different solutions.

If it's your joints then you might be doing something wrong. Muscular pain could mean something up with your technique, or that you're constantly pushing yourself when you're playing (think of it like exercise and aching muscles). If it's your finger tips, then yes, this could be normal. I still get sore fingertips sometimes from playing a lot, or in a way that is different to what I'm used to.

So, you might need to be a bit more specific with your question!
Good advice here. If it's the fingertips it's probably normal. I've been playing over 6 years now and sometimes I still get sore fingertips when I play something I'm not used to for extended periods of time. However, if it's not your fingertips then it's definitely worth going to a doctor if you feel it is a real issue.
That depends on the type of music you play, too - even on acoustic. I do some technical classical stuff, so it's 10s for me. Then I went to a friend's house for a weekend, all his guitars had 12s, I could still play them but my left hand was ****ED next monday. Probably a stupid question, but are your fingertips sore, or your joints?
assuming the measurements were done correctly and in the right places, 5mm action is way too high. get that sorted out quick.

this is normal for economy guitars not set up correctly and new players not realizing it. if the guitar due to construction issues can't be set up correctly and maintain that set up, then i suggest an upgrade to a better instrument.

assuming once again that you are not mashing the strings down to the wood with that kung fu grip, still a 5mm action and 12's is a bad set up. take it to a shop or you'll become an out patient surgical candidate.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 16, 2015,
Quote by adelino316
So i've playing guitar for a year now and i still have finger pain... i have an electro acoustic guitar a fender cd60-ce mahogany and i play about 2 hours per day. my action is 5mm and i use 12 gauge strings. Do you think its normal?

Get yourself checked out. Better safe than sorry.

cheers, Jerry