hey everyone. now im pretty knowledgable with computers, and shopping in genera, and im really good at finding what im looking for, and paying a really decent price for it. however, this time i am in way over my head tho. I have NO idea which motherboard i want for my new studio computer or what im looking for at all.

-computer will ONLY be used to record audio. no internet, no games, no nothing.
-building around an i5
-looking for thunderbolt compatibility for the future
-need other standard motherboard features - husb 3.0, sata 6 gb/s ect ect....
-no overclocking will be done
-budget effecient. i am building this cpu cuz my main system has crashed. i didnt plan to build a new cpu this year but i have to obviously or no more recording for me and my clients. needless to say i dont have the money for this right now, but has to happen anyhow. I want something cheap, but also with the features im going to want in the upcoming years. If i have to pay 40 or 50 dollars more for a motherboard with features i will benefit from in the future then i may as well pay that extra money.
-no gigabyte motherboards as i have heard lots of bad reviews....

if someone can point me in the right direction that would be AWESOME thank you. I have some ideas in mind, but since my specialtly is music, not computers, im just seeing blonde, brunette, redhead... i have no idea what im doing.

thanks!!
Quote by kylehaynesmus
hey everyone. now im pretty knowledgable with computers

Quote by kylehaynesmus
, im just seeing blonde, brunette, redhead... i have no idea what im doing.

Pick one

Also if you take building for the future literally, you might as well get an I7. Certain plug-ins will by design be capped by cpu power like reverbs with algorithms.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 16, 2015,
asrock z97

great price and I've used this brand in builds for years without ever a problem.
Quote by kylehaynesmus
computer will ONLY be used to record audio. no internet, no games, no nothing.
Get a macintosh, they are plain better for this kinda stuff.

Hardware support, drivers, stability, software...

They are overpriced if you only look at the hardware, but there's a lot more to it that that.
Quote by kylehaynesmus
building around an i5
For audio editing and audio processing?
Don't mean to be rude but I'm probably gonna be anyway - you don't have a clue what you want.

Again, get a mac, it's the best option considering what you want to do.

Get an i3 or an i7, you'll need to do a whole lot of parallel processing and i5's don't have multithreading.
High clock speed is preferable but very fast ram and an SSD are more important.
Quote by kylehaynesmus
looking for thunderbolt compatibility for the future
And you don't want a mac because... ?
Quote by kylehaynesmus
need other standard motherboard features - husb 3.0, sata 6 gb/s ect ect....
For what exactly, since you're not planning in using the thing for anything more than recording and editing audio?

I agree the asrock z97e would be the best compromise among the motherboards you could choose, but the cheapest imac would be better than what you're thinking about right now.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Agreed about the ram as well.

Plug-ins that work with raw audio (samples) as base scale with ram.
Plug-ins that work with calculations, (digital reproduction, soft synths based on oscillators) scale with cpu power.

There will be crossover, but it will work as a general rule.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 16, 2015,
Definitely go i7 if you can afford. I built a few AMDs for music and haven't had problems so it could be investigated as well. My last, still running PC desktop is AMD quad processor through DFI motherboard (sadly now defunct manufacturer).

I've had very good results with Gigabyte mobos, but in this case if you want to avoid you can go with the upscale gamer series by ASUS/RoG. I've built a few for friends and have found them to be very good. Haven't had issues with MSI either.

Finding the drivers a few years later for a reinstall seemed on RoG to be a bit of a b*tch though:
http://rog.asus.com/where-to-buy/

There are some PC builders that guarantee their builds and test beforehand for audio production, so might want to look into that as well, get yourself even a rackmountable piece.

I guess Mac is not out of the question, I still regret going Win7 for my latest music production laptop after ditching my aging Mac. It was 1/2 price of similar Mac machine, but boy...it shows.

One of the things that I've always had problem with was getting quiet fans for new builds...so far can't say I've been successful even with ones that are labelled as low noise.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 16, 2015,
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H is what I'm running. USB 3.0, HDMI out, SLi/X-fire ready, i3/i5/i7, Sata 6GB, etc. I have an i5 4690k, and 16 GB PC1600, 120GB Samsung 850 EVO, and I haven't had any problem mixing 5-6 tracks at a time, with zero issues or hesitation. Not heavily drenched in effects, mostly just practicing timing and layout, and a little reverb or disortion. Seems like it has plenty of power left on tap though. My CPU meter rarely tops 40%.
ESP LTD H-1007 Dlx | MH-301 | EC-1000 Dlx | Viper 300| Epi SG Spec Ed
Ibanez RG7421 | SA160 | Yamaha G-120 Classical (1972) | F-335 | Squier Mini Strat

Marshall DSL40C | Peavey Classic 30 | Boss ME-50

Steinberg UR242 | M-Audio BX8d2/SBX10
You could mix 20 audio tracks on a core 2 duo from 2006. Cpu hardly does anything with raw audio data. I'd almost say a Gpu is more needed for the accurate drawing off EQ spectrums at fine details in real time.

CPU is for effects/processing. It's basically a calculator. Raw audio goes in ram and gets loaded in and out. That's why you can freeze a track that lags with fx and all the lag disappears instantly.

A faster cpu does help reduce noise. It can output the same performance at less power, which means less heat = less cooling needed = more silent fan.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 17, 2015,
If you're on a budget and not overclocking, why would you bother going with Z97?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!